The Heritage Jubilee have arrived!

MMurg

19 minutes ago, MMurg said:

The center is not going to be on all the time.  For most stereo content, I'll be listening in stereo.  However, for some dry recordings without ambient information, I like using upmixing like DTS:Neo Music or Dolby Surround Music.  Those mostly use the center as another ambience channel and leave the stereo mix pretty much intact.  Also, many of the multichannel classical and jazz SACDs that I have are 4.0 and won't engage the center.  So, I will experiment with a physical center for a while.  If I don't like it, then I'll pull it out and sell the Belle.

Sounds like a plan.

OK, I'm a moron.  @Schu warned me about having the rubber feet of the processor on the veneer of the DSP.  Right after that, I ordered the stuff I needed to put in another glass shelf in the rack to avoid this.  I also meant to put some felt or something under the feet until that stuff came.  However, my son called me and told me he was stranded a few towns over with a dead battery.  So, I left to handle that and forgot about the step.  Well, the stuff for the shelf arrived today and I got that in place.  Unfortunately, in just three days the feet made these faint partial rings on the veneer.  I won't see them when the unit is in place, but knowing they are there is annoying.  I tried a damp cloth, Murphy's Oil Soap, and Tibet Almond Stick.  No luck with those.  Any other suggestions? 

PXL_20220709_233944401 (Large).jpg

PXL_20220709_234104927.MP (Large).jpg

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:03 PM, MMurg said:

As I think I mentioned earlier, I was looking at a pair of La Scala or Belle Klipsch for surrounds in the rear corners in front of the bass traps.  I think I may have found a pair of La Scala I like within a reasonable drive.  However, due to my small room size I'll only be about 5.5 feet from the front of the La Scala.  Is that unreasonably close for those speakers?  Thanks.

Not at all.  As I mentioned, my La Scalas (the jokers that got me into this whole trip) are sitting behind and to the sides of my sofa, with the JubScala IIs in front.  Since there's a baseboard heater and a bookcase on one side and a wood burning stove on its tiled dais on the other side, both Scalas are about 4 feet from my head.

To avoid having them fire into the sofa, I put them on 13" stands.  For simplicity and economy, the stands are those folding step stools, 4 per speaker, each one rated for 250 pounds.  As it happens, they have sort of pointed feet that point right through the carpet to the concrete floor, so the speakers sit there rigidly.  If you try to push them, they're solid.  When I push the front speakers, they give just a little as they sit on the carpet, in spite of weighing over 200 pounds with the Jubilee tweeters on top of them.  If I get the official feet for them, that might firm them up.

So how is the sound from the Surround Scalas?  The tweeters are above my head and the squawkers are about in line with me.  They sound fine, but as has been pointed out, the rear channels don't carry that much info.  They're most noticeable when the AVR is set to All Channel Mode (9 channel, actually, but I only have 6 speakers).  That mode plays all speakers, but it's 2-channel stereo, with the single Rear Surround Heresy III getting a summed/mono signal.  That gives an airy feel to the sound, which seems to come from all around, instead of just from the big speakers on the other side of the room.  That setting is also great for sporting events, especially outdoor ones, since it gives a feeling of being within the venue, not just watching it on TV.

I'm happy with the Surround Scalas, and their Birch Black colour makes them less noticeable, in spite of their size.  Late night listening at low volume in All Channel is pretty cool, because at that close range, at low volume they dominate over the Main speakers.

5 minutes ago, Islander said:

Not at all.  As I mentioned, my La Scalas (the jokers that got me into this whole trip) are sitting behind and to the sides of my sofa, with the JubScala IIs in front.  Since there's a baseboard heater and a bookcase on one side and a wood burning stove on its tiled dais on the other side, both Scalas are about 4 feet from my head.

To avoid having them fire into the sofa, I put them on 13" stands.  For simplicity and economy, the stands are those folding step stools, 4 per speaker, each one rated for 250 pounds.  As it happens, they have sort of pointed feet that point right through the carpet to the concrete floor, so the speakers sit there rigidly.  If you try to push them, they're solid.  When I push the front speakers, they give just a little as they sit on the carpet, in spite of weighing over 200 pounds with the Jubilee tweeters on top of them.  If I get the official feet for them, that might firm them up.

So how is the sound from the Surround Scalas?  The tweeters are above my head and the squawkers are about in line with me.  They sound fine, but as has been pointed out, the rear channels don't carry that much info.  They're most noticeable when the AVR is set to All Channel Mode (9 channel, actually, but I only have 6 speakers).  That mode plays all speakers, but it's 2-channel stereo, with the single Rear Surround Heresy III getting a summed/mono signal.  That gives an airy feel to the sound, which seems to come from all around, instead of just from the big speakers on the other side of the room.  That setting is also great for sporting events, especially outdoor ones, since it gives a feeling of being within the venue, not just watching it on TV.

I'm happy with the Surround Scalas, and their Birch Black colour makes them less noticeable, in spite of their size.  Late night listening at low volume in All Channel is pretty cool, because at that close range, at low volume they dominate over the Main speakers.

Thanks.  I was thinking that I might also want to raise the La Scala surrounds a bit as well.  Do you have a link for the folding step stools you are using for this?

1 hour ago, MMurg said:

OK, I'm a moron.  @Schu warned me about having the rubber feet of the processor on the veneer of the DSP.  Right after that, I ordered the stuff I needed to put in another glass shelf in the rack to avoid this.  I also meant to put some felt or something under the feet until that stuff came.  However, my son called me and told me he was stranded a few towns over with a dead battery.  So, I left to handle that and forgot about the step.  Well, the stuff for the shelf arrived today and I got that in place.  Unfortunately, in just three days the feet made these faint partial rings on the veneer.  I won't see them when the unit is in place, but knowing they are there is annoying.  I tried a damp cloth, Murphy's Oil Soap, and Tibet Almond Stick.  No luck with those.  Any other suggestions? 

I'd say rub, rub, and rub some more, using a very slightly dampened cloth, alternating with a dry cloth, or a dry part of the same cloth.  Years ago, my dad left a wet pop/soda can on the top of one of my black Scalas when they were the Main speakers, which left a nasty ring.

I said very little about it, but got to work as described, and in about 30-40 minutes the ring was gone.

You could also consult Klipsch Customer Service.  That's where I learned that lacquer never fully hardens, so that any weight put on it results in little dents.  I called for info because as soon as I got the La Scalas IIs in position, that very day, I did a little happy dance beside one, with my hand resting on it.  When I turned around, I realized that my stainless steel watch bracelet had grooved several fine circular scratches into the perfectly mint top.  I wear a rubber strap on the watch now, but fixing the scratches is pretty tricky, as I was told.  I'll get to it one day.  Meanwhile, those big 402 tweeters and their big bases hide the damage.  Live and learn.

7 minutes ago, MMurg said:

Thanks.  I was thinking that I might also want to raise the La Scala surrounds a bit as well.  Do you have a link for the folding step stools you are using for this?

I don't have a link, since I forget where I got them.  It might have been at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto.  They were only about $15 each (x8).  Most are black with white dots on the tops, but I found only  7, so I had to take one white one with black dots.  However, they're all behind the sofa, out of sight, mostly.

They are folding plastic step stools, available in many hardware, automotive, and home building supply stores.  The smaller 8" ones are more common, but the 13" tall ones are the best bet.

1 minute ago, Islander said:

I don't have a link, since I forget where I got them.  It might have been at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto.  They were only about $15 each (x8).  Most are black with white dots on the tops, but I found only  7, so I had to take one white one with black dots.  However, they're all behind the sofa, out of sight, mostly.

They are folding plastic step stools, available in many hardware, automotive, and home building supply stores.  The smaller 8" ones are more common, but the 13" tall ones are the best bet.

Ah, OK.  I've seen those folding plastic stools before.  Since my La Scala will be more visible, I don't think I'd go for that look.  Thanks though.

11 minutes ago, Islander said:

I'd say rub, rub, and rub some more, using a very slightly dampened cloth, alternating with a dry cloth, or a dry part of the same cloth.  Years ago, my dad left a wet pop/soda can on the top of one of my black Scalas when they were the Main speakers, which left a nasty ring..

I said very little about it, but got to work as described, and in about 30-40 minutes the ring was gone.

You could also consult Klipsch Customer Service.  That's where I learned that lacquer never fully hardens, so that any weight put on it results in little dents.  I called for info because as soon as I got the La Scalas IIs in position, the the very day, I did a little happy dance beside one, with my hand resting on it.  When I turned around, I realized that my stainless steel watch bracelet had grooved several fine circular scratches into the perfectly mint top.  I wear a rubber strap on the watch now, but fixing the scratches is pretty tricky, as I was told.  I'll get to it on day.  Meanwhile, those big 402 tweeters and their big bases hide the damage.  Live and learn.

Thanks.  I'll give the damp cloth + elbow grease + time approach a try tomorrow and see if that works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMurg said:

I have had great sucess with Howards Restor A Finish, choose the one that matches the wood.  https://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish/

I have also recently enjoyed SACD's.  My favorite so far is Elton John's self titled album, which was his second album.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Southern said:

I have had great sucess with Howards Restor A Finish, choose the one that matches the wood.  https://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish/

I have also recently enjoyed SACD's.  My favorite so far is Elton John's self titled album, which was his second album.

I'm not sure I want to try something like that on a brand-new finish yet.  However, I was thinking of trying it on the single used Belle that's on it way.  In several places, the walnut lacquer finish on that has seen better days.

2 hours ago, MMurg said:

I'm not sure I want to try something like that on a brand-new finish yet.  However, I was thinking of trying it on the single used Belle that's on it way.  In several places, the walnut lacquer finish on that has seen better days.

Good idea to practice on a non-precious surface.  The rep at Klipsch told me about substances that soften lacquer so that scratches can be blended or rubbed away, but he stressed to not try it on the good surface without enough practice to proceed with confidence.  The marks on your DSP cabinet must be annoying, but are they readily visible to anyone who hasn't been told they're there?

10 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Michael I have listened to my La Scala AL5 in a relative near field setup (approximately 7ft to 8ft and didn’t feel like I was to close in that setup.

You might also remember during this Chief Bonehead class we were close to all the loudspeakers in the comparison and the La Scala AL5 was as acoustically coherent as the other models at the same distances in my opinion anyway.

miketn🙂

0BB2E4F4-9C5C-445F-8C05-19600CB0EDB8.jpeg.1f7562632520933b404483553bf51d41.jpeg

743816AC-D86F-4FDB-B8D4-A4FAB7614843.jpeg.6419bed3b07c26d5f8f47d7ced7d88e2.jpeg

I can't help wondering who in this group had the guts to rip the acoustic paneling from the wall. The guy in the back with the cap and the sunglasses perhaps? 

(just goofing and trying to be funny on a Sunday noon...)

:-))) 

10 hours ago, MMurg said:

I actually got a quote on those from the boys in Paducah.  However, I decided that unless I go fully horn-loaded for the surrounds, that I'd just stick the KLF-30 that I already own.

The 30's look like a perfect fit and height for rear surrounds in that room, probably be just fine with what you got going on. I own a set of 30's and they are great speakers I'd rank them right in between the forte II and Chorus II in terms of performance. That being said they really are a different animal than the 325's with the k-691 2" exit driver and all their big, open midrange goodiness. 

9 hours ago, Islander said:

Everything. I was shocked seeing the new price for a pair of LaScala's a couple of days ago. I does not seem that long ago that a pair was around 8 grand. Now over 13 grand. I am sure that price will keep a lot of potential buyers from ever enjoying the sound of these wonderful speakers. But the price of a fast food hamburger has gone up a lot too. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Everything. I was shocked seeing the new price for a pair of LaScala's a couple of days ago. I does not seem that long ago that a pair was around 8 grand. Now over 13 grand. I am sure that price will keep a lot of potential buyers from ever enjoying the sound of these wonderful speakers. But the price of a fast food hamburger has gone up a lot too. 

Prompted me to share, hope you don't mind.

I paid $1118.25 including California state sales tax for my first pair of La Scalas. Purchased from a lovely lady named Rita from a little shop on Shattuck in Berkeley. Of course it was 1975 and I was 18 at the time, HaHa! I had saved $518.25 from my job in the Stereo dept. of a local TV & Stereo store in Merced, Ca..I took out a personal loan for the remaining $600.00 from the local branch of Bank of America just down the street.

Great days indeed!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Here in Canada, a pair of new La Scala AL5s cost around $18,000 Cdn and AK6 Klipschorns are $25,000 Cdn a pair.  Then there are federal and provincial taxes, unless you live in Alberta, which has no provincial sales tax.  I wonder how many speakers can be sold at those prices?  It sure makes me cherish my mint La Scala IIs, which I bought from a fellow Forum member.

• Like 1

I said a few pages back when I bought my LaScala's in '86 the K-horns were twice as much but you have to consider that the K-horns were veneered whereas LaScala's were just stained birch plywood. These days LaScala's have lovely looking veneer just like the K-horns. Better suited in a home environment with a better WAF but leaves those who care more about sound than looks priced out. Both the K-horns and LaScala's are labor intensive and requires skilled workers and everyone knows that raises the cost considerably. 

Guys, We all love reminiscing about prices from the old days and I am no different. 

However, this thread is about the arrival of the new version of the Klipsch Jubilees (possibly the first pair actually shipped to a customer). The OP has had the patience of a saint waiting for these and all of us want to vicariously share in his excitement and joy.

This is my long-winded way of suggesting that we get this thread back on track and learn more about the reveal and first impressions.

-Tom

• Like 2