Klipsch KG4.2 Speakers

RocketFoot

Any one know if Klipsch KG4.2 speakers are any good?  I really like the looks of them plus they would fit in well with my vintage system!  I just don't know if they are worth hunting down, driving after, shipping or what ever I have to do to get them!

vddvvdv.jpg

5 hours ago, RocketFoot said:

Any one know if Klipsch KG4.2 speakers are any good?  I really like the looks of them plus they would fit in well with my vintage system! 

I had a pair for awhile they sounded quite good to me especially for the price believe I paid $150 and not far at all from me I was happy.

• Like 3

@RocketFoot     you're a lot better off , buying Heresy 1 speakers as they are a 3 way ,12 inch woofer ,  in a solid wood cabinet   they use the same parts in the HF as the khorn-Lascala-Belle-Cornwall , and for 575$  + shipping , look at @willland 's  deal , the speakers are  mint , recapped and updated , it just does not get better 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/209226-heresys-birch-raw-in-central-fl-57500-local-pickupdelivery/&

I personally prefer the 5.2's over the 5.5's but both are excellent speakers I just find the 5.2 to be more balanced where the 5.5's are very bass heavy great for cranking them up for easier more critical listening the 5.2's do it for me a bit better. 

I've had the 4.2's and 4.5's don't remember there being really that much difference in sound or bass I did like the taller more tower like cabinet size of the 4.5's almost need stands for the 4.2's.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HiFi Heaven said:

KG 4.2's have MUCH more bass output than any Heresy.  Also the .2 series have passive radiators for better bass extension than the port on the .5 models.

Agreed... heresy are nice but absolutely need a sub (if you want bass below ~50hz) for everything but maybe some low volume classical music... they drop like a rock below 50hz!  nothing wrong with a good 2 way, some of the best klipsch models are 2 ways. 

the .2s passive radiators dont really have any better bass extension than the ported .5s, the 4.2/5.2 has the exact same freq response as the 4.5/5.5, but the bigger 5.5 has dual 10" woofers vs a single 12 of the 5.2,  the 5.5s are more efficient than the 5.2 also.  both versions of KG are great speakers for the used market prices these sell for.

for the price difference of KG4.2 vs heresy1, i would much rather have 4.2s for probably close to half the price of heresy.  the mentioned pair for sale would be  $625-$650 with shipping.    

1 hour ago, 001 said:

Agreed... heresy are nice but absolutely need a sub (if you want bass below ~50hz) for everything but maybe some low volume classical music... they drop like a rock below 50hz!  nothing wrong with a good 2 way, some of the best klipsch models are 2 ways. 

the .2s passive radiators dont really have any better bass extension than the ported .5s, the 4.2/5.2 has the exact same freq response as the 4.5/5.5, but the bigger 5.5 has dual 10" woofers vs a single 12 of the 5.2,  the 5.5s are more efficient than the 5.2 also.  both versions of KG are great speakers for the used market prices these sell for.

for the price difference of KG4.2 vs heresy1, i would much rather have 4.2s for probably close to half the price of heresy.  the mentioned pair for sale would be  $625-$650 with shipping.    

I've had both the kg 4.2 and the Heresy. I agree; the Heresy is a great speaker but it needs a subwoofer. The kg 4.2, while much less expensive, plays lower and sounds damn good. It does have a slightly different voicing because of 2-way vs. 3-way configuration but not enough disparage it.

In fact, when I was first immersed in Klipsch speakers, I had the Heresies and bought the kg4.2s intending to keep only one pair. So I posted both on craigslist and vowed to keep the pair that didn't sell first. I was left with the Heresies and eventually bought a subwoofer to "fill them out".

I honestly would prefer the kg4.2s because I view the addition of a subwoofer to my Heresies as increased complexity what with wiring and power etc., and I like simplicity.

I paid $350/pr for my kg4.2s in December 2017.

• Like 1