Cherry Freestanding Tweeters

Dave A

Many of you do not know my wife had a stroke on 5/2 this year and so lots of projects were delayed or on hold. I have a ton of wood to work with and much of it I have never cut before. Curly Ash, Curly spalted hard Maple, and some big old Walnut Live edge slabs I might just turn into tables. Really nice crotch wood in them. I have some White Oak with spalting also. And then there is some Cherry that I started on some time ago and just finished today. Kind of tells you where my mind is at with the rod stock holes all the way through to the front side because I left the wrong "Z" level in there. You cut one wrong you cut them both wrong and act like it was a plan. Anyway I thought the wood grain was interesting the closer you look and the picture does not do it justice. I have some curly Cherry I have to glue together to get pieces thick enough to make a set of these but they look like they will have real character to them.

I enjoy working with wood as the variables are considerable. The downside is learning the idiosyncrasies of each wood type with no one here to show me how to avoid mistakes. Here is an example of what I mean. I use a 3" face mill to cut the front and back sides and on these freestanders where the width is 7" there are three left to right passes to face them off with. It kind of picks the wood out a bit and you can see where the pass edges are. It requires a fair amount of sanding to make those go away. Probably reducing the step over to maybe 40% of the cutter width will stop this and I will find out soon. I also wonder if changing the direction of cut 90 degrees would end the problem. Crossing the wood grain and not paralleling the wood grain.

DSC_0001.JPG

• Like 5

Hi Dave - Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she is on her way to a full recovery.4 years ago I slammed my head into a reef while body surfing and it resulted in a severe head injury that lead to a stroke.. My recovery went well but it does take some time and all of a sudden if you get lucky everything seems to work like before. Wishing her all my best - Peace and respect - David

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:22 PM, Dave A said:

I use a 3" face mill to cut the front and back sides and on these freestanders where the width is 7" there are three left to right passes to face them off with. It kind of picks the wood out a bit and you can see where the pass edges are. It requires a fair amount of sanding to make those go away.

Is your cutter RPM speed high enough for that wood?

23 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Is your cutter RPM speed high enough for that wood?

I don't know. 3" diameter at 2750 rpm seems to work well but is it optimal? Getting some cabinets made at a cnc shop soon and I am going to ask them along with bringing samples of my woes with me.

16 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Sorry to hear about your wife Dave.  Hope she is making a solid recovery. Very nice wood work as always, I always watch from a distance, even if I'm not on here per se. Take care my friend. 

She is but no fun for either of us.

• Sad 1

Looks like I need to get off my lazy, procrastinating butt, and get curvin' on those suckers! They should be a fantastic choice to go on top of LaScalas, Belles, or any Heritage speaker where you want to physically time align the Tweeter to the mid or woofer.

10 hours ago, Dave A said:

I don't know. 3" diameter at 2750 rpm seems to work well but is it optimal? Getting some cabinets made at a cnc shop soon and I am going to ask them along with bringing samples of my woes with me.

I think that may be slow for wood working. Your cabinet shop CNC operator should be able to answer that better, especially as it pertains to your wood sample. 

A reply to all of you who have commented on Janet. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes and yes she is doing much better but still some ways to go. It is kind of nerve wracking to see side effects of the stroke and wonder if this days speech and articulation woes mean a growing new problem or just normal recovery which does not always progress upwards each and every day.

• Like 3

Just now, Khornukopia said:

@Dave A , What is the silver dot on the lower front of the cherry wood?

From the original post:

"Kind of tells you where my mind is at with the rod stock holes all the way through to the front side because I left the wrong "Z" level in there. You cut one wrong you cut them both wrong and act like it was a plan."