Chorus 2 modded with more efficient woofer?

Bubba_Buoy

6 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

A 1/4 db over a wide bandwidth can absolutely change the spectral balance. 

When dialing-in my biamplified system, I usually adjust the gains in 1/2 dB increments. That's a very small change, and it takes a fair amount of listening time to perceive it.

I'm not sure that I could hear 1/4 dB, but then my hearing's not what it used to be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Well don’t know about that. 

I should have said: "All speakers (with few exceptions) need a subwoofer to get to 20 Hz. or lower." My bad for being lazy and only including Klipsch. Ya still don't need one for a Jubilee 75 'cause it's in there, since you put it in there!

OK, so it's not a subwoofer literally but the bandpass/resonant box/electronics box accomplish the same thing in Concert with each other. Clever boy you are.

11 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Thanks for answering, Roy many do not get this

Most understand that if you've changed the sound, you did it by changing the behavior of network when you changed the parts. That's the whole point of a mod - to change the sound. But not every change is for the better. When I mod the AA, I knock a dB off of the midrange to account for the lower ESR of the polypropylene capacitors. It is not perfect in that it doesn't match the transfer function of the original network, but it manages to sound very good. This is the only Klipsch design I mod, well, I may do an occasional set of RF-7's.

I found posts last night going back over decade of me saying that the Sonicap makes the speaker too bright. I thought the same thing about the GE cans. It's why I used to build with Jensen paper in oils, and then the Jupiters and Arizona Blues. Cost prohibitive for many and not a great solution for the smaller stuff where you end up with a set of networks that costs almost as much as the speakers are worth.

Many people don't want mods, they just want them back the way they were. I'm not a big fan of metallized polyester (for possibly irrational reasons), but I'm just one set of ears and many appear to be perfectly fine with them. I do think they are the simplest, straightforward solution to the brightness issue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Absolutely true. So many people just don’t get it. 

so many people just dont get it because its never really been explained here...  even when asked about.    

14 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

It is most likely that your “modded” network has a different voltage curve than was intended. A 1/4 db over a wide bandwidth can absolutely change the spectral balance. 

in an effort to understand this, how does changing 2 caps in the mid/tweet section change the bass freq or output of a speaker?  the crites crossovers & kits use the same spec electolytic caps for the woofers & doesnt change anything else in the network related to the bass/woofer.  in all of the klipsch & other brands of speakers i have changed mid/tweet caps in, it has never changed or hurt the bass.  some even say changing the possibly out of spec lytic caps actually helped the bass.  

4 minutes ago, 001 said:

in an effort to understand this, how does changing 2 caps in the mid/tweet section change the bass freq or output of a speaker?

Playing Devil's Advocate here: In a passive network, everything affects everything else. All of the components interact. Some of the interactions are minor, even negligible. Some are not. One would have to do a full circuit analysis and sensitivity study to quantify the effects.

Personally, I'm skeptical that changing capacitors in the mid/tweet section affects the bass in any significant way. But a full analysis could prove me wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Personally, I'm skeptical that changing capacitors in the mid/tweet section affects the bass in any significant way.

If the capacitors you choose bring the midrange and tweeter forward, you will hear less bass. 

• Like 2