Onkyo AVR - no sub out - help please

Emile

Well, got some new speakers (RB-75's and dual RC-7's) and wanted to add my sub (Dayton 15" with Dayton SA-1000 amp) "back in." NO GO :( 

AVR is an Onkyo TX-RZ810; manual is here https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-rz810_bas_adv_manual_en.pdf .  Subwoofer pre-outs do NOT seem to be working :(  AVR is less than 4 yrs old and don't really want to buy a new one :( 

Pic of the back ...

Onkyo TX-RZ810 Back

Did a lot of trouble shooting to make sure the sub and amp are working. Hooked sub up to L/R pre-out and do get sound - although not "full volume." Hooked it up to "zone-2," and better, but still limited volume. Hooked RB-75's up to sub pre-out (via cheap 50W class D amp) and seemed to get some music, but mostly static noise.

So; anyone has any bright ideas/solutions?

Many thanks, Emile 

• Like 1

Well, I'll be damned ... hooked the sub up again to sub pre-out and maybe it is working :) However, volume is pretty low as compared to the test signal which blows me out of the house. Hope it is not an intermittent problem which service centers never find :( 

• Like 1

Sub Pre-Outs on the AVR's are all the same across the brand.  You will be hard pressed to find an AVR with *any* audio out that defines them other than Pre-outs now.  Just make sure you're using Sub 1, not Sub 2.  The pre-out section may be bad if you are having volume issues and the volume on your dedicated amps is set properly.

• Thanks 1

According to the manual (RTFM), those two sub outputs (#6) are identical - intended for dual-sub home theaters.  The output coming out of them depends on how you configure the other speakers in the AVR (large vs small, cutover frequency etc).  You could have them configured to only output the LFE channel which may explain the spotty output.  In other words, they are not a traditional line-out like the "pre/line out zone-2 and zone-3" outputs that output a full-range signal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pbphoto said:

they are not a traditional line-out

Thanks! Yes, already reset speaker crossovers ... used "50Hz" for my front 45Hz RC-7's.  Will keep on playing with it :) Yeah, something is "off;" zone-3 does not work either :( 

Darn ... sub is "off" again :( 

HELP :) 

OK; took the rear RB-75's off zone-2 pre-out and connected one directly to "speaker surround" out. Nothing :(  So; tried "surround back," "height," and "speaker zone-2." NOTHING :(  Only works off "center speaker out." :( (And yes, had it set to 7.1.2 so all outputs should have been working :(Haha, is my AVR "busted?" 

46 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

sounds like the pre-section of your AVR is busted

Haha; thanks :)  Yes, just bought a Yamaha RX-V673 to use temporarily :( I'll take the Onkyo to a repair center and see what they will charge me to fix it - or I'll start shopping :) 

On 6/30/2022 at 3:14 PM, Emile said:

and wanted to add my sub (Dayton 15" with Dayton SA-1000 amp)

Emil I'm looking at the SA 1000 as a possible problem in terms of setup.

I presume you used an RCA M/M to go from AVR sub-out to SA1000 sub-in. From there it should be RCA M/M OUT from either LFE or Red to the sub.

I also presume the sub is a DIY with an RCA Female connector.  Remember if sealed sub use bass boost at 25 Hz.  Ported, no boost.

Confirm? 

Also you might consider using the high level inputs on the SA1000 which many consider the best way to connect to a sub.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Confirm?

Thanks; yes to all :)  Strange thing is that when I do an AVR speaker (sub) test, it blows me out of the room. But, when I play music it is barely audible :( Think my Onkyo has major problems :( 

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Strange thing is that when I do an AVR speaker (sub) test, it blows me out of the room. But, when I play music it is barely audible

If you've achieved success with the sub for testing then to my way of thinking you've eliminated several variables.  Something about the way you describe the problem makes me think way back to the early days of computer sound cards.  It seems to me there was one output with an 1/8th inch plug which was used for both the center channel and the sub.  Somehow in the computer's software if you chose the wrong setting it would do exactly as you describe, the sub was barely audible.  That's so far back, maybe to the 90's I can't imagine any modern AVR having that particular idiosyncrasy.  I used to own an Onk 717 but it didn't have any problems outputting to a sub.

Is there an Onkyo group you can check out, such as AVSForum.com where others might have experienced the same problem?

What is your source?  Is it your computer?

Edit:  Are you connected by HDMI?  Do you have a SPDIF optical cable you might try just to eliminate that variable?

• Thanks 1