Intersting issue...

Schu

here is an interesting issue I am experiencing right now.

two nights ago, my system was running perfectly... the next day I only have sound coming from the right side, with VERY VERY muted sound coming from the left... very muted but audible if you stand next to that driver.

here is the interesting part... if I swap the out put from my preamp to the xilica, the sound still only comes from the right speaker, even if the right side is unplugged at the pre.

the same issue persists if I swap the input or the output from the DAC. I think this means the preamp has an issue... I think.

I dont have another pre right now to test it. I can't really see it being the xilica OR any of the amplifiers and i cant seem to find any 'summing' control which would be summing the signals to the right side.

I disconnected and reconnected all interconnects and swapping channels post preamp can't really be helpful.

any ideas?

Ive reached out to Craig  @NOS Valves, but have not heard back as yet... I might call him later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

here is the interesting part... if I swap the out put from my preamp to the xilica, the sound still only comes from the right speaker, even if the right side is unplugged at the pre.

the same issue persists if I swap the input or the output from the DAC. I think this means the preamp has an issue... I think.

I'm having difficulty understanding exactly what you mean in the statements above, but overall what I think you are hearing from the left channel is crosstalk from the right channel. That means that the left channel input on your amp is no longer connected to the left channel output in your amp. That might mean that some component in the left channel low-level signal path has failed.

• Like 1

that is what I am thinking... probably in the preamp itself.

HOWEVER, why would the right channel continue to play when I plug the right output into the left channel output? that to me means that maybe something is 'summing' both channels into the right channel.

37 minutes ago, Schu said:

HOWEVER, why would the right channel continue to play when I plug the right output into the left channel output? that to me means that maybe something is 'summing' both channels into the right channel.

Plugging the right output into the left output? I'm sorry, but I'm still not following what is happening here.

so then... let's see If I can be any clearer.

sound comes only from right channel.

if I unplug the right output of the preamp and swap it with the left output (in an attempt to isolate the issue to the amplifier or the xilica) I still only get sound from the right channel... EVEN IF the right channel output is disconnected at the preamp... this is why I am thinking there maybe be some 'summing' of both channels happening somewhere in the signal chain. I can not be 100% sure that the sound coming from the right channel is 'summed', but it surely sounds like it.

Try this (never make or break connections while the amp is powered):

1. Keep the right channel connection from the preamp to the amp, but disconnect the cable from the left channel output of the preamp to the left channel input of the amp completely. You should hear loud sound from the right speaker, and possibly very low-level crosstalk from the left speaker.
  2. Reconnect the left channel output from the preamp to the left channel input of the amp. Disconnect the right channel output of the preamp to the right channel input of the amp. You should hear loud sound from the left speaker, and possibly very low-level crosstalk from the right speaker.

If both of these work as I stated, then the problem is not in your amp.

To eliminate the preamp as a possibility, do as @CWOReilly says, above.

• Like 1

Just now, Schu said:

not advisable to run the system without a volume control...

No, but for an experiment like this you could even use the headphone output from your phone as a source.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Edgar said:

No, but for an experiment like this you could even use the headphone output from your phone as a source.

got ya... thanks

I just remembered the DAC has volume control also.

the more I think about it, I dont think it is the pre amp... and i dont think it is any of the amplification because none of the left side is working and my LF and HF are being driven by two different amps. so that really leaves the xilica.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Schu said:

... and i dont think it is any of the amplification because none of the left side is working and my LF and HF are being driven by two different amps. so that really leaves the xilica.

Well, the Xilica is programmable ... is there an inadvertent channel sum or reversal somewhere in the configuration?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Well, the Xilica is programmable ... is there an inadvertent channel sum or reversal somewhere in the configuration?

Possibly... I am gonna check that out.

it could also be some weird interconnect issue from the pre to the Xilica.

• Like 1