Will a classic Harman Kardon AVR 325 drive the Klipsch Reference or Reference Premier speakers?

Garo7

I have 10 hours left to answer this question (or I miss the July Sale!)

Will a classic Harman Kardon AVR 325 drive the Klipsch Reference or Reference Premier speakers in 7.1 configuration? The AVR 325 is only rated at 45W per channel x 8 - but this era HK is apparently way more powerful than your average receiver rated at this power level.

The room is 18' x 16' w/normal ceiling (8-9 foot). Would I be able to upgrade speaker to the reference series for this receiver?

Replies are welcome as I only have a few hours left to buy.

Thanks! - Garo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to you all for your replies. Well, I found the 'deadline' for the Klipsch July Sale' to be extended. In-fact I think it's just ON all the time so plenty of time to decide. Duh... LOL

As it turns out I went ahead and put together my own 9.1 surround set of Klipsch:

2 x RP-8060FA Front (w/Height channel built-in)
1 x SPL120 Sub
2 x RP-600M (side channel)
2 x RP-502S  (back surround)
1 x RP-504C (front channel)

This seemed like the current best quality for buck. The RP II's are out now, but cost twice as much, but because of this the prices on the standard Reference Premier's are now quite nicely down into the common man range. :) I like the clean look of the newest RP's too I guess.

I realize I wont get the last 2 channels only having 7.1 on the receiver, but perhaps one day I will upgrade to a 9.1 or higher receiver, or find another way to utilize the height channels built into the RP-8060FA's, and for only $100 more per speaker, having the built-in height speakers was too good to pass up. 

Anyway, I keep looking at the old AVR-325 spec that reads "Total Power Consumption:  890W w/7-channels driven", while other modern and supposedly more powerful receivers (like Marantz) report 100-150+W per channel, but with a strange "70% guarantee" -> "70% of rated wattage per channel, with 5 channels driven".

So, I am look at this a wondering... wtf??? And I see so many people saying how much better the old HKs sound than the newer receivers, and how much the newer designs have their power ratings jacked-up on paper.

Even before seeing you replies, I decided to go ahead and get this set of speakers and see how it goes. Hee... like audio exploration, into the unknown. There is what is supposed to be, what is not supposed to be, and what I might find I guess. I'll know when I get there. Hopefully I don't crash my boat into the rocks. :)

I'll be a week now receiving the various 8 units, and then getting them from the USPS PO to my place in my Veloster, and then up the stairs. lol Then another day or two  on a weekend getting them unboxed, swapped into place, and tuned.

Man... it's a lot of money and a lot of work. Hopefully it will be worth it. :) 

• Like 1

Regarding: "I think the AVR 325 has also pre-outs..."

Yeah, the AVR-325 also has full a bank of 7.1 8-channel line level IN's as well. I can use these to play DTS-MA, and True-HD Blu Rays using the PCM mode and DAC on m
y Panasonic DMP-BDT500, since has the full 8-channels of Pre-out coax ports as well. It is a little tricky to configure though...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...