Anyone Know Where to Buy Acoustically Transparent Screen Material?

jjptkd

So going off the Chief Boneheads advice I've been trying to source some screen material but so far have been coming up empty-- my plan is to make some custom grill covers out of it to try and achieve a flatter response out of my KPT speakers. The speakers are tuned "hot" in the midrange to counteract the effects of being behind a screen so it makes sense the easiest way to deal with that is to just simply recreate the environment for which they were designed for. Thought I'd give it a shot anyways see how it goes if you know where to source some scrap material or a reasonably priced used screen please let me know thanks!

Jesse

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dave A said:

For me on some KPT-904's where the K-510 + DE75 drivers were too hot I used an L-Pad to tame them down. Never thought about using a movie screen.

Problem is from what I've read the speakers are hot at and above 2khz with my 325's crossover point is 900hz? so just dropping the whole horn driver would unnecessarily and possibly detrimentally cut the mids 900-2000hz? Plus my 335's are 3-way but bi-ampable I tried reducing the HF output to better match the LF but seemed I could easily start to hear the woofer stand out almost right away with only minor adjustments. 

I have a mini-DSP and Mic now just need to hook it all up and do some measuring with bass boost on my TG-IV running through my Carver tube amp things sound really good already so haven't felt the need or rush to change anything. 

4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Problem is from what I've read the speakers are hot at and above 2khz with my 325's crossover point is 900hz? so just dropping the whole horn driver would unnecessarily and possibly detrimentally cut the mids 900-2000hz? Plus my 335's are 3-way but bi-ampable I tried reducing the HF output to better match the LF but seemed I could easily start to hear the woofer stand out almost right away with only minor adjustments. 

I have a mini-DSP and Mic now just need to hook it all up and do some measuring with bass boost on my TG-IV running through my Carver tube amp things sound really good already so haven't felt the need or rush to change anything. 

My experience has been that the HF will make or break your setup faster then anything else. When I was dialing in a resistor L-Pad for a two way on the HF side of things merely going an additional estimated .5 DB in attenuation took sound from really great to ho hum. It does not take much to be over or under the sweet spot. My favorite two way from Klipsch is the KPT-456. Meant for main or side fill sound and not this THX movie crap they were just musical with no harsh edges. When I got some KPT-904's with OEM crossovers they were shrill and unpleasant and only an L-Pad fixed that problem. I am sure someone with greater knowledge of crossovers could tell you what to do better then I can.

Looking into a MINI DSP also and if my Super MWM is any indication going active will get you better results then passive though a PITA to learn and implement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave A said:

Looking into a MINI DSP also and if my Super MWM is any indication going active will get you better results then passive though a PITA to learn and implement.

Yeah when work slows a bit I'll dive in and give it a try my 325's are 2-way and I have a Sunfire 200x7 on hand so going active is a possibility and something I will eventually play around with and as an added benefit would open up them up to experimenting with different horn drivers like the Faital Pro's or the DE-750's.