1972 Heresy set positioned on floor

MeloManiac

This morning I finally took the time to rearrange my Heresy speakers: I put them on the floor, tilted with diy risers I bought in a diy store. 

(before, they were placed higher with the tweeters at ear height) 

I had never thought they would sound so different! The high and low frequencies are much better balanced. 

Thank you to those who nudged me to do this. It was a small effort, quick, and cost no money at all! 

PSX_20220715_110831.jpg

PSX_20220715_110902.jpg

PSX_20220715_110938.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Glad you tried it and like it.

My “ Supered” HIPs sit on the floor on closed cell foam wedges that raise the fronts a pot two inches above the carpet.  IIRC, I gave a set to Claude @ClaudeJ1, the father of “Super” Heresys.

Better yet, you referred me to the "Foam Store" which, for me is like being a kid in a Candy Store!

4 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

I had never thought they would sound so different! The high and low frequencies are much better balanced. 

Thank you to those who nudged me to do this. It was a small effort, quick, and cost no money at all! 

"Cost no money at all?" How about you spend some serious Mod Money and create a Super Heresy 2.0 that will make the effect of speaker placement even more significant when you have the same size box with higher output capability, greater detail, lower bass, and lower distortion. But you gotta be willing to commit the time and effort along with the money, aye? Or just buy a Heresy IV if you have a thicker wallet and no time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my '75 heresys are sitting flat on the floor on the ~2" non-tilted factory risers from that period.  i tried tilting them back, but quickly put them back.  i found tilted back a bit too much "in your face".

sounds best like this to me (see below).  current positioning is more toed in than this, crossing a couple of feet in front of the sitting position.

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

my '75 heresys are sitting flat on the floor on the ~2" non-tilted factory risers from that period.  i tried tilting them back, but quickly put them back.  i found tilted back a bit too much "in your face".

sounds best like this to me (see below).  current positioning is more toed in than this, crossing a couple of feet in front of the sitting position.

spacer.png

Well, I took your advice and removed the tilted risers. The are now true floorstanders (on a 2mm rubber mat). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Well, I took your advice and removed the tilted risers. The are now true floorstanders (on a 2mm rubber mat). 

so what do you think?  i think one reason it works for me is that my chair is fairly low.

i'm probably in the minority -- most people seem to like them tilted back and/or raised!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jcn3 said:

so what do you think?  i think one reason it works for me is that my chair is fairly low.

i'm probably in the minority -- most people seem to like them tilted back and/or raised!

Well, raised and tilted, up to now I've have always set my Leben''s "bass boost" at +3dB and now that it is flat on the floor,  I had to turn it off with some recordings because low freqs were too dominant!

IMG_20220716_084551.jpg

• Like 1