SOLD: Cary SLP-98P Pre-Amp - Price Reduction

michaelwjones

More house cleaning.

This 2018 vintage preamp was retubed in 2021 with NOS tubes: Telefunken smooth plates for the phono section, RCA & Sylvania 6SN7s and to the best of my recollection, Amperex 12AX7s. The silver face unit has no sonic or mechanical issues and the most minor of swirls and smudges in the black gloss painted chassis.

The SLP-98P incorporates pairs of 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes, for MM phono gain and buffering, respectively. Covers for the phono tubes to help prevent microphonics;  RIAA equalization and mu-metal shielding on the chassis.

The Cary preamp uses a separate box to house its power supply containing a frame-type transformer, a choke, and two smoothing capacitors.  The power supply has separate regulators for the two channels' filament and B+ voltages. This are connected to the preamp through a multi-conductor umbilical cord.

The SLP-98P has a volume/balance-control beginning with pair of 100k ohm pots (one for each channel) for adjusting balance, continuing to an remote controlled Alps pot. The selector switch is a five-position rotary and there are separate two-way toggle switches for muting and the tape monitor. The back row has the five pairs of input jacks, plus monitor loop and two pairs of outputs.

For more information: https://www.caryaudio.com/products/slp-98/

The unit comes with its original double packing, manual and remote.

$2400 including shipping to you. Local pickup is fine.

SLP 98 - 1.jpeg

SLP 98 - 2.jpeg

SLP 98 - 3.jpeg

SLP 98 - 4.jpeg

SLP 98 - 5.jpeg

SLP 98 - 6.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is on the fence due to high shipping costs, I am headed to Jackson Center, Ohio next week and and bring the unit. My route takes me through Nashville, Bowling Green, Louisville, Cinci and Dayton. Please let me know ASAP and we’ll make arrangements Thanks.

• michaelwjones changed the title to FS: Cary SLP-98P Pre-Amp - Price Reduction

Price reduction to $2400 with all those NOS tubes. Telefunken smooth plates in the phono section! You can't do much better.

I am headed to Jackson Center, Ohio this week and and can bring the unit. My route takes me through Nashville, Bowling Green, Louisville, Cinci and Dayton. Please let me know ASAP and we’ll make arrangements Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

Now yer talkin…….

But seriously, I got away from vinyl 25 years ago because 1) there was a digital component somewhere in nearly all recordings, so why not go straight to DDD in a CD (just like MoFi now :-0 ) and 2) I hate clicks, pops & ticks. No Burwin, DBX or Phase got rid of them and I was using a VPI record cleaning, stylast, etc. So, what's the rationale or thrill with needing to get up every 20 minutes to clean & flip (just like I did with Laserdiscs...).

• Like 1

Just a random thought that has nothing to do with buying or selling of your product: I have 2 of those units. Both have been modified/ upgraded by the Factory to F1 status. One still has bypass caps, one does not. In both cases, they sound so much better than stock. I mention this because if you decide to keep it, you might find it to be one of the best little pre's you have ever heard with a little tweaking.

16 hours ago, kevinmi said:

Both have been modified/ upgraded by the Factory to F1 status. One still has bypass caps, one does not. In both cases, they sound so much better than stock. 

Actually, that has been my thought. Which do you think sounds "better?" Mind you, Shaky has not yet convinced me to go back to vinyl, so CDs through LSIIs are the usual path.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:43 AM, michaelwjones said:

Actually, that has been my thought. Which do you think sounds "better?" Mind you, Shaky has not yet convinced me to go back to vinyl, so CDs through LSIIs are the usual path.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late response, haven't been on here in a while. I prefer the one without bypass caps, but is has been upgraded twice by Cary with the latest expensive goodies.

• michaelwjones changed the title to SOLD: Cary SLP-98P Pre-Amp - Price Reduction