Transporting Klipschorns

I will be acquiring a pair of Klipschorns (1977's) (actually a 1977 and a 1975) and I am very excited to own a pair. The drive will be long about 3.5 hours long. I want to do my best to have them secured in a proper manner. I have a full size Silverado pick up truck and I would like to know if I can put them in the bed of the truck? I will be using moving blankets and plastic movers wrap and some tie down straps to get them home. Should I take the tops off of them? I'm not sure what style cabinets these are and have seen the suggestions from various community members about taking the tops off using the wingnuts. Also, when transporting them, to take the grills off and wrap them separately and placing them in the cab of my truck as it is an extended cab truck. They are (1977's so I would like to mitigate taking them apart if at all possible.)  I have heard suggestions to leave the tops on and wrap them up with blankets and plastic wrap, stand them up and strap them together as a single unit and then wrap more blankets and plastic wrap around them, secure them with tie down straps and I should be good? I will have an extra set of hands so the 2 of us should be capable of moving these ourselves. What are the best suggestions for this major transportation of these beautiful Khorns (1977s)? Thank you all in advance for your assistance and I really appreciate any input on this. I do have access to a small enclosed trailer as well, but gas prices as high as they are I am inclined to take my truck by itself. The trailer has no tie downs in the inside. would they be ok wrapped as a single unit like I described above? Please let me know what you think. Thanks again to all!! see photo of them below.

SmartSelect_20220630-095613_OfferUp.jpg

I have moved Khorns in the bed of a truck and in an enclosed trailer.  I definitely recommend the trailer and do this...

"...leave the tops on and wrap them up with blankets and plastic wrap, stand them up and strap them together as a single unit and then wrap more blankets and plastic wrap around them...

They will not move inside the trailer, unless you drive like an idiot or something tragic occurs.  I use styrofoam sheets (insulation) between the speakers and strap them together face to face.

20220328_174554.jpg

I always thought it was beter to transport speakers lying down, so the woofers face up-wards. This is, so the woofers can swing, if you stand them up and they receive a hard bump, you could damage them.

Now, I can imagine, this could be difficult with large speakers and I have no experience with moving them. My largest are RF3s and Heresys...

Just my two cents.

I drove 12+ hours one way to get mine.  Got an enclosed trailer.  Made it a short mini-vacation and took several days to visit some friends along the way.

That said, there is no way I'd personally transport them as a single unit.  I would pull grills off, put them in back seat or front passenger seat where they can be pampered.  I'd separate the tops from the bass bin.  Having never moved one from standing to horizontal while attached, I'm wondering if you're risking putting some stress where they connect.  It's been 20 years, but I'm recalling there's a screw or bolt or wingnut that holds them together.  Not really strong enough in my mind to help guarantee nothing happens to them.

I'd be moving six pieces.  The grills (as "a piece"), the top sections and then the bottom sections.  Reassemble when you get to destination.  They are easy to take apart, easy to put back together and you can increase the odds that nothing happens to them.

When I moved mine, as I recall, I set the bass bins on their side and then snugged them together with some BLANKETS and then straps.  (don't forget the blankets.....you really can't have too many blankets)

Congrats on getting some kick-hiney speakers!!!

• Like 1

I have moved my Klipschorns twice. First time was a long drive to Kansas City from Cincinnati. Rented a Chrysler minivan for the trip. @richieb and I hauled them from his basement after removing the tops and side grills. Do to space limitations the bass bins were placed on their sides.  Everything went well, no damage. I was able to unload them and move them into the house by myself using a four wheeled hand cart. 

The second time I rented a 27 ft box truck from Penske and moved them along with the rest of our furniture from Cincinnati to southeast North Carolina. About a 10 hour drive. Again I disassembled them. This time I wrapped the four pieces with green plastic wrap and fabricated corner guards from heavy cardboard boxes. The guards ran along the full length of every edge. I also used a rectangular piece of cardboard for the front panel. I secured all that with more plastic wrap and taped moving blankets over them. Placed the bass bins upright in the truck. We hired local muscle to move everything inside the house. Everything arrived without a scratch. 

Plan ahead, use lots of moving blankets ( Uhaul will rent them to you), protect the edges and front panel, AND do not let them get wet! 

Enjoy your new speakers! Congrats!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndreG. said:

I always thought it was beter to transport speakers lying down, so the woofers face up-wards. This is, so the woofers can swing, if you stand them up and they receive a hard bump, you could damage them.

My LaScalas (and K'horns of at least one other person I know) were shipped from the factory upright and that is how I moved them. I figured Klipsch knew what they were doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

Just curious, did you take that much care with any other possessions?

How's it going @cincymat?

Yes, my Harley Roadglide was transported with even more care! 

Kathy and I are doing well. I retired at the end of 2019 and have rediscovered my passion for golf. Play 4 times a week.  Kathy retires at the end of this year. Looking forward to traveling a lot after she calls it quits. 

How are you doing these days? 

Mark

• Like 1

@KlipschGuy559yeah , you'll be ok with transporting the speakers in your truck 's box  , but you need a layer of  wood and cardboard over the bedliner  , so that the surface is completely flat ,  lay a 4x8  on the bedliner then add thick cardboard on top  .

Cover the speakers with plastic  , then wrap them in cardboard  before moving them in the truck ,   this will protect the speakers from scratches .

• Thanks 1

Definitely take the tops off , and make sure to remove the grills. Don’t try to pick them up or slide them by the grills , tops come off super easy , knocks the speakers down to a manageable size . Stand them up and strap them down, or carefully lay them on a soft blanket face down. Get a helper who is just as careful as you and no scratches or dings . Looks like a sweet set of Khorns  🤓

• Thanks 1

Thank you to all for the excellent feedback I will leave a post after I get them home safely! I deeply appreciate the input from you all!! Thanks again and I can't wait to get these home! I have Forte 2's and have had the chance to hear the ak6 at a showroom called Common Wave in LA, so I am pretty excited to have a pair of the Khorns in my home!! 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 7:17 AM, AndreG. said:

I always thought it was better to transport speakers lying down, so the woofers face up-wards.

As has been mentioned, they can be put front down. Then the woofers are positioned with the magnets up, woofers are facing down. Old style La Scalas you can place on their backs, and the woofers will be facing the same way (down). That's how I always moved my LS as they were moved in a Chevy Blazer and Subaru Forester.

With a piece of mdf or plywood on the bed of the truck, and thick wool blankets, they will ride quite well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't already gone to get them yet, I suggest bringing a dolly to roll them to and from the truck or trailer. One that has a strap to go around the Khorns is nice to have. And bring a good quality screwdriver to undo the screws on the terminal boards so you can take the tops off. I moved mine by myself from house to UHaul truck, unloaded them myself, and up 3 flights of concrete stairs. Then back down to a house a few months later. I went slowly, and no scratches or dings on either one. You may need to take off the side grills, just don't lose the wing nuts.

New member here, but longtime owner of Klipschorns (ordered in 1998). I bought and moved my second pair of Klipschorns on June 29, the day before this thread started. Anyway, I moved them 120 miles, rented a UHaul van (15 foot), used two large pallets, removed the tops and strapped a top and bass bin separately to each pallet. I used a large piece of cardboard between the pallets and speaker parts. The bass bins were strapped down standing upright and the tops were also upright strapped to the pallet. This is how Klipsch sent my original K horns (well they also had them boxed separately and palletized). I used two ratchet straps 90 degrees apart for both tops and bottoms. The grills were removed and wrapped and boxed separately for full protection. I used Lowes moving blankets (needed 10), between the ratchet straps and the Khorns anywhere the straps would contact them. I used right angled heavy cardboard edge protectors that I saved from new furniture I purchased and had delivered.  Not sure if they can be purchased anywhere, but they are really great. These were placed between the blankets covering the edges and the ratchet straps. I oriented the metal ratchet parts to the top and used a blanket then a block of wood between the speaker tops and ratchet metal parts. I had my own dolly. They arrived in perfect condition.

Granted you could do something less than I did and still succeed, but I wasn't taking any chances as these 1980 vintage speakers are absolutely mint. And I moved these essentially by myself, with just some nominal help from others, say for example to hold straps in place while I cranked them tight and other similar actions.