The Jubilee are in the house!

MMurg

I tried to buy replacement k-31's from Klipsch probably 10 years ago for a pair of KLF-30's and was told they were not available hard to believe they'd be using that same woofer in anything any time recently. 

14 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

@MMurg, Your new speakers are just the right size! ☺️

Now that I have them in the room, I see why everyone was discouraging me from making a JuBelle center for this setup.  It's going to look pretty silly shoehorned in there.  🙂  However, since I've purchased everything needed for it, I'll make it anyway.  If I ever downsize to a house with less bedrooms (since I'll be an empty nester soon) and only have one room for movies and music, then I'll want a center for movie dialog.

17 minutes ago, MMurg said:

However, since I've purchased everything needed for it, I'll make it anyway.

An idea that just crossed my mind. Maybe you could saw out a walnut motorboard for the 18x10 horn mounting, with similar proportions as the panels around your K-402, and raise the very top panel of the Belle for the new motorboard to fit. Get grill cloth for the Belle bass cabinet to match the Jubilee and then the tiny Belle could look like it belongs there in the center position.

5 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

An idea that just crossed my mind. Maybe you could saw out a walnut motorboard for the 18x10 horn mounting, with similar proportions as the panels around your K-402, and raise the very top panel of the Belle for the new motorboard to fit. Get grill cloth for the Belle bass cabinet to match the Jubilee and then the tiny Belle could look like it belongs there in the center position.

I thought about having a similar looking baffle for the ZXPC horn made.  (Not going to do that myself.  I have zero woodworking skills.)  I wonder if there would be acoustic issues rear mounting that horn the way the K-402 is on the Jubilee or if it should be flush mounted on the front.  I wonder if Klipsch would sell that salt and pepper grill cloth or if I can find it elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, MMurg said:

I thought about having a similar looking baffle for the ZXPC horn made.  (Not going to do that myself.  I have zero woodworking skills.)  I wonder if there would be acoustic issues rear mounting that horn the way the K-402 is on the Jubilee or if it should be flush mounted on the front.  I wonder if Klipsch would sell that salt and pepper grill cloth or if I can find it elsewhere.

I would think Klipsch would come off some grille cloth. You did just buy brand new Jubilee’s from them. 😀

• Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Good luck getting an answer on that.....probably a current employee, or a former employee, or a relative of an employee with access to the Klipsch parts database.  There's something fishy here.

You mean like bass fishy?  🤓

• Haha 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Schu said:

or more importantly, is there an aftermarket unit that is better.

K-31

I think @jwc posted in that thread that he looked at alternatives for K-31-E and never found anything better, but that was 15 years ago. 

So K-31-K

K-31-E

K282

I believe the K282 allowed for the 32HZ Boost setting @Chief bonehead came up with in '08. 

So I have heard of the K-281, and the K-282, and the Jubilees have the K-283. I don't think I have ever seen that anywhere before, would be interested in hearing more about those.

Roy, how long is the break in on a K-283? 50 hours or do they come pre-broke in? (That's a joke, don't answer)

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, MMurg said:

Thanks to the piano movers I can finally listen to these bad boys.  The move in went smoothly.  After assessing the situation, this is what the three men did.  First thing they did was set up a metal ramp that reached from my front walk, over the front stoop and up the additional step to the door. 

Can't tell for sure, but it looks like the effort to find pros, and the wait to fit you in the schedule was well worth it. If you go in the direction where you might need some Salt & Pepper PM me.

@rigma and @bhendrix probably know the most about the best center for a Jubilee L/R where a 3rd won't work. 

Travis

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

I think @jwc posted in that thread that he looked at alternatives for K-31-E and never found anything better, but that was 15 years ago. 

So K-31-K

K-31-E

K282

I believe the K282 allowed for the 32HZ Boost setting @Chief bonehead came up with in '08. 

So I have heard of the K-281, and the K-282, and the Jubilees have the K-283. I don't think I have ever seen that anywhere before, would be interested in hearing more about those.

So are the newer k-31-E / k282 suitable replacements for the k-31-k in the KLF-30's? 

17 hours ago, MMurg said:

I wonder if there would be acoustic issues rear mounting that horn the way the K-402 is on the Jubilee or if it should be flush mounted on the front.

If the horn is mounted on the backside, with a 16x8 opening, it will look really small in your room, so I would be inclined to mount the 18x10 flange on the front side. Your cabinet shop could be asked to router out a recess for the front flange to setback into, so that the horn is flush with the front face of the walnut panel. Then apply a one inch wide strip of black self-stick vinyl over the flange perimeter to cover the screw holes and give it a smooth, clean appearance .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jjptkd said:

So are the newer k-31-E / k282 suitable replacements for the k-31-k in the KLF-30's? 

On 7/15/2022 at 8:30 PM, Chief bonehead said:

The k31 was used for quite awhile. Then we had to switch suppliers and it was called the k282. Same spec though. 

I'd venture to say the answer is yes.

@MMurg, The K-402 horns make the single 18x10 look like a mini-horn, so I extended the black vinyl wrap to about 30x14 on the center channel horn mount panel, giving it better visual proportions. These 2 pictures from a couple years ago show the before and after difference.

P1030513.JPG.65de7bf5437dfff8e8079c52249e4bbc.JPGP1030517.JPG.bcb2a81a0a70f441fd9ee62777e726e6.JPG

Edited by Khornukopia
I zoomed in and cropped the original photos to remove the background..
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

@MMurg, The K-402 horns make the single 18x10 look like a mini-horn, so I extended the black vinyl wrap to about 30x14 on the center channel horn mount panel, giving it better visual proportions. These 2 pictures from a couple years ago show the before and after difference.

P1030513.JPG.a9f88f5f12c2a01de1ee195744fc3fb7.JPG

P1030517.JPG.bab277b5baa678d8883b27383523e01d.JPG

That's so amazing it looks fabricated. In other words...WOW!

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:23 PM, Travis In Austin said:

how long is the break in on a K-283? 50 hours or do they come pre-broke in?

Joking aside, using a sine wave signal at 80% rated power should break in a woofer in about 10 minutes or less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1