Advice a a tube amp looking at Mackintosh Mc225 a dscware Zen Torii junior. Anyone got suggestions

vigiano

I'm looking to improve my stereo sound. I recently added a Vincent Phi 700 phono preamp and liked the tube sound so much I thought I'd try tubes. I presently have a Marantz 7007 7 channel amp with the the 3 front speakers running thru my Emotiva Xpa3. I also play my digital music with an Oppo 203. I'm hoping to get a cleaner  sound. What tube amp would help. I spoke to Steve at Decware and he suggested the Zen Torii Junior. How does this compare to a Macintosh mc225?

Decware amps are great. I've used a few different one's over the years(not the Torii Junior, however). That said, if you can find and afford a 225, not only are you getting arguably the best sounding of the classic Mac tube amps, but it's a piece of history that will only appreciate in value over the years. Of course, it will need to be restored by somebody who knows how to restore McIntosh classic amps (assuming it already hasn't been) unless you are able to do it yourself. 

I own a 225 and use it regularly with my La Scala's and it's a wonderful match.

• Like 2

I spoke to someone today with a mc240 for $3200. One tube was broken in his antique store. They all light up, but he knows nothing else about it and he said I could test it, but I don't know how it will work with a tube broken. I is the mc240 as good as the mc225?

There are new tubes for the MC225 and the MC240, e.g. the 7591 from JJ for the MC225 and any 6L6 for the MC240. Which one sounds better I don't know but I have heard a lot of good things about the MC225. The MC240 will also be a great amp. I have a MC275 and I am very satisfied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vigiano said:

I spoke to someone today with a mc240 for $3200. One tube was broken in his antique store. They all light up, but he knows nothing else about it and he said I could test it, but I don't know how it will work with a tube broken. I is the mc240 as good as the mc225?

I own and love the 240. But like the 225 it's a very old amp, and will need a complete restoration by a trusted tech before it's used. I wouldn't even bother testing it in it's present state. If it's in an antique store, I'm guessing it hasn't been used in a long time.

It's a mc240 and I just looked at a video on servicing this amp. He changed the lowercase and tested the tubes and all the bumblebees caps that lined up in the middle of the amp. Quite a job. He said you either buy the testing equipment or change every cap. Thank you for the info, but I'm thinking the mc240 is just such a large beast I may choose to go with a Zen.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...