Replacement Parts & Updates To KLF 20 Questions

Hamilton

I'm going to be picking up some reglued/braced KLF 20's which have updated crossovers.  One of the original woofers was cracked when he got these and purchased a "KLF 20 woofer" replacement on eBay roughly 10 years ago for it.  He stated that indeed it was a different part number and the magnet was definitely smaller but couldn't tell any audible difference, only reason these are for sale is downsizing and he has KLF 30's.  I understand that these are no longer available for replacement at Klipsch, and I see on eBay there is a company that makes woofers to "spec" for these guys.  There happens to be a perfectly good working set of KLF 20's in the area which I could technically purchase and part out/sell but would that make me a horrible person parting out perfectly good, albeit not reinforced or capacitor replaced speakers?

Currently have KG 5.5's with Crites crossovers and titanium tweeters, these are going to the rear of the room for these KLF 20s.  Was going to do the same titanium treatment for these guys however see the MAHL drop in horns appear to be game changers.  Am I destroying a classic car with updated suspension and airbags etc here?  LOL  It appears to me that these series of speakers were excellent as is but kind of nerfed to make sure they didn't outshine other Klipsch speakers and perhaps these machine drop ins could really bring these up a notch.  What do you guys think here?

21 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

What do you guys think here?

save yourself a lot of money ,  the real McCoy for the best Sound  is the   klipsch Heresy III , Heresy IV ,  Cornwall III , Cornwall IV , TItanium  tweeter diaphragm , it  is superior to the B&C   tweeters that come with the MAHL or the Crites   ..........plus it's designed to fit like a glove for the KLF -20 Tweeter and it's even used on +  250wpc rated  klipsch Pro Cinema speakers -

klipsch part no  is 127123 and costs about $35 each ,,,,,,shipping included  .

• Haha 1

"it  is superior to the B&C   tweeters"  

have you done some kind of testing to confirm this statement?  if so can you post the test or some type of info to back up this claim? 

i have no experience comparing the 2 different diaphragms but myself & countless others are more than happy with their crites titaniums for decades so would like to see proof of this claim.  same goes for all the crites crossover/cap bashing....    

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 001 said:

save yourself a lot of money ,  the real McCoy for the best Sound  is the   klipsch Heresy III , Heresy IV ,  Cornwall III , Cornwall IV , TItanium  tweeter diaphragm , it  is superior to the B&C   tweeters that come with the MAHL or the Crites   ..........plus it's designed to fit like a glove for the KLF -20 Tweeter and it's even used on +  250wpc rated  klipsch Pro Cinema speakers -

I just this morning stumbled upon the post about Klipsch offering this direct so forgot to even include that.  The Crites tweeters in the KG 5.5 definitely made a big difference from the OEM ones that were in there so in your estimation the Klipsch tweeter upgrades are technically better still?

9 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

have you done some kind of testing to confirm this statement?  if so can you post the test or some type of info to back up this claim? 

Of course there hasn't been any testing, because this is purely BS misinformation.  The DE120 driver used in the Crites CT120 and the DaveA SMAHL are the clearly superior drivers.  The following two gentlemen actually HAVE done the testing, and HAVE the info to back it up.  @ClaudeJ1  @Dave A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Hamilton said:

so in your estimation the Klipsch tweeter upgrades are technically better still?

yep ,  STANDARD equipment .......... klipsch Heresy IV , Cornwall IV  , so that should say something 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Of course there hasn't been any testing, because this is purely BS misinformation.  The DE120 driver used in the Crites CT120 and the DaveA SMAHL are the clearly superior drivers.  The following two gentlemen actually HAVE done the testing, and HAVE the info to back it up.  @ClaudeJ1  @Dave A

Actually, it's only me that did the testing. Dave is the CNC wizard that created them for me to test. He also was crazy enough about sound to build some of my more rare designs, including the Super MWM!

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

4 hours ago, 001 said:

Cheap words and NO Curves, leaves suspicion intact.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 001 said:

Piling Bullshit higher doesn't make it smell any better. The "best sound" is a matter of taste from a live hearing and ownership, which I find hard to believe you even qualify for this or generating data to back it up. You waste everyone's time when you do this. But hey, it's a free country. Happy Independence Day!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

"it  is superior to the B&C   tweeters"  

i have no experience comparing the 2 different diaphragms but myself & countless others are more than happy with their crites titaniums for decades so would like to see proof of this claim.  same goes for all the crites crossover/cap bashing....    

Based on prior history going back as far as you like, THAT will never happen.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Piling Bullshit higher doesn't make it smell any better. The "best sound" is a matter of taste from a live hearing and ownership, which I find hard to believe you even qualify for this or generating data to back it up. You waste everyone's time when you do this. But hey, it's a free country. Happy Independence Day!

Cmon Claude ,   are you saying klipsch  are piling the BS on all of us when they install   klipsch part no  127123 in  award winning klipsch Heresy III , Heresy IV ,  Cornwall III , Cornwall IV  speakers   ,and Finally ,  are you implying that klipsch does not  have State of  the art  technology with Data to back it up  , while they offer a klipsch 10 year warranty on the entire speaker .

32 minutes ago, 001 said:

Cmon Claude ,   are you saying klipsch  are piling the BS on all of us when they install   klipsch part no  127123 in  award winning klipsch Heresy III , Heresy IV ,  Cornwall III , Cornwall IV  speakers   ,and Finally ,  are you implying that klipsch does not  have State of  the art  technology with Data to back it up  , while they offer a klipsch 10 year warranty on the entire speaker .

No, I'm saying it about YOU, not Klipsch. Besides, real modders are not constrained by bean counters and production volumes. Besides, even if you had owned and measured the speakers you listed (doubtful), you can't have both v III and v IV be the "best" of Cornwall or Heresy. There can only be one of those, which makes it a bullshit comment.

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

you can't have both v III and v IV be the "best" of Cornwall or Heresy. There can only be one of those, which makes it a bullshit comment.

Stay focused  , the  Ti tweeter diaphragm  is shared among numerous  klipsch speakers including the H II - H IV - CW III - CW IV   , now  since you do not seem to understand that 1 TI tweeter diaphragm is used in several klipsch speakers  to maintain the klipsch Heritage Sound Signature ,  I really wonder if you know anything about klipsch speakers  .

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Heresy-III-Spec-Sheet-v06.pdf

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Heresy-IV-Spec-Sheet-v03.pdf

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/Cornwall-III-Spec-Sheet-v03.pdf

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Cornwall-2019-Spec-Sheet-v03.pdf

22 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Claude, I can’t wait….how fun.

3 hours ago, 001 said:

Stay focused  , the  Ti tweeter diaphragm  is shared among numerous  klipsch speakers including the H II - H IV - CW III - CW IV   , now  since you do not seem to understand that 1 TI tweeter diaphragm is used in several klipsch speakers to maintain the klipsch Heritage Sound Signature ,  I really wonder if you know anything about klipsch speakers  .

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Heresy-III-Spec-Sheet-v06.pdf

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Heresy-IV-Spec-Sheet-v03.pdf

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/Cornwall-III-Spec-Sheet-v03.pdf

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Cornwall-2019-Spec-Sheet-v03.pdf

Obviously, you don't know about the other materials that are far superior to Titanium for tweeters.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:25 PM, 001 said:

On 7/1/2022 at 3:25 PM, RandyH said:

I really wonder if you know anything about klipsch speakers  .

Since you wonder, and post it as an insult to a respected member. I have learned a lot more about speakers from Claude on the forum, than from reading other people's GLWYS and congrats over and over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2