Onkyo AVR - no sub out - help please

Emile

I seem to recall I had a similar problem back when I had a Denon x4300. The Audessy setup would nearly blow me out of the room but music or movies were very quiet. Check the software values for the sub both on the sub and in the Onkyo to be sure they are set for a reasonable level... in my case Velodyne DD was <25% of max volume.  Check your Onkyo settings for the sub eg LFE +Mains and what crossover Hz you have set for the use of the sub. Best wishes...

p.s. How / where the heck did you find 2 RB75 in BC that I didn’t see first? Rascal!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, wvu80 said:

What is your source?  Is it your computer?

Edit:  Are you connected by HDMI? 

Source  is 6 different HDMI inputs - DVD, CD, Roku, etc. Yes; all HDMI. Will try an optical cable next :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Source  is 6 different HDMI inputs - DVD, CD, Roku, etc. Yes; all HDMI. Will try an optical cable next :) 

The reason I suggested that is because I read where Onk may be having HDMI problems again.  I had the Onk 717 which had the dreaded HDMI daughterboard problems which killed the sound.

The problems with the modern Onk seemed to be the HDMI sources changing on their own, not the problem you describe.  Still, I didn't think it would hurt to try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Onk may be having HDMI problems again

Onk has a mind of its own :(  After spending the last 2 days trying to get the surround speaker outputs to work - without success - it just came on when I tried my Roku HDMI input ... WHAT THE HELL :)  OK; switched to Oppo HDMI and it is still working ... GO FIGURE :( 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well ... long story. Now 99% sure Onk is working just fine :) 

Thanks to the "experts" here I was sure my Onk had major problems.  So; replaced it with a Yamaha RX-V673 which gave me the same problems. But ... turned out I was just stupid as I tried my subwoofer with CD's that DID NOT have a subwoofer track :( Once I put in a "surround-sound" DVD everything was fine.  And, my surround speakers not working was due to it being switched to "direct," which only gives L/R :( 

Still have the Yamaha hooked up, but major problem with that unit is that HDMI inputs are NOT transferred to "zone-2." Need that to drive my Crown/KPT-904's/HF top.  Oh well; lesson learned; back to the Onk :) 

And, many kudo's to @Khornukopia who graciously let me cancel the $1 sale :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Haha 2

On 7/10/2022 at 11:57 AM, Emile said:

Well ... long story. Now 99% sure Onk is working just fine :) ... 

And, many kudo's to @Khornukopia who graciously let me cancel the $1 sale :) 

Cheers, Emile

Some AVRs have so many inputs, outputs, DSP modes and remote Zones that you often need to sketch or visualize a flowchart in order to follow the signal path. Glad that you are having good tunes again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's the problem with these new AVRs...to damn complicated to set up!  My Yamaha AVR has an easily overlooked menu item titled: "Subwoofer: ON or OFF!"  You have to find it and turn it on to add a sub! 

My 1970's Sony Receiver doesn't have any sub outs...just Speakers A&B  Front speakers on A and Sub on B (as long as your sub has speaker level (high level) inputs!)

Edited by RocketFoot
  • Like 1