Looking for recommendation

ahardbody

Hello all,

I have a pretty basic HT setup. I just upgraded my old Onkyo HT in a box that I bought 15 years ago with a new Denon AVR-960H receiver. I'm currently using a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers for my left and right and I have the center ch speaker that came with the HT in a box set. Using the front speakers from that same Onkyo set as my left and right surrounds.

System was formally a 7.1 but I eliminated the 2 rear back speakers as I plan to add 2 height speakers in the future.

Not currently using the sub that came with the Onkyo system but I do still have it.

I have read on here that the center channel speaker is the most important and I was thinking of upgrading possibly to one of the Klipsch speakers.

My budget is " as little as possible" in actuality I could probably do about $200 for the center speaker. I don't have any problem using a refurbished or even a good used speaker.

Was just looking at the R-52C, I've seen it as low as $139, I'm sure there are better and it's probably 100% better than what I currently have. I'm not one to have to have the "best" and am not looking to spend $500 or more for one speaker.

In the future I may upgrade the rest of the speakers to newer Klipsch speakers, but for now I'm looking at the center channel.

Currently have a 65" insignia 4K tv and the center speaker is behind it, probably not the optimum place for it but no room in front of the TV and the cabinet the TV is on has 4 compartments and if I was to put the speaker in one of them it would not be centered with the TV (if that really matters).

Thanks for any recommendations.

• Like 1

Even Klipsch doesn't make a center channel speaker that's designed to match the Heresy; their center channel speakers are matched to their respective product lines.

The suggestion to source an third Heresy is an excellent idea, although many people don't have the physical space to place it and in my eyes it appears most center channel speakers are designed to be visually unobtrusive as they sit directly under the TV.

And the irony is, the center channel is used mostly for dialog so you would think an ideal center channel speaker for a Heresy setup would be composed of just a Heresy midrange driver in a cabinet, and that wouldn't take up much space at all.

Let us know what you choose to do and how it works out for you.

Thanks for the replies, I definitely don’t have the room for a Heresy center speaker.

although the Klipsch center ch speakers are designed for their specific product lines, I may replace the Heresy’s in the future.  I think any center speaker would probably be better than what I’m currently using.

does the center ch speaker have to be directly in the center?

Edited by ahardbody

This is the cabinet I’m using that my tv sits on, audio components are in a smaller cabinet to the left. This is not my picture just one for the cabinet. May be able to fit a Heresy if one of the shelf’s was removed. Would the Heresy sound right on its side?

would the center ch speaker I asked about work ok on the top right shelf? Currently only have a Monoprice speaker/receiver switch in that space but not using it as it seems to lower the volume ( I had 2 receivers going to one pair of speakers using that switch, other receiver is an older Sansui G-5500)

D87CE5ED-D44D-4377-8330-9F8903429C54.jpeg

• Like 1

No not directly centered as you are just using for HT.

Just look online craigslist, other Klipsch used, or just get what your budget allows new.

Find something, look at the measurements to see.

As lately say, even the small RCX-4, usually on ebay will work.

The Academy Klipsch would work also but, likely too large for your setup.

Find one and run it by us.

Thanks!

Just looking at the specs for your AVR, which is loaded with function, features, ran into this:

Center Spread: Center Spread expands the center channel signal to left and right front speakers to create a wider frontal audio image for the listener. It is optimized and designed for playback of stereo music content when using the Dolby Surround mode.

Also called a Phantom center, thanks.

• Like 1

Yes, just measured, I could do one on it's side but I found a post on here where someone asked about putting one on it's side and I guess that's not recommended due to the horn. I can't afford what it would cost to find a used Heresy anyway. Think I will stick with the R-52C and down the road upgrade my other speakers to the same product line.

I know the heresy's come with the angled riser now and I have seen where people sell them for the older ones. Would it effect the speaker if I place them on a small stand to get them more closer to ear height? Really don't want to have them angled as my wife puts knickknacks on top of them.

• Like 1

I read it, I'm going to order the R-52C in a few.

I know Klipsch has different line of speakers, and the R-52C is in their Reference line so does that mean any other Reference speaker is designed to work with any other Reference speaker?

Also what lines of speakers are say entry level up to the top?

Thank You for the replies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ahardbody said:

I read it, I'm going to order the R-52C in a few.

I know Klipsch has different line of speakers, and the R-52C is in their Reference line so does that mean any other Reference speaker is designed to work with any other Reference speaker?

Also what lines of speakers are say entry level up to the top?

Thank You for the replies.

Yes would try that center spread function. May be decent enough without a center speaker, if you follow me.

Would say basically yes to the Reference question but, could easily get into the weeds for that conversation.

I moved the center speaker to the top right shelf in the cabinet, it did make a good difference. Thanks for pointing that out.

also reconnected the speaker/receiver switch I have with no noticeable loss in volume.

and I put the Heresy’s on the stands I made in the past.

• Like 1

I used a Heresy III on its side between a pair of La Scalas for years, until I replaced it with a Belle Klipsch.

In your system, the phantom centre channel should give decent sound, plus you can use some sound from the TV speakers.  Just a bit, assuming there’s no lack of synch/time delay between them and your Heresys.  Many receivers have a feature that allows you to correct for any delay/echo effect.

• Like 1