The Jubilee are in the house!

MMurg

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 7:50 PM, babadono said:

So how are these sweeties? @MMurg You gotta be lovin' them.

They are just amazing.  As I said previously, it's hard to describe them without it just sounding like a string of superlatives.  The only downside is that they are the most "ruthlessly revealing" speakers I've ever owned.  I really can't listen to a lot of bad recordings on this system.

However, with great recordings it's like reaching audio nirvana.  For example, I recently listened to two recordings that I bought specifically as demo material for evaluating the dynamics and bass extension capabilities of a system.  One is the track "The Gates of Däfos" from the album Däfos, a world music collaboration of Mickey Hart (drummer of the Grateful Dead), Airto Moreira, and Flora Purim first released by Reference Recordings in the mid '80s.  On the track Micker Hart plays his custom circular drum setup called "The Beast".  During the recording he actually lifts the setup and lets it slam back to the floor.  The other is the track Exchange from the album Mega Bass, an album of string bass music by Frédéric Alarie.  That track features an instrument called an Octobass, essentially a scaled up double bass that requires standing on a platform to play.  These recordings were impressive on my Palladium system with P-39F and three subs.  However, after listening to them on the Jubilee, I only now feel like I've heard how these recordings are really supposed to sound.  The depth, presence, and dynamics are just unbelievable.

884johnson.dafos.jpg

mickeyhartgreatfuldead2.jpg

800px-Octobasse_Orchestre_Symphonique_de_Montréal_Eric_Chappell_1.jpg

Mega Bass.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, MMurg said:

They are just amazing.  As I said previously, it's hard to describe them without it just sounding like a string of superlatives.  The only downside is that they are the most "ruthlessly revealing" speakers I've ever owned.  I really can't listen to a lot of bad recordings on this system.

@MMurg If my memory is correct didn’t you buy a Schiit Loki Max and if so have you tried it with the Jubilee setup when you have recordings with obvious tonal balance issues..?

miketn

20 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

@MMurg If my memory is correct didn’t you buy a Schiit Loki Max and if so have you tried it with the Jubilee setup when you have recordings with obvious tonal balance issues..?

miketn

Yes, I do have the Loki Max and I can use it correct some equalization issues.  However, some recordings equalization can't correct like recordings with lots of compression, clipping, or missing so much in a frequency band that it's not correctable with eq.  It's these that I can't enjoy listen to on the Jubilee.

Speaking to others with Jubilee, or Jubilee-level speakers, doesn’t it seem odd sometimes that some features in a recording are only audible with a premium system?  I don’t mean the sound of a guitarist’s fingers on the strings, or other audio subtleties, I mean parts of the performance that the performers and engineers worked to include, but are inaudible with 90-95% of the systems they’ll be played on.

A personal example is the song Rainy Day, Dream Away by Jimi Hendrix.  I’ve been listening to this song for over 50 years, on a variety of systems, so I thought I knew it pretty well.  However, I was listening to it a few months ago, and I heard a word I didn’t know was there.  At one point, Jimi sings, “Do you know what I mean?”  That’s what I’d heard all those years, but this time, I heard “Do you know what I mean, brother?”  The word “brother” is quite a bit lower in volume than the rest of the sentence, but it’s easy to hear once you’ve heard it.

I’ve upgraded my system over the years, from original La Scalas with 510 horns and K-69-A drivers, up to its current La Scala IIs with 402 horns and K-691 drivers. My conclusion is that the 691 drivers added that last bit of detail retrieval, allowing that faint word to be heard.  Incidentally, that was on the LP, so those grooves still have secrets for us to hear.

With your Heritage Jubilee system, I expect that you’ll be hearing new things on old songs.  It should be very interesting, and rewarding.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, MMurg said:

Yes, I do have the Loki Max and I can use it correct some equalization issues.  However, some recordings equalization can't correct like recordings with lots of compression, clipping, or missing so much in a frequency band that it's not correctable with eq.  It's these that I can't enjoy listen to on the Jubilee.

Yes it is very obvious that some recordings have been engineered/marketed to sound best when played over very compromised systems and environments like car audio systems over the past decades and those are a lost cause as far as any EQ correction. Recordings engineered/marketed with Tonal Balance issues I find can be improved and enjoyed with well designed Program EQ like the  McIntosh designs (especially the 8 band version).

I’m impressed with the Loki Max design features and especially the ability to adjust from the listener’s seat. From the Specs I wouldn’t expect any noise floor issues if implemented and used properly so I’m curious what your experience is in that regard especially considering the Jubilee sensitivity…?

miketn 

To obtain the maximum benefits and enjoyment of using the McIntosh EQ Controls I have part of my system setup within easy reach from my listening position.

2B2926D3-3887-4083-8811-69A88A6FB43F.thumb.jpeg.07df329094e0b4d72c8c27c2d10828d9.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

miketn 

To obtain the maximum benefits and enjoyment of using the McIntosh EQ Controls I have part of my system setup within easy reach from my listening position.

2B2926D3-3887-4083-8811-69A88A6FB43F.thumb.jpeg.07df329094e0b4d72c8c27c2d10828d9.jpeg

Ah, so your listening position is in front of the Subwoofer, facing backwards. Do your reverse the R and L channels for this giant "headphone" setup? LOL.

4 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Yes it is very obvious that some recordings have been engineered/marketed to sound best when played over very compromised systems and environments like car audio systems over the past decades and those are a lost cause as far as any EQ correction. Recordings engineered/marketed with Tonal Balance issues I find can be improved and enjoyed with well designed Program EQ like the  McIntosh designs (especially the 8 band version).

I’m impressed with the Loki Max design features and especially the ability to adjust from the listener’s seat. From the Specs I wouldn’t expect any noise floor issues if implemented and used properly so I’m curious what your experience is in that regard especially considering the Jubilee sensitivity…?

miketn 

You are correct, the Loki Max is excellent for correcting badly EQ'd recordings and does not add any perceptible noise. I agree completely about the ability for EQ to fix some recordings.  For example, a few nights ago I was indulging in one of my listening "guilty pleasures", AM radio hits from the '70s like "Dance with me" by Orleans, "Me and Mrs. Jones" by Billy Paul, or "Brandy" by Looking Glass.  🙂  The Rolling Stone compilations by Rhino in the pic below that have these songs are all a bit too bright and shill (surprising as Rhino reissues are usually competent).  The Loki Max fixed that issue quite easily.  However, even after that some of the songs on these discs are listenable on the Jubilee and others are not.

PXL_20220825_193016920 (Large).jpg

48 minutes ago, babadono said:

SQ-Mixpad-HERO-1000

I use this:)

I need something like that... the more I check around the more legacy the xilica interface looks. while it does everything ones needs it to do, it lacks any really user GUI that is forward thinking.

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Really bro. 

It was a joke from many moons ago AFAICR. I'm the one who should say "Really, bro?" But anny feedback from you here is good feedback, so I don't want to slow you down in any way. 

Peace, Love, Beatles (with a little Bonnie Raitt thrown in for desert!).

• Haha 1