Early Rebel Q:

grindstone

Mr. Hunter - 

if you have the inclination to comment, that Annapolis Rebel chamber pic has been working on my head.  What I wonder is if the holes are the throat or an absorber chamber to smooth it out...or another resonator to load it under cutoff.  I can't find the exact references, but IIRC PWK had commented at various times about porting, too (ala maybe Novak and even Roy later/now) to protect the driver a little below where the horn unloads (although the pictured ones are much too short for that).  Is that thing a "normal" Rebel 1 (or was there even such a thing)?  I just threw a throat adaptor in my little Hornresp model of what I've guessed (from the patent) to be a Rebel 1 and sure-enough, it works more like the later Rebels.  It still unloads pretty high, but it kicks butt in its limited bandwidth (like seemingly everything the man did).  All I could really glean from the '53 K26/7 brochure was he was talking about basically acoustically lowpassing--like the other Rebel "LC-stuff" in the Small Corner Horns article.  So were the earlier (40's) ones the same thinking or did it evolve to that in the 50's?  Thanks for taking the time to read and for all you do!

rebel1_gutshot.jpg.3964dad3c6c6b157f7d73f71777bd221.jpg

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, the Rebel design began in 1949, and the product debuted in 1950.  Only the Rebel 1 enclosure provided an actual horn behind the driver, with the 3 holes pictured forming the "back side throat".  Paul quickly discovered that "porting" the enclosure with a slot at the back of a simple enclosure performed as well with a whole lot simpler construction.  

• Like 3