Does the 8000f or 600m have the unique "klipsch sound" ?

audiowarrior

This is perphaps an odd question... But, I always read all over the web about the "klipsch sound."

I recently invested in the 8000f and 600m generation 2.

Based on a video review of the 8000f generation 1, reviewers are saying it's a very "neutral" tower speaker.

1. If you've heard the 8000f or 600m in-person, does it still have the "klipsch sound" ?

2. Just clarifying, does the "Klipsch sound" just mean the sound is forward facing and really clear, as opposed to laid back, flat, and bass heavy?

Thank you

• Like 3

Just 2 because have not heard either however, think you pretty much finessed it with your description of Horn speakers of which you have 1 in each of the speakers mentioned.

Each speaker has a signature sound. Have owned several different Klipsch models, each different, all have a common ancestry.

Others will be more concise.

• Like 1

Neutral is good, and will give you the most accurate sound.  That's the goal, right, like you want your TV to have the clearest possible picture, without any added tint, you want your speakers to do the same thing with the sound "picture".

Klipsch speakers in general have very low distortion, which means you're hearing what's on the recording, with nothing added or subtracted.  Distortion comes in two basic varieties.  Unpleasant (the most common) and pleasant (euphonious, or good-sounding).  Pleasant distortion makes everything sound sweet, even crap-quality recordings.  That can be seductive, but it's not accurate.  More bass than the musician wanted?  That's not accurate.  With accurate speakers, good recordings sound good, great recordings sound great, and crap recordings sound crap.  That's real life, and reality is the goal.

As for "the Klipsch sound", it varies.  The Heritage Series speakers, the ones designed by Paul Klipsch himself, have a really good sound, which they should, considering their prices.  With some models, especially older ones, tweaks can be done to upgrade the sound.  You'll hear a lot about that here on the Forum.

The other lines, like the Reference speakers, are still Klipsch, but their sound is different, because they're built differently. They will have their family sound, and so will the other lines of Klipsch speakers.  The main thing that Paul Klipsch (often referred to as PWK here) wanted was freedom from distortion.  No inaccurate sound.  That could be called the Klipsch sound.

However, everyone's ears and brains are different, so what appeals to one person may not appeal to another.  Also, how a speaker sounds in a big showroom may not be how it sounds in your living room.  The speaker that stands out for its bright clear sound in the showroom may sound noisy and annoying at home.  Accordingly, you should be able to return any speaker that doesn't sound good to you, after at least a week to get used to it and get your system dialled in to it.

• Like 2

I've got a pair of the RP-600M IIs hooked up for about six weeks now. No experience with HT, 2.1 has been it so far. Variables come into play, as always.

Until I tweaked what I was putting into them there wasn't much resemblance to the Heritage sound. With their size did not expect it.

So, I got different tubes, made other changes. Now I have more realistic vocals, instruments and the imaging!

To me they remind me of the Klipsch Heritage Sound that I know and love!

Or did they "break in"? 

;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

To me they remind me of the Klipsch Heritage Sound that I know and love!

Or did they "break in"?  

Uh no, they did not break-in THAT much.  (RP-600M II).  :cool:  My first gen 600M's sounded a little better after a month but they were 99% good to go right out of the box.

Agree with you that they don't sound like Heritage when played as L/R with an AVR.  They sound excellent standalone.  I don't use tubes so I bow to your experience on that.

Using the 600M as L/R w/Sub the characteristic sound is a LOT like my RF-83's, $2500 speakers when new.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Uh no, they did not break-in THAT much.  (RP-600M II).  :cool: 

That's why I put the smirk under that Sir! :P

Some swear by it, some argue vehemently against it. Do think the 6AK5 variant of tubes I have might mellow a bit in a month or so though!

I won't touch the cable things I was practically attacked over again. Unless you read my opinion at my page.:smile:

Of course I jest.

• Like 3