Cornwall 1V review by Andrew Robinson

henry4841

Nice video, I just can't agree with his comparison of the CW4 with the Forte 4

With a listening demo at the hi-fi shop I was able to compare these speakers next to each other and I found the difference between these two speakers quite big. 

• Like 2

One thing, I may have heard in the past, is you can special order the finish and or cloth for some extra money. Neat. I like the veneer and fabric he picked out. Not for me, I like cherry or walnut, but a light colored wood is really nice in some settings. One has to take any reviewer with a caution on a number of levels but he appears to be a Klipsch fan. 

I don't know. I personally find it striking how many you tubers "suddenly" give the Heritage speakers a review  and how remarkably many find these speakers the best they have heard. So good in fact, that most keep this speaker as a main speaker. Is this a coincidence? Are they genuine reviews?... Or is this a very smart move by Klipsch. I don't know, but I find some reviews contradictory, which makes me a bit skeptical about the sincerity of the reviewers. 

5 hours ago, Flevoman said:

I don't know. I personally find it striking how many you tubers "suddenly" give the Heritage speakers a review  and how remarkably many find these speakers the best they have heard. So good in fact, that most keep this speaker as a main speaker. Is this a coincidence? Are they genuine reviews?... Or is this a very smart move by Klipsch. I don't know, but I find some reviews contradictory, which makes me a bit skeptical about the sincerity of the reviewers. 

I think that reviewers have to tell credible and comprehensible stories if they want to be good in business. But...that doesn't really mean that they believe everything they say. Or they are very easily influenced. Of course, reviewers live from the fact that they also have to promote new products. I notice that, unlike in the past, there are more and more reviewers who only select products that they present positively. Not all of them, of course. But for example Steve Guttenberg. Ok, he can do that, it's his philosophy. But he gets into trouble when he makes comparisons. He normally does not make comparisons, so it struck me all the more when he recently compared a new floorstanding KEF loudspeaker with his Cornwall IV. KEF reference 3 meta vs. Cornwall IV on youtube. It starts at minute 9:40. Ok, the KEF speaker costs 15,000 USD a pair. But why is the Cornwall IV described in such a way that nobody wants it in the comparison? Steve has had the CW4 for more than two and a half years as his standard reference system that he listens to every day at home. He was always full of praise and had even done two reviews a year apart.

If Steve had been a bit fairer and not just mentioned disadvantages of the CW4 compared to KEF meta 3 it would have remained more credible....even for both speakers. Now his review leaves a strange aftertaste.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Nice video, I just can't agree with his comparison of the CW4 with the Forte 4

With a listening demo at the hi-fi shop I was able to compare these speakers next to each other and I found the difference between these two speakers quite big. 

The lack of even an A/B switch and a side by side makes that review total BS, like most reviewers on You Tube that provide words only with questionable speaker placement. 

It's merely 'subjective' and an opinion based review... I really don't see anything wrong with it.

'your mileage may vary' should always be a caveat with any 'influencer based review' and it's part of the scene when you solicit one (inlfuencer that is).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schu said:

It's merely 'subjective' and an opinion based review... I really don't see anything wrong with it.

'your mileage may vary' should always be a caveat with any 'influencer based review' and it's part of the scene when you solicit one (inlfuencer that is).

Agree on that. Nothing wrong with this video (although I don't fully agree on some points, but that's fine) 

And no one is saying there is a problem with his opinion of the CW4. 

My reaction was to a group of youtubers who are making reviews. 

A number of things I find striking and remarkable and raise some questions in my mind, which makes me a bit skeptical about the sincerity of the reviewers. 

Now I have looked at the review of Andrew Robinson and his partner. I must admit that I am very positively surprised at how differentiated the two (each personally) can describe their listening impressions, their sound experience and their emotions. In the end, Andrew makes, in my view, very fair points about for whom a CW4 or Forte is suitable (and for what intention) and for whom not so much, the reasoning is very true to life. 
It is a very well functioning setting that the partner adds her impressions from off. Ok, in some reviews it comes across as a sanctuary world middle class family from the suburbs like in a soap, but this time they worked very well as a team.
Both of them solved a task together that is often difficult in CW4 reviews. Many reviewers are blown away and in this moment they fail to describe what is really going on by the CW4, but Andrew describes exactly what the limits can be without badmouthing the CW4 (Steve Guttenberg suddenly devalued his CW4 a lot, which I find unfair to my trust in everything he always says).

So if this could be my review of the reviewer Andrew and his partner, they scored with me.

Another addition when I read between the lines: From my point of view, the fact that the lady was not so overwhelmed at the first moment speaks very much in favour of the CW4. She described, perhaps unconsciously, a great naturalness and serenity of the CW4's sound. From this point of view, it is very positive that nothing "exciting" was discernible. In fact, at no point did Andrew really say why he decided to buy the CW4. Leaving aside that the subject could simply be status, I think he was also impressed by the greater naturalness. Certainly a Forte has to "work" more, even if it sounds similar at first. And as a result, the CW4 is more relaxed on the ear.  It's high time I finally will hear the CW4 in person. 

Except for the stupid occasional distracting zoom in -- I'm okay with this kind of review. Good use of limited adjectives. Gives you a good sense of what he is hearing and experiencing without sounding like audiosnob word salad. 

On 7/5/2022 at 5:47 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Much better than listening to them a month apart, which seems to be the issue there. Side by side way better.

If you listen for a month you develop some auditory memory. The speakers are properly set up, in your environment, with music you are familiar with. You listen and get to process information at a rate your brain can actually handle. Some take notes. 

A/B side by side = "yeah, they sound different". Sure, you get a broad sense, but that's about it. Any careful listener will just be frustrated by the experience, and it's like trying using a ruler to measure the width of a piece of paper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Except for the stupid occasional distracting zoom in -- I'm okay with this kind of review. Good use of limited adjectives. Gives you a good sense of what he is hearing and experiencing without sounding like audiosnob word salad. 

If you listen for a month you develop some auditory memory. The speakers are properly set up, in your environment, with music you are familiar with. You listen and get to process information at a rate your brain can actually handle. Some take notes. 

A/B side by side = "yeah, they sound different". Sure, you get a broad sense, but that's about it. Any careful listener will just be frustrated by the experience, and it's like trying using a ruler to measure the width of a piece of paper.

There's more than one way to listen to a speaker. Double blind is best. Even if you are listening to just one pair, having the lights out and with eyes closed also qualifies as just another way. LOL........................Audio Snob Word Salad notwithstanding, of course!

If you liked Andrew Robinson’s review of the Cornwall, check out his review of the La Scala AL5.  He and his wife seemed to love them, but I think their size was the only reason he didn’t buy them.  Bringing new speakers in regularly and having to repeatedly move the Scalas could get old pretty quickly.

They’re using a much larger room now compared to what they had when they reviewed the Forte IV so I’m not sure why his lady partner would expect to be more overwhelmed. Also I think the color is ugly. Lambs wool grills are nice against dark wood, but seen against white maple is just too overwhelmingly light. Theres no contrast in their appearance. Also I think the Forte is a better speaker than many make it out to be compared to the Cornwall regardless. 

Does anyone know what the make and model of the Integrated amp is ?

Buttons, gauges, meters, sliders, knobs, switches and Steam Punk Gears

Looks like the ultimate device of some kind

the only thing missing is a flywheel or some other moving part

Found it on his YT page

HiFi Rose RA180

spacer.png

spacer.png