The Heritage Jubilee have arrived!

MMurg

12 minutes ago, MMurg said:

Sorry, but I did not ask whether I should do a multichannel system or not.  I'm a fan of well-recorded multichannel classical and jazz recordings. This system is going to be 5.0.  It may not be used that way the majority of the time, but I want it available.  I already have a single Belle Klipsch on the way that I intend to turn into a "JuBelle" center with an Axi2050/ZXPC 18x10 horn.  I already own KLF-30 that will be used as surrounds unless I can really use something fully horn-loaded like the used La Scala AL5 I'm considering.

I just want to know if La Scala will work acoustically as surrounds in the back corners at a distance of a 5.5 to 6 feet from the main listening position.  Thanks.

Apologies. Reading back my last reply, I realized I sounded very snippy.  I didn't mean to be.  I'm sorry.

• Like 1

I just want to know if La Scala will work acoustically as surrounds in the back corners at a distance of a 5.5 to 6 feet from the main listening position.  Thanks.

I don’t do multichannel but for stereo playback when the LaScala is in front of you, I’d say 6 ft is way too close for driver integration.

1 hour ago, MMurg said:

This system is going to be 5.0.  It may not be used that way the majority of the time, but I want it available.  I already have a single Belle Klipsch on the way that I intend to turn into a "JuBelle" center with an Axi2050/ZXPC 18x10 horn.

Cool. I like your plan to change the top end of your Belle. I have an extra 18x10 horn I could give you, if you haven't already got one.

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

Cool. I like your plan to change the top end of your Belle. I have an extra 18x10 horn I could give you, if you haven't already got one.

I wish I had known that last week.  🙂  Already bought the horn.  Well, at least they're not expensive.  Also, already have a Xilica XP-2040 in hand.  Just need the Belle to arrive and the Axi2050 to come back in stock at Part Express.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MMurg said:

I wish I had known that last week.  🙂  Already bought the horn.  Well, at least they're not expensive.  Also, already have a Xilica XP-2040 in hand.  Just need the Belle to arrive and the Axi2050 to come back in stock at Part Express.

If you haven’t  already, look at what ChrisA Did with his surround jubilee system. I followed along in that direction With mine By having another  K402 in the center although I didn’t go the MEH route- yet.  Chris really emphasize the importance for him Of having timbres matching along the front wall.

For surrounds, I have what  Chris initially tried, Cornwall 1.5 Rewired so only the woofer is used with the large Heil on the top.  These are about 6 feet from my listening position And dialed in with a miniDSP HD.

If I could fit Fully horn loaded all around I would experiment with that. I’m still wondering about the possibility of more K402’s for surrounds perhaps loaded vertically into a Cornwall size box.

13 hours ago, MMurg said:

I just want to know if La Scala will work acoustically as surrounds in the back corners at a distance of a 5.5 to 6 feet from the main listening position.  Thanks.

Having not seen the following page of comments, here's my thoughts on what I'd try.

1.  You don't have much to lose by giving it a whirl

2.  I'd suspect you might be pretty close, physically

3.  I'd also wonder if the sonic signature of the K400/K77 would be seamless enough for you?  (if so, fine, if not....  onto the next!)

4.  You could do one of two things

a)  Take them active, go 3-way and align the signals

b)  Slap a 402 on top of them, go active and again, align the signal

the active 402 would perhaps mate the best but not inexpensive.  Going active with 3-way with extra amps, active crossover, also not inexpensive.  Under that logic, I'd think the active 402 atop the bass bin would be the more simple solution.

GADS, it's fun spending someone else's money!!  Now I see why my wife enjoys shopping.....(she gets to spend my money)  lol.  

(by the way, that is actually a misrepresentation on the wife, it was just a joke, lest she somehow read this and take me to task.)

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Delicious2 said:

If you haven’t  already, look at what ChrisA Did with his surround jubilee system. I followed along in that direction With mine By having another  K402 in the center although I didn’t go the MEH route- yet.  Chris really emphasize the importance for him Of having timbres matching along the front wall.

For surrounds, I have what  Chris initially tried, Cornwall 1.5 Rewired so only the woofer is used with the large Heil on the top.  These are about 6 feet from my listening position And dialed in with a miniDSP HD.

If I could fit Fully horn loaded all around I would experiment with that. I’m still wondering about the possibility of more K402’s for surrounds perhaps loaded vertically into a Cornwall size box.

I thought about a K-402 in the center.  However, my room isn't that wide.  I also want to try to keep the center fairly low profile as I may put a TV in there one day on one of those above fireplace pull-down hangers.  This center is going in front of the fireplace that I never use (and really wish wasn't there).

22 hours ago, MMurg said:

I already own KLF-30 that will be used as surrounds unless I can really use something fully horn-loaded like the used La Scala AL5 I'm considering.

Michael I have listened to my La Scala AL5 in a relative near field setup (approximately 7ft to 8ft and didn’t feel like I was to close in that setup.

You might also remember during this Chief Bonehead class we were close to all the loudspeakers in the comparison and the La Scala AL5 was as acoustically coherent as the other models at the same distances in my opinion anyway.

miketn🙂

0BB2E4F4-9C5C-445F-8C05-19600CB0EDB8.jpeg.1f7562632520933b404483553bf51d41.jpeg

743816AC-D86F-4FDB-B8D4-A4FAB7614843.jpeg.6419bed3b07c26d5f8f47d7ced7d88e2.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

The 325's would make great rear surrounds 

I actually got a quote on those from the boys in Paducah.  However, I decided that unless I go fully horn-loaded for the surrounds, that I'd just stick the KLF-30 that I already own.

• Like 1

Michael I’m curious about your room/setup and I believe you said the room was about 13ft x 17ft and in a picture you posted of the rear of the room I believe it looks like that was a 13ft wall.  So for clarity are you going to place the Jubilees on the 13ft wall or can you also use the 17ft wall if necessary…?

DF7811D6-EA51-4A65-A68F-16C5AC938197.thumb.jpeg.f659e378e5744f38ae095f718f5cd286.jpeg

7 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Michael I have listened to my La Scala AL5 in a relative near field setup (approximately 7ft to 8ft and didn’t feel like I was to close in that setup.

You might also remember during this Chief Bonehead class we were close to all the loudspeakers in the comparison and the La Scala AL5 was as acoustically coherent as the other models at the same distances in my opinion anyway.

miketn🙂

Yeah, I forgot about that.  I also spoke to a few other people, including my buddy from college who has La Scala II mains.  They thought it should work just fine.  I let the buyer know a little while ago that I want them.  Not looking forward to the 8+ hour round trip to go get them.

1 hour ago, MMurg said:

I thought about a K-402 in the center.  However, my room isn't that wide.  I also want to try to keep the center fairly low profile as I may put a TV in there one day on one of those above fireplace pull-down hangers.  This center is going in front of the fireplace that I never use (and really wish wasn't there).

I would be very tempted to try just going phantom center if possible.

miketn

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Michael I’m curious about your room/setup and I believe you said the room was about 13ft x 17ft and in a picture you posted of the rear of the room I believe it looks like that was a 13ft wall.  So for clarity are you going to place the Jubilees on the 13ft wall or can you also use the 17ft wall if necessary…?

I'm using the 13 ft wall.  If I use the 17 ft outside wall (on the right in the picture) I'll be blocking the window and part of that entrance way (which is the main entry into the room).  If I use the opposite 17 ft wall, then I'd have to back the seating up against the windows.  Not keen on doing either.  Today I was experimenting with the furniture in the room, placing the couch in the middle facing where the Jubilee will be.

PXL_20220709_162830554 (Large).jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I would be very tempted to try just going phantom center if possible.

miketn

The center is not going to be on all the time.  For most stereo content, I'll be listening in stereo.  However, for some dry recordings without ambient information, I like using upmixing like DTS:Neo Music or Dolby Surround Music.  Those mostly use the center as another ambience channel and leave the stereo mix pretty much intact.  Also, many of the multichannel classical and jazz SACDs that I have are 4.0 and won't engage the center.  So, I will experiment with a physical center for a while.  If I don't like it, then I'll pull it out and sell the Belle.

11 minutes ago, MMurg said:

I'm using the 13 ft wall.  If I use the 17 ft outside wall (on the right in the picture) I'll be blocking the window and part of that entrance way (which is the main entry into the room).  If I use the opposite 17 ft wall, then I'd have to back the seating up against the windows.  Not keen on doing either.  Today I was experimenting with the furniture in the room, placing the couch in the middle facing where the Jubilee will be.

PXL_20220709_162830554 (Large).jpg

Dang windows and doors…. Always screwing with our setups.. 😀

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MMurg said:

The center is not going to be on all the time.  For most stereo content, I'll be listening in stereo.  However, for some dry recordings without ambient information, I like using upmixing like DTS:Neo Music or Dolby Surround Music.  Those mostly use the center as another ambience channel and leave the stereo mix pretty much intact.  Also, many of the multichannel classical and jazz SACDs that I have are 4.0 and won't engage the center.  So, I will experiment with a physical center for a while.  If I don't like it, then I'll pull it out and sell the Belle.

Gotcha 👍🙂

2 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Dang windows and doors…. Always screwing with our setups.. 😀

Ain't that the truth.  If I ever move out of here to downsize, maybe I'll have a home built with a custom audio room with no doors and windows.  There's just a seat that gets lowered through a hatch in the ceiling.  😂

• Haha 3