Kreg Foreman - What a great tool!

tigerwoodKhorns

I bought a Kreg Foreman on a discount several years a go and just used it for the first time yesterday.  The setup videos are not very good, but once you figure it out, this thing set up so easily and is fast.  I drilled a bunch of holes that would have taken may an hour in maybe ten minutes.  If you drill pocket holes this thing is really worth it. 

On a similar note, I have had trouble with the second piece (the one without the pocket hole receiving the screw) slipping slightly.  I solved this.  I bought a very long drill bit and use it to drill through the pocket hole and slightly into the second piece.  Now the first screw goes in and holds everything.  Don't need a pilot hole for the second one. 

14 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

That is a nice tool. I don't drill pocket holes very often so, my clamp on Kreg guide has done well but, this is now on my list. 

I have drilled 10 holes in about four years and it is worth it.  I plan to use it more in the future.  Go for it. 

17 hours ago, JJkizak said:

It does work well once you get it set properly. I use it a lot.

JJK

One problem is that the fence is only marked for 1/2 3/3 and 1.5"

I know that you set the bit to exit at the middle of the piece (extrapolate) but you have to set the fence and the bit depth at the same time, so for other sized you can estimate and then check the depth of the bit.  I am pocketing 1" boards and found an easier method.  I used my old hand jig and just set it for 1" and measured from the bottom of the pocket jig to the bottom where the board stops.  Used this to set the machine and scribed a line. 

I do have a question.  the dust attachment is 1 1/4 inch.  I need to go from this to a 2" hose Measures bigger then 2" - 2.3 on the outside.  What attachment do you use? 

58 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I do have a question.  the dust attachment is 1 1/4 inch.  I need to go from this to a 2" hose Measures bigger then 2" - 2.3 on the outside.  What attachment do you use? 

I use adapters like this, Amazon.com: 3 Pieces Universal Vacuum Hose Adapter, 2-1/2 Inch to 1-1/4 Inch, 1-1/4 Inch to 1-3/8 Inch to 1-1/2 Inch, 1-3/8 Inch to 1-1/4 Inch Wet Dry Vacuum Converter Reducer Attachments for Vacuum Cleaner : Home & Kitchen

Problem with the hose adapters is the non-standardized sizes between different tool brands on one end and the different shop vac brands at the other. If you take the exact measurements and a caliper gauge to Home Depot or Lowe's and check their adapters, you might find the right one. Sometimes you need to use a sanding drum on one part to make it fit.

9 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I use adapters like this, Amazon.com: 3 Pieces Universal Vacuum Hose Adapter, 2-1/2 Inch to 1-1/4 Inch, 1-1/4 Inch to 1-3/8 Inch to 1-1/2 Inch, 1-3/8 Inch to 1-1/4 Inch Wet Dry Vacuum Converter Reducer Attachments for Vacuum Cleaner : Home & Kitchen

If you take the exact measurements and a caliper gauge to Home Depot or Lowe's and check their adapters, you might find the right one. Sometimes you need to use a sanding drum on one part to make it fit.

Thanks.  I did use a caliper and yes, it would be nice if sized were standard.