The Jubilee are in the house!

MMurg

3 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

If we can just step back for a moment.

The guy finally gets his big Jubilees delivered and set up, yet the group seems to focus on chit chat about furniture polish. Does this seem odd?

I was the one who asked about it for my Belle center.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Hmmmmmm, it is still odd, but it is your conversation.

Ok, then how about this to get things back to speakers.  This past Friday I made a 9-hour + round trip in a Uhaul van to get a pair of used La Scala AL5 in cherry. These will be used as surround speakers in my Jubilee room. Now the 5.0 setup has fully horn-loaded speakers for all channels. The seller lives right on the shore of Lake Ontario. They have a spectacular view from their backyard.

PXL_20220723_034830786 (Large).jpg

PXL_20220722_213245134 (Large).jpg

PXL_20220722_190452097 (Large).jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, MMurg said:

Ok, then how about this to get things back to speakers.  This past Friday I made a 9-hour + round trip in a Uhaul van to get a pair of used La Scala AL5 in cherry. These will be used as surround speakers in my Jubilee room. Now the 5.0 setup has fully horn-loaded speakers for all channels. The seller lives right on the shore of Lake Ontario. They have a spectacular view from their backyard.

Wonderful... what are you using to control the timing on all of the five positions seeing as they are all of differing driver/horn distances to MLP?

31 minutes ago, Schu said:

Wonderful... what are you using to control the timing on all of the five positions seeing as they are all of differing driver/horn distances to MLP?

Just the usual speaker distance function in the processor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MMurg said:

Ok, then how about this to get things back to speakers.  This past Friday I made a 9-hour + round trip in a Uhaul van to get a pair of used La Scala AL5 in cherry. These will be used as surround speakers in my Jubilee room. Now the 5.0 setup has fully horn-loaded speakers for all channels.

Nice looking pair of La Scala.

• Like 1

So, I finally got around to hooking up the stock Belle Klipsch center temporarily just to see how it sounds this way in the Jubilee setup.  I wanted to do it as a passive bi-amp to test the amp setup for the later two-way conversion.  I just used a balanced Y-cable to hook up to the amp for now.  I looked at the AB crossover schematic.  It looks like just disconnecting the woofer and wiring it directly to the amp is all that needs to be done for passive bi-amp with this crossover.  So, that's what I did.  If I've misread this, please let me know.

Unfortunately, in the stock configuration it's not a great match for the Jubilee.  I tried one of my favorite multichannel music tests for this, Annie Lennox singing Into The West during the end credits of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Edition.  In my all-Palladium theater system, she sounds heavenly.  Her voice has an almost bell-like quality.  I get goosebumps every time I listen to it.  However, on the Belle she sounded flat and a little shouty.  The magic was gone.  I'm sure it will be better once this speaker is turned into a two-way with the Axi2050.

One interesting thing I hadn't taken notice of on the back of the speaker was the sticker in the last picture.  Apparently, this speaker is the survivor of some disaster in Utah.  🙂 

PXL_20220727_170714616 (Large).jpg

BelleAb.jpg.729f210065a4d27c2a9193f9a17bfc25.jpg

PXL_20220727_170000639 (Large).jpg

• Confused 1

I wonder if, as a center speaker, something modern like a Heresy IV might not also fit the sound profile of the Heritage Jubilees very well. But I don't know about anything other than 2 channel stereo. Does a center speaker need a lot of deep bass? If not, could a Heresy IV give good results for speech and vocals? 

5 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I bet that Belle would sound better if it was recapped with the latest Klipsch cap upgrade kit.  But I agree you need another top section like the Jubs to do it right.

Yes, that and a different tweeter.  That stock tweeter just doesn't have sufficient top end extension for me.  However, neither will matter once the Axi2050 arrives.  🙂 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MMurg said:

Yes, that and a different tweeter.  That stock tweeter just doesn't have sufficient top end extension for me.  However, neither will matter once the Axi2050 arrives.  🙂 

The Belle tweeter is most definitely attenuated by the bad caps.  Replace the caps and the tweeter will come back.  You will never be happy trying to match top ends until you get the same top end as your Jubs.  Nothing sounds like a 402 horn.  Ask me how I know?  🙂