Enjoying getting used to small speakers again.

I’ve recently downsized speakers from Kpt-942’s and MWM/K-402’s, to La Scala industrial splits. I got around to hooking them up tonight.  I hadn’t heard a pair of La Scala’s since I sold my pair a couple years ago. I was a little nervous that I’d be disappointed. I spent about 2 hours listening this evening and was really impressed. I remembered very quickly why I liked the La Scala’s so much. Live music on them is just so good it’s ridiculous. It’s unbelievable to me how lifelike and raw they are for such small speakers. I’m aware of their shortcomings on low bass, but that is an easy compromise for me because of what the do really well. Bass is clean, crisp and natural. Highs, again just raw and ominously realistic. They have a dynamic presence that I’ve never had with another speaker. I will not make the mistake of selling them again. Are they better than the big Klipsch they replaced? No, but they will definitely do for the time being. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

La Scala industrial

As a happy owner of a set of Heresy speakers, your defining La Scala speakers as 'small' and 'downscaling', put a smile on my face - considering my chronic back pain. 😉

images.jpeg

$_27.jpeg

CD9AEED5-FE8E-4DEB-A5BD-C8DBFA2F3238.jpeg.bc9de5bf4af2e382b3687fa2b5661f7a.jpeg

KPT-942-M-2WAY-2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I have Underground Jubilees and 1977 Lascalas. The difference is that the Jubilees beam me into the recording as if I were a part of it but the Lascalas make the sound merge with my listening room. Both have their own great appeal and yet they are so different.

• Like 4

Just now, rockhound said:

There is a reason those splits never come up for sale. I will never sell mine already in the will to go to my son.

The midrange slam is awesome, enjoy!

I know. I’ve been trying to con you out of them for a while now. 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Rickyboy, If you get a chance, drag those splits outside and cut them loose. When I get mine outdoors (no neighbors) and crank them up, it is yet another level for these already wonderful speakers. 

I did! Only neighbor I have is one of my good buddies. Luckily, he likes the same music I do. I bet you could hear them a couple miles away though. Just awesome!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Bruce

You need another pair of La Scala’s. Perfect size for your listening room. 

I've got a health issue to deal with for a while, but I'm leaning toward building some FH-1 cabinets. I't got the top end hardware and active crossover th go with them.

The picture of the speakers out on the lawn brought back a memory of my early days in 'hi-fi'. I'd gotten a 24 Watt Knight tube amp with 5881 tubes and a University 12 inch triax speaker and build a knock-off cabinet from inspecting an Electro-Voice corner cabinet. I was a curious and unthoughtful kid. I wondered how far away I could hear my set up from my house. Took the speaker into the back yard and ran a wire from the amplifier. Dropped on an early Pressly 78, got on my bike and rode north. Audible from at least two blocks away. As the needle recirculated in the groove at the end of the record, my speaker was surrounded by neighbors trying to figure out how to silence it. Now I only have 9 Watts per channel to pour into my early-70s Klipschorns, but that seems more than enough. Can't easily take them out on the lawn to test their range.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

If I want small speakers I will get in the Car

As much as I try to convince myself that the smaller speakers do 90% of what the big speaker did, they just don’t. I’m not done with big Klipsch. For now, I’m content with La Scala’s. 

• Like 4

On 7/24/2022 at 11:09 AM, MookieStl said:

I'm not sure if there are any neighbors where I cut mine loose, or if they like the same kind of music (doubt it). Easily hear a mile away.

How do those subs work out in free space with 4 LA scalas....? I know the answer. Awesome setup regardless. Fun.