Jubilee thd @ 115db/1 meter ?

Camplo

Hi guys... has anyone measured the Jubilee with Axi2050 at 115db and 1 meter? Preferably in the outdoors or better?

This would give a picture of what the transient performance is like....

This is my Axi+horn, some voicing and a 200hz xo....

image.thumb.png.4d96a78dd6fd72d372baf0e6da44a414.png

A 115db/1m measurement of the Axi2050+K402 horn might be appropriate...

Edited by Camplo
  • Thanks 1

No, that is why I am asking for measurements of the 2nd gen Jubilee... 115db/1m is sort of a standard. I am wondering how the Axi2050 performs on the k402 using the Jubilees intended, 200hz xo point.

My measurements above are of the Axi2050 on a different horn.

7 minutes ago, Camplo said:

225hz? 

what is the intended XO?

340hz

SPECIFICATIONS FREQUENCY RESPONSE (+1.75 dB/- 3 dB) 18Hz – 20kHz SENSITIVITY1 Avg. Sensitivity of HF - 110dB Avg. Sensitivity of LF - 107dB POWER HANDLING (CONT/PEAK) LF - 300W / 1200W HF - 100W / 400W MAXIMUM SPL 125 dB/1m (Using DSP) NOMINAL IMPEDANCE LF - 8 ohms, minimum 3.5 ohms at 160Hz HF - 16 ohms, miminum 7.6 ohms at 4.3kHz CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 340 Hz HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER K-693 7” Titanium Diaphragm Compression Driver with 5” Voice Coil LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER Dual K-283 12” Fiber-Composite cone woofers ENCLOSURE MATERIAL MDF INPUTS 5 way binding post HEIGHT 69.5” (175.26 cm) WIDTH 50.25” (127 cm) DEPTH 30.25” (76.2 cm) WEIGHT LF - 330 lbs (149.68 kg) HF - 78 lbs (35.38 kg) FINISH Black Ash, American Walnut GRILLE Salt and Pepper Cloth

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Camplo said:

Ok ty! 

Regardless, I'd love to see a 1 meter measurement at 115db...

Just the horn and horn+woofer...I dont know if anyone here, who has the Jubilee 2nd gen, is capable of taking thd measurements.

Sure they are here. To what good or purpose would this serve a fair question. Idle curiosity...

• Like 1

115db @ 1m is a standard for some.  Transients can be 20db or more over average, hence the desire for headroom... distortion must be low for the transient peak level spl, to ensure the fidelity of the peaks.

In a nutshell... one can determine at which level, transients are highly distorted... allowing one to conclude max linear performance of said system, along with the max average spl allowed for perfect peak playback 

Edited by Camplo

11 hours ago, Camplo said:

115db @ 1m is a standard for some.  Transients can be 20db or more over average, hence the desire for headroom... distortion must be low for the transient peak level spl, to ensure the fidelity of the peaks.

In a nutshell... one can determine at which level, transients are highly distorted... allowing one to conclude max linear performance of said system, along with the max average spl allowed for perfect peak playback 

34 minutes ago, Schu said:

Your plan is to figure out maximum playback spl for home use on a speaker that is capable for filling a 200-300 seat commercial theater?

These aren't toys... you'll shoot your eye out.

Schu makes a good point in my opinion.  I'm going to guess you've never heard any version of the Jubilee?  To use a car analogy.....  imagine driving a Ferrari down the road.  You realize the car is capable of going 200 MPH sustained speed.....  and you also find that for your in-town purposes of using it (going to store to buy a loaf of bread) you get nervous if you go over 70 (while in town)....

Well...  if this is the case, then the fact it can do 200 mph is a bit moot, no?

These things will force you out of the room if you get stupid with the volume control.  They will have you way out of the room, before they run out of steam.

(go ahead & ask me about the time I had mine playing LOUD upstairs while I was downstairs with over-ear hearing protection on as I was framing in basement BUT wanted to hear some "background" music....  suddenly CD's changed and next CD was WAY hotter than the first one and the volume went VIOLENTLY loud....  I raced upstairs to turn down before something blew and as I raced across room (hearing protection still on thankfully) I took my eyes to the meters on my McIntosh 2102 (which was powering the K402/K69 driver) and the meters  were PEGGED to the right, suggesting it was doing at/near 100 watts on the K402 alone.  The dbx BX-1 amp had no meters)

NO WAY do I want to be in that room with them at that level yet, they weren't complaining.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Coytee said:

NO WAY do I want to be in that room with them at that level yet, they weren't complaining. 

Funny how people always forget to pop out the spl meter during these "The fish wasThis big" type stories lol. I have no idea how loud you think loud is....and mph does not translate to spl... You didn't mention anything falling off the walls either....even though you thought something was going to blow....the Jubilee is really efficient and doesn't need a lot of power. So while I know that the Jubillee is that loud, I like to see measurements, detailed measurements. In particular, the Jubliee at 115db / 1m. I have a loud system thats as big as the Jubilee. Its a work in progress. I chose not to go the 6th order bandpass route and use a sealed 15" and 2 - 18"s on each side under the Axi2050.

9 hours ago, Schu said:

These aren't toys... you'll shoot your eye out.

The loudest thing on the Jubilee is the Axi2050....they are not different from mine (ignoring the jubilees phase plug) My horn is a lot bigger. In the backyard I've played it pretty loud. Over 125db.... My eye's are still here but....could you speak a little louder lol!

I'll try to explain again.....Music and media contain transient peaks that can be 20db or more......over average spl. You may be listening at 80db rms.....but the transient peaks can reach 110db easily. This is easily exposed with Rew and a microphone btw....... Not all material will be as dynamic as other material. The point is.....the distortion levels at the true peak levels.....matter. So you take a measurement at 80db......thd is really low......maybe you take a measurement at 110db and thd is over 10%......as you may know, mechanical strain, is the enemy, and can cause harmonic as well as amplitude distortion. You can decide at what point the transient level spl has gone into distortion, just by taking a reading at said anticipated levels....

Having Peaks that reside at 115db is not the same thing as listening to music at 115db average.

9 hours ago, Schu said:

is capable for filling a 200-300 seat commercial theater?

That is an over exaggeration, I can assure there will not be enough bass! considering my system is a little bigger, I'm questioning your thoughts on that lol. Got me looking at my system, like.....could you do that? lol!!!

Edited by Camplo

44 minutes ago, Camplo said:

Funny how people always forget to pop out the spl meter during these "The fish wasThis big" type stories lol. I have no idea how loud you think loud is....and mph does not translate to spl... You didn't mention anything falling off the walls either....even though you thought something was going to blow....the Jubilee is really efficient and doesn't need a lot of power. So while I know that the Jubillee is that loud, I like to see measurements, detailed measurements. In particular, the Jubliee at 115db / 1m. I have a loud system thats as big as the Jubilee. Its a work in progress. I chose not to go the 6th order bandpass route and use a sealed 15" and 2 - 18"s on each side under the Axi2050.

The loudest thing on the Jubilee is the Axi2050....they are not different from mine (ignoring the jubilees phase plug) My horn is a lot bigger. In the backyard I've played it pretty loud. Over 125db.... My eye's are still here but....could you speak a little louder lol!

I'll try to explain again.....Music and media contain transient peaks that can be 20db or more......over average spl. You may be listening at 80db rms.....but the transient peaks can reach 110db easily. This is easily exposed with Rew and a microphone btw....... Not all material will be as dynamic as other material. The point is.....the distortion levels at the true peak levels.....matter. So you take a measurement at 80db......thd is really low......maybe you take a measurement at 110db and thd is over 10%......as you may know, mechanical strain, is the enemy, and can cause harmonic as well as amplitude distortion. You can decide at what point the transient level spl has gone into distortion, just by taking a reading at said anticipated levels....

Having Peaks that reside at 115db is not the same thing as listening to music at 115db average.

That is an over exaggeration, I can assure there will not be enough bass! considering my system is a little bigger, I'm questioning your thoughts on that lol. Got me looking at my system, like.....could you do that? lol!!!

I am still yawning...

I've lost interest in your quest.

• Like 1

I am only interested in the science, not opinion so thats ok.

The Jubilee is down 10db by 34hz... its bass shy. So that 128 turns into ~118db unless your aren't interested in a balanced sounding system... 118db/1m is more realistic for 2 15's in a 6th order Bp, playing ~30hz

Sticking to measurements is key... otherwise you might start sounding like a salesman lol

14 minutes ago, billybob said:

Anechoic chamber takes guess work out of the equation.

Exactly.... I am not sure why people get upset over a person asking for measurements. We shouldnt exactly need an anechoic chamber for such measurements though. I took mine in the backyard. I would settle for measurements in ones listening space even but first we would have to find someone willing to take the measurements!

3 minutes ago, Camplo said:

I am only interested in the science, not opinion so thats ok.

The Jubilee is down 10db by 34hz... its bass shy. So that 128 turns into ~118db unless your aren't interested in a balanced sounding system... 118db/1m is more realistic for 2 15's in a 6th order Bp, playing ~30hz

Sticking to measurements is key... otherwise you might start sounding like a salesman lol

Which Jubilee are you discussing?  I thought you said you were interested in the "2nd gen Jubilee", which I interpret to be the new Heritage line Jubilee.  The specs for that speaker state: FREQUENCY RESPONSE (+1.75 dB/- 3 dB) 18Hz – 20kHz.  No one would call it bass shy.