Recommendations on Walnut oil that matches Chorus II's?

im sure you know but the grains will not match & when you stain oak the grain can get darker in areas where walnut has a more even smooth grain so the color stays more consistent. 

a walnut colored stain from minwax or other brands should get them as close as possible color wise. follow the instructions on teh can & they will probably need a light sanding after applying it since stains will usually raise the grain & as i mentioned oak is probably he worst for that. another product is howards restore-a-finish or watco rejuvinating oil in walnut or dark walnut, that wont be as strong as real stain so might be a little more mild on the color. any product you use will get darker the longer it sits or the more coats are applied.    

• Like 1

The Chorus II's are a light walnut, so I wonder if it might be better to just use Oak on the other speakers to darken them some. I'm not looking for an exact match. Oak sounds like it might be easier to work with. Actually I also plan on doing a pair of Black KG 2.5's too. I have a Oak Heresy II between the Chorus II's that doesn't look out of place. I might just do the black set and call it. 

• Like 1

I just did the same thing.  Epic is correct, you cannot match the grains. 

As far as stain, I have plain old Minwax from the Home Depot. 

You really want to mix different stains and try test pieces until you get the color (or close to the color) that you want.  Little plastic 'to go' sauce cups work well (the solo ones with the lids)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soupy1970 said:

The Chorus II's are a light walnut, so I wonder if it might be better to just use Oak on the other speakers to darken them some. I'm not looking for an exact match. Oak sounds like it might be easier to work with. Actually I also plan on doing a pair of Black KG 2.5's too. I have a Oak Heresy II between the Chorus II's that doesn't look out of place. I might just do the black set and call it. 

yes you can apply more oak stain to darken them... but oak stains are usually a different color tone than walnut,  oaks are just tanish browns,  walnut gets a orangeish red hue to it.  

i would do like tigerwood mentioned, buy some of the smaller cans of stain & look at the board of colors they usually have in the stain isle,  i think a true walnut stain will be a better match to the walnut speakers, even though the grains will obviously be different.  test on the bottom board to see what looks best before doing the top & sides.  

43 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

yes you can apply more oak stain to darken them... but oak stains are usually a different color tone than walnut,  oaks are just tanish browns,  walnut gets a orangeish red hue to it.  

i would do like tigerwood mentioned, buy some of the smaller cans of stain & look at the board of colors they usually have in the stain isle,  i think a true walnut stain will be a better match to the walnut speakers, even though the grains will obviously be different.  test on the bottom board to see what looks best before doing the top & sides.  

I think that I mixed Walnut and Mahogany 1:1 but I also had to stain some Alder and don't remember the exact mix.

One more thing, the color will be lighter or darker depending on how much stain that you use (within a very narrow range, but you can see a difference).