AVR setup help - Quad or 4.1 or ??

Emile

OK; need some help please :) (Got some new rear speakers - RB-75's - and trying to figure out how to set it up.)

FYI, original AVR (Onkyo TX-RZ810) setup was with (also new) L/R RC-7's (via speaker outputs) and rear Cornwall's. Rears were setup as a "pseudo quad" configuration using "zone-2 pre/line out with a separate amp and L/R and phase reversed. Sub (hardly ever used) is on sub preout. Zone-2 pre-line out also powers (via preamp and Crown K1) KPT-904's with a JBL HF section. Currently have the RB-75's hooked up the same way, using a cheap Chinese class D amp.

Thinking off going back to a simpler configuration - i.e. 4.1 from my AVR, keeping the same KPT-904 setup. (Note; was running as a 7.1 many, many years ago.)

Questions:

1. Can I run the rear speakers from the AVR "surround-back" terminals? Note; wire run to the back speakers is about 50-75 feet (across my attic).

2. Will I have "real surround" sound as compared to my earlier "pseudo-quad" setup?

3. More questions to come :) 

Here is a link to the Onkyo TX-RZ810 ... https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-rz810_bas_adv_manual_en.pdf ... haha; don't expect you to read all 105 pages :) 

Many thanks for the help and advise.

Cheers, Emile

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

Why is almost everything on Zone 2 ?

Thanks; seemed like the "easiest" solution when I set it up originally.  Zone 2 is a pre-line out, so assume it has all channels. Zone 1 (main) only gives me front/center/surround/back, i.e. no "full signal."

18 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Do those pre-out connections work for your speaker arrangement?

Sorry; not 100% sure what you mean. Yes; pre line outs (zone 2) work just fine (split to Crown/KPT-904's and rears with amp). Just wanted to switch the rear speakers to "speaker out" AVR as I will loose my "rear amp." (Haven't done it yet as it is "murder" to get to the AVR connections :( 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

the JBL horns you told us all about are working out really good for my system!

Great; glad to hear ... think they are indeed an improvement over the K-510's :)