EQing the KI-396 for flatter treble response

IndyHT80

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the KI-396 and have heard various opinions that they are a bit dull at lower volumes. I currently have the THX LCR 650s and love their mid and top tonal balance but wish they had a fuller mid and upper bass region with greater sensitivity.

My question is, can the top end of the KI-396, say above 1 or 2 KHz, respond well to PEQ adjustments to counteract the gradual downward almost 5db drop in the FR to 18khz? @Chief bonehead

Unfortunately my slight dated Rotel pre/pro only has PEQ and no DIRAC room

correction. I also would be just 8 ft from the speakers in my listening position which makes me wonder if the sound can integrate from those large drivers at a short distance. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dull... do you mean 'rolled off'?

That's probably more a function of the six nine one.

You can bump that up in the high frequencies, but it's been my experience that that will only take you so far before you need to look for help.

the KL-396 is exactly what you're lacking   , which is  more bass and fuller HF  .......... but it's quite a larger speaker  for a  listening distance of only 8 feet  ,  best to buy the  KPT-8000M  or  ideally  the  3 way  KPT-250    .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the 396s with 18" subs for a band I work with, they are a huge improvement over the previous speakers and many comment on the improvement. I have not had an issue with frequency response and with a mixing board , if I want more cymbal I just turn them up. I hope in the future we can get music we can mix our selves - 32 channels would be good.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Chief bonehead, do you know if there are any published active PEQ settings for the KI-396 SMA II I can use for linearity like what are published for some of the cinema line speakers? They sound pretty good but just trying to knock back some of the lower and upper midrange sharpness since my listening position is relatively close. Thanks!

Edited by IndyHT80
  • Like 1