Forte II integrated amp pairing - Quad Vena 2, Cambridge Audio cax61, Rotel A14

Netscout

Hello all. I currently have a Marantz NR1605 with pre-outs to a pair of bridged mono Rotel RB 951s. Rotels were bought separately at different garage sales and no work has been done on them. They are running a pair of walnut oil Forte IIs that I also scored at a garage sale ($20, woohoo!). I replaced the passive radiators in those, but otherwise they are stock. Source material is almost exclusively from a gen 3 Bluesound Node 2021 (combination Amazon HD Streaming and some flac files from a Mac mini with Roon) using the Node’s built-in DAC. My goal is to simplify down to one box and improve the sound with a more modern integrated amp. The Rotels are getting wonky and I’m ready to make them someone else’s problem. No longer need the AV features in the Marantz. Looking for that $1k sweet spot (but hey, I do love a bargain!). Requirements are built-in DAC, phono capable (for down the road), and a remote. Nothing old. Room is 18x14. I’ve looked at reviews for Rega, Rotel a14, Cambridge cax61, Quad Vena II, and a few others. Quad Vena II seems interesting, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it pushing the Heritage line speakers. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Edited by Netscout
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So, didn’t get replies here but I thought I’d check in with an update. Settled on a Musical Fidelity M2si integrated amp. It came down to a choice between the M2si and an Arcam SA20. The MF was the better deal, so that’s where I landed. Got a Topping ES30 to handle DAC responsibilities. Anyway, amp arrived today and I had about 15 minutes to play with it before running to the airport to hop on a flight. Thing is sweet! Gigantic improvement over the old system which moves to the bedroom. And it’s a pretty piece of equipment to boot. Won’t be back home until Friday, so I should have some time over the weekend to really delve into it.

• Thanks 1

Interesting that you name so many British amps. Congratulations on your purchase, Netscout. I am running my hifi for half a year with used Quad 34 and Quad 306 feeding 1977 LaScalas or Stirling Broadcast LS3/6. I had used these amps new 35 years ago for 10 years, then sold them and after that I listened only tubes for 25 years now, mainly Mcintosh C22CE and MC275 Mk/4.
With my "new old" Quad 34/306 bought this year, I have replaced all electrolytic capacitors and I am absolutely amazed how very good it sounds...even compared to the expensive Mcintosh units it is not worlds apart.

• Thanks 1

I grew up in the late 70s and 80s with my step-dad’s hi-fi system. Yamaha receiver, Phillips turntable, Nakamichi cassette deck, but at the core we’re his Cornwalls. As soon as I’d saved enough money in the 90s, after I’d gotten my own place I went out and bought a pair of black ash Quartets, which I still have. Replaced them with the Forte IIs about 6-7 years ago. But this is the first time I’ve strayed away from an AV receiver. Also, the wife loves the look of the Musical Fidelity, which helps of course. Going from three ugly boxes to one pretty box was a key part of the sales pitch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KT88 said:

Interesting that you name so many British amps. Congratulations on your purchase, Netscout. I am running my hifi for half a year with used Quad 34 and Quad 306 feeding 1977 LaScalas or Stirling Broadcast LS3/6. I had used these amps new 35 years ago for 10 years, then sold them and after that I listened only tubes for 25 years now, mainly Mcintosh C22CE and MC275 Mk/4.
With my "new old" Quad 34/306 bought this year, I have replaced all electrolytic capacitors and I am absolutely amazed how very good it sounds...even compared to the expensive Mcintosh units it is not worlds apart.

Quad appealed to me. They’re just harder to find over here in the used market. The idea of the Arcam SA20 running in class A for the first 12 watts or whatever was intriguing with the sensitivity of the Fortes. But again, finding the right deal was challenging with the dearth of options in the used market. I’ll run through some test tracks and write something up over the weekend. Maybe post some pics.

• Like 1