Can a Klipsch RP-600C be used vertically as a L and R Channel?

doni01

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone can help me. I have a situation where I only have about 25 inches below my screen. Therefore I was wondering if any of the Klipsch centers such as the RP250C or 600C would work vertically as a LCR? I do realize that the 90x90 Hybrid Tractric Horn on the Klipsch should have an even dispersion even with them seatting vertically. Is that correct or am I wrong here? Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

The quick answer is "yes" the MTM 600C can be used as a L/C/R. 

I would not advise it as the Klipsch center speaker is voiced to be a center, not a main.  I can't answer technically but a good guess would be that the 600C would not dig as deep as mains and the voicing would be geared towards reproducing male and female voices and vocals in the mid range.

Minor thread drift:  I tend to like the timbre in center speakers with 6 to 7 inch woofers.  I use the RC-64 III which uses four 6.5" woofs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

The quick answer is "yes" the MTM 600C can be used as a L/C/R. 

I would not advise it as the Klipsch center speaker is voiced to be a center, not a main.  I can't answer technically but a good guess would be that the 600C would not dig as deep as mains and the voicing would be geared towards reproducing male and female voices and vocals in the mid range.

Minor thread drift:  I tend to like the timbre in center speakers with 6 to 7 inch woofers.  I use the RC-64 III which uses four 6.5" woofs.

Thank you! Problem is that I only have 25" from bottom of the screen to the ground therefore can't use anything taller than that...

2 minutes ago, Emile said:

Don't know about the RP models, but I am using RC-7's as L/R and they work great :) (Have them horizontal.)

Thank you. I can not use them horizontal only vertical unfortunately...☹️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Don't think that would make any difference :) 

Thank you again. That is what I thought but then heard someone saying on how the horn has to be rotated. It confused me since it is a 90x90 therefore didn't think it needed. But I could be wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Don't know about the RP models, but I am using RC-7's as L/R and they work great :) (Have them horizontal.)

Is there any reason you can't use Emile's idea?  ^^^

I also have turned large speakers on their side.  Maybe not perfect by some metric but to my ears it sounded pretty good.

CF-4's as L/R.  Dual 12" woofers

5a5da46ced990_CF-4Computersetupright1.thumb.jpg.68053bc463f650c39d6fc1fc468dacc0.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I also have turned large speakers on their side.  Maybe not perfect by some metric but to my ears it sounded pretty good.

5a5da46ced990_CF-4Computersetupright1.thumb.jpg.68053bc463f650c39d6fc1fc468dacc0.jpg

Wow talking about big speakers 😲 Those must sound amazing! Reason why I can't do it is that, I also have two subs under that screen, therefore will not be any room over the subs for the speaker to go side ways...The whole wall is 92" in length and my subs are about 17" each in width. So 34" is taken by them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MC39693 said:

A Heresy is <22 inches high. L/R Heresy, RC-7 centre and you are set. 

That is a great idea as well! I was looking at the RP's since the rest of my speakers are of the same line...Will they timbre match if mixed?

16 hours ago, doni01 said:

the horn has to be rotated. It confused me since it is a 90x90 therefore didn't think it needed.

Actually not that critical ... had K-510's (90x30??) turned vertical and no problem :) 

1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

I use 4 Heresy

Used to have Heresies as L/C/R ... switched to RC-7's as L/R and actually think it is an improvement :) 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Sorry off-topic: Here You can see what is called a "Klipsch-Head" in his man-cave!

I hope You don´t mind Dave @wvu80, but this photo is so spot on. I like those Epics!

Please carry on.

• Thanks 1

off-axis response among multiple seating positions is actually far superior with them being vertical and it's easily provable.  Much flatter.  With it being horizontal you get wonky dips in the response from lobing / comb filtering shenanigans.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, Paducah Home Theater said:

off-axis response among multiple seating positions is actually far superior with them being vertical and it's easily provable.  Much flatter.  With it being horizontal you get wonky dips in the response from lobing / comb filtering shenanigans.  

Thank you! I was wondering if you can help me with one more question. What do you think as far as going with three of these upfont as a LCR vs going with three KL-650 Ultra's ? I have been going back and fourth between them and I am kind of torn...By the way it will be in a 7.4.4 set up for only movies.

Edited by doni01