2-way active system

Thaddeus Smith

Resurrecting this listing. We've moved into a new house and I used this for a bit in the living room, but have since decided to change things up and these are too big for my office.

As we build our new house I'm considering an overall downsize and simplification of my living room system. We mostly watch TV and play background music in the living room and it's a bit of a waste. I'll have a dedicated office and now work from home, so I want my HiFi system in there. It's only 11.5x11.5, however, and this setup will just fit but I'm not sure how well it will sound in there with only about 6-8ft of listening distance.

As a package:

• 2x LS bass bins from 1988. Tops were chopped and I've added 3/4" plywood to the tops,R/L sides, and bottoms. I routed out the naturally occurring bottom cavities in the back and added speak on connectors. Painted flat black. Nice appearance, but not perfect.
  •  
  • 2x HF sections. Each consists of 2 stacked Large ESS AMT 1 drivers, wired in series. Each stack is installed in a custom birch ply wing enclosure. Painted flat black.
  •  
  • 1x Yamaha SP-2060 digital crossover. Excellent condition. Moved to separate thread.
  •  
  • 1x lab gruppen C 10:8x amp (currently running 4 channels bridged for all HF and LF sections) No longer available.
  •  
  • Cables to connect DSP to amp, amp to speakers. No longer available

The paint is ok, but nothing remarkable. I'd consider it a good base/primer layer. Open to trade offers for smaller footprint speakers of good audio quality (Buchardt, JBL, Klipsch, etc)

$2,500 $1,250 for everything above, local pickup or figure out your own shipping/pony express.

Here's my old build thread for the LS bass bins, some rough ideas on what was done:

• Like 1

• Thaddeus Smith changed the title to FS: 3-way active system and amps **updated pricing and parting out**
  • Thaddeus Smith changed the title to 2-way active system, yamaha DSP and amp
8 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Crazy lack of interest on anything listed.

I don't believe that it's a lack of interest. As you know. this site used to be full of fun people who were knowledgeable and helpful, now it's not and we know why. 

I would love to have and hear your system. GLWYS.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2024 at 9:16 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

Is a price drop to $2,000 more attractive? Crazy lack of interest on anything listed. Feel free to ping me with offers on individual components as well.

I remember when you were in the process of building these. They look great. Without reading back through that thread, how do you like the results?

Results were fantastic - enough to keep me from wanting to change things up for 4 years. They're just too big for how we want to use the living room now in the new house and in my office it's basically nearfield at 1m for the MLP and everything just smears.