Klipsch Boat Speakers

MarcusP1

Hello!

I recently purchased a boat and it came with Klipsch speakers, for the most part, the speakers work perfectly, however, I noticed that when the ignition is turned on popping-like sounds come from one of the tower units, it occurs when the power is turned on and when the music is on or off. It seems to be random as sometimes we can go 15 minutes without issue. I also observed that when this popping noise happens both speakers in the unit push outwards. 

I've attached a video with a phone positioned on top of the set of tower speakers so you can hear it happen.

I've posted this question on a few boating forums as well as here as I'm struggling to find information. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

IMG_3647.jpg.705dfa5a75c4c342e237c8175b43aba5.jpg

First thing to check is every connection related to the speakers.  It may be something as simple as a loose screw.  Over time, vibration, especially on a boat, can cause screws to back off slightly, causing them to break and remake connections intermittently.  Also, corrosion can get started under screws and washers, even on speakers in living rooms.  It's recommended to periodically loosen and retighten every screw in the wiring, even the ones on the crossovers.  No need to over-tighten, just loosen and retighten snugly.  Periodically in this case means every 5-10 years, so it's not something to worry about all the time.

Let us know if that fixes your problem.  BTW, do the lights on the sound system blink when this happens?  That would suggest a problem with the power connections to the amplifier.  Same deal.  Check for loose screws, and loosen half a turn or so before retightening.  

Good luck!

On 7/8/2022 at 5:05 AM, Islander said:

First thing to check is every connection related to the speakers.  It may be something as simple as a loose screw.  Over time, vibration, especially on a boat, can cause screws to back off slightly, causing them to break and remake connections intermittently.  Also, corrosion can get started under screws and washers, even on speakers in living rooms.  It's recommended to periodically loosen and retighten every screw in the wiring, even the ones on the crossovers.  No need to over-tighten, just loosen and retighten snugly.  Periodically in this case means every 5-10 years, so it's not something to worry about all the time.

Let us know if that fixes your problem.  BTW, do the lights on the sound system blink when this happens?  That would suggest a problem with the power connections to the amplifier.  Same deal.  Check for loose screws, and loosen half a turn or so before retightening.  

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

No lights blinking and I checked the connections to the amp and all seemed fine, didn't dare to open any of the speakers as I have no idea what I am doing. Managed to send my dealer videos of it occurring and took note of what we were doing when the crackling occurs. It got a whole lot worse today and suddenly went from working perfectly for 3 hours to crackling from 4 different speakers. Sent the video which I will post here and he's suspecting the AMP is faulty, they are ordering a new one this week.

• Like 1

Sounds intermittent of course.

Good you got in touch.

Especially salt water a corrosive environment. Could still be a connection problem. Contact spray may be a thing.

Let us know what the fix is. Loose wire, etc...

Thanks!

• Like 1

Even a poor ground connection could cause symptoms like this.  BTW, is your boat new and covered by a warranty?  If so, would you be able park your boat at the dealer's until it's fixed to your satisfaction?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Islander said:

Even a poor ground connection could cause symptoms like this.  BTW, is your boat new and covered by any warranty?  If you, would you be able park your boat at the dealer's until it's fixed to your satisfaction?

It comes with 5 years warranty on things like speakers and 10 year / 1000 hour engine warranty. I just send my dealer a message with any issue and they jump straight on it, attempting to fix it where it stays during the summer or they will tow it back to the workshop and go from there! The dealer has said as soon as the new amp arrives he will travel to the boat and install it and test it, hopefully, this resolves it!

Edited by MarcusP1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Sounds intermittent of course.

Good you got in touch.

Especially salt water a corrosive environment. Could still be a connection problem. Contact spray may be a thing.

Let us know what the fix is. Loose wire, etc...

Thanks!

I shall keep you updated, our boat is kept in freshwater only, just hit 14 hours on the engine today so it is still pretty much brand new.

Hopefully, the fix is simple and takes little time!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MarcusP1 said:

It comes with 5 years warranty on things like speakers and 10 year / 1000 hour engine warranty. I just send my dealer a message with any issue and they jump straight on it, attempting to fix it where it stays during the summer or they will tow it back to the workshop and go from there! The dealer has said as soon as the new amp arrives he will travel to the boat and install it and test it, hopefully, this resolves it!

It sounds like your dealer wants to get this sorted without delay.  That's great!  There are still lots of sunny days this summer for you to enjoy being on the water.

11 minutes ago, Islander said:

It sounds like your deer wants to get this sorted without delay.  That's great!  There are still lots of sunny days this summer for you to enjoy being on the water.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help you have given!

Just hope the parts don't take too long to ship, they've got to come from the US to the UK, and totally, still plenty of time! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the amp got replaced, and now it runs perfectly, noticed a few pops while wake surfing but they stopped and it ran flawlessly the whole day after that, thanks to all who kindly took the time to help and give suggestions, it was greatly appreciated. Hopefully, this is the fix! 😃

• Like 2