Stacking Gear ?

Cornman

I have A PS Audio Perfect Wave dac that I like so much that I could not resist the urge to purchase the matching PS transport . I will be stacking one on top of other . Which should go on bottom Dac or cd Transport ?

Thanks,

5 hours ago, Cornman said:

I have A PS Audio Perfect Wave dac that I like so much that I could not resist the urge to purchase the matching PS transport . I will be stacking one on top of other . Which should go on bottom Dac or cd Transport ?

Thanks,

Don't stack them with the bottom of one resting on the top of the other.  They need heat dissipation and good air currents circulating.

If they have rack mount kits, mount them with a gap of several inches between the  top of one and the bottom of the other.

If they don't have rack mount hardware, put them on shelves several inches apart.

From the manual: "All PS Audio components require adequate ventilation at all times during operation. Rack mounting is acceptable where appropriate." 

It is true that some people get away with direct stacking, but, IMO they are taking a risk.  Maybe they have been bamboozled by advertising photos from the PR department.

If you play music through most of the day like I do, all components will get warm, possibly very warm [you could fry an egg on some tube equipment].

My guess -- and it is just a guess -- is that the CD player will emit less heat, so could be put on the bottom.

• Like 2

Thanks Gary , my gear is in cabinet shelving  I do allow lots of space between units to dissipate heat . Your  right  have seen to many photos of dac and transport stacked on each other . Ill take the safest approach & give a shelf for each component .

By the way Gary assuming that's you in your avatar -I also have a beard that looks like yours . :)

10 hours ago, Cornman said:

By the way Gary assuming that's you in your avatar -I also have a beard that looks like yours . :)

It's me!   The size of the beard varies with mood.  Is yours gray?  I've had mine since 1965. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:06 PM, Cornman said:

Thanks,

Having owned these units, I can advise they stack nicely and were designed with feet to mate with the tops of the other pieces. They are not designed to rack mount.

I trimmed the corners of the plastic protecting the piano black tops so they would stack & not damage the tops. I had the CD on the bottom. The were not in a cabinet so the sides and backs were open to ventilate. The DAC is digital, was left on nearly 24/7 and did not generate any appreciate heat.