Amp for Heresy IV Speakers

Tom.Adamson

Hello,

I'm looking for a good amp to drive a pair of Heresy IV speakers. I plan to have a turntable (that will probably need a pre-amp) and CD, and my room is 24'x24'x10'. I've spoke to Klipsch and they say the Heresy's need going with an amplifier that can provide between 80 and 120W (at 8 ohms and sticking within 20% of the Heresy's rated power handling of 100W. not an audiophile (yet) but I have some friends that claim they have extraordinary hearing. I'm looking to fulfill a dream from my 20's with a family when I couldn't afford a good stereo. I'm 70 now andI don't want to start too small and move-up latter. I've read a lot of recommendations where smaller amps are good, so I really don't know. I'd like to stay under $1000. I hope someone out there can help on this. 

Thanks

Tom

• Like 1

Tom:  Welcome to the forum!

What genres of music do you listen to?

What is your goal for your hi-fi system?

• Create the illusion that you’re at a live concert?   If so, for what genre(s) of music?
  • Low-volume-level, unobtrusive background music?
  • Ear-bleed high-frequency?   Thunderous bass?   Freakish, pinpoint spatial imaging?
  • Other?

Which of the following recording formats do you plan to use?

• LP
  • CD (Stereo-only.   No multi-channel (e.g., 5.1) capability.) 
  • DVD (stereo and 5.1)
  • DVD-Audio (stereo and 5.1)
  • SACD (stereo and 5.1)
  • Pure Audio Blu-ray (DTS-HD MA 5.1, plus stereo track, and sometimes additional audio tracks)
  • Blu-ray (DTS-HD MA 5.1, plus stereo track, and sometimes additional audio tracks)
  • Ultra HD Blu-ray (DTS-HD MA 5.1, plus stereo track, and sometimes additional audio tracks)
  • Hi-res downloads?    24bit/192kHz PCM (IME, stereo)?    Hi-res DSD (stereo and 5.1)?

The reason that I ask is that there’s a big difference in playing an LP of a “little girl with a guitar” in a small listening room, vs. delivering in a large listening room an experience that approximates the live performance of Mahler Symphony 2 based on a modern recording that features uncompromised dynamic range and frequency range such as a Blu-ray disc featuring an uncompressed DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track.

Following is a link to my post where I provide my opinions about power requirements in more detail:

Of course, adequate power is only one decision criterion for an amp.

Accurately reproducing the timbre of orchestral instruments is important for classical music.   FWIW – IMO – Klipsch speakers are well-served by tube amps (I prefer 6L6GC) for playing recordings of classical music (i.e., music for which the natural timbre of instruments is known).   

Electronically produced music is a different can of worms.   (What is the natural timber of a digital audio workstation (DAW) software plug-in?)  IMO, for electronically produced music, go with what sounds good to you.

Hello, Thank you all for your response, I really appreciate it. Re: the above questions: I plan to enjoy LP albums from the 60's - 70s and I'd like to buy more LPs. I also have CD's from same period. I don't have a dedicated listening room and I'll be using a large room that holds our Living Room, Dining Room, and Kitchen. I like low to medium volume but my wife likes it loud when we're working on the house. I've always wanted something like Kenwood/ Pioneer stereo systems friends had in the 70's with large box speakers. I've been looking at the Cambridge Audio, trying to  follow the Klipsch Heresy power advice, the AXR100 appears to meet the requirements but the CSXA81 might deliver better sound (at 2x the cost). Klipsch recommends staying within 20% of the 100 watt Heresy design, so it seems 80 watts/per channel would be fine. I've heard tube amps are good but I'm kind of scared of them, I'm not good fixing things and I live in a small town without dealers, repair, etc. I'm looking at the Fluence RT85N turntable (no preamp), and an audio CD that would match up with the Amplifier. It would be nice to stream to outdoor speakers and record on my iPhone or Mac. I don't have a use for Radio because we don't receive a signal where we live. Our TV has it's own sound bar/woofer. 

• Like 1

So, since you are happy with your HT sound bar and sub, guess you are not looking to integrate the Heresy pair into your Home Theatre?

If that is the case, and not needing a tuner for radio, but needing amp for TT and CD, and just to power 2 speakers, an integrated amp is likely what you want.

If so, let know and we can proceed.

Welcome  @Tom.Adamson

May be this one with optional simple volume stepped remote.

Some members here have mentioned Rogue Audio.

Read some reviews at Audio Advisor also.

Since an integrated may be in your future, you can get some feedback here. It may be over your price point:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/rogue-sphinx-v3-integrated-amplifier

@Tom.Adamson, you could consider a vintage integrated amp, eg AKAI AM-2950 on Canada Audio Mart in BC list at $1,175 which is a bit high, or a Luxman R-117 also on CAM in BC at $500. No connection with either, both in Canada bucks. I purchased a Luxman TT from the guy selling the R-117, good price, it was in better than rated condition and arrived well packed.  Just be aware that vintage amps can and should be checked out by a competent tech, and may cost $$ to update capacitors etc.  But... I own 3 x Luxman R-117 all driving Heresy and RC-7. Love the sound.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom.Adamson said:

Yes, I think an integrated amp is right for me. I went to the Heritage dealer today and they suggested the Sphinx V3 Amp because it's a highbred of tub and solid state. Didn't hear it so don't know. 

Yes, do a search on the forum here for Rogue, or any other integrated brand. Finding some.

Also, would look at accessories for less for new, open box deals and run them by here.

Thanks!

Are you in the US?

3 minutes ago, Tom.Adamson said:

billybob,

Thanks for your input. I'm not sure I understand, are you saying the Yamaho is a good alternative to the Spinx or is good and better priced? 

Well it is good and better

priced so far. 

Same thing for doing a search here. Has a phono section, remote control not sure of. No preouts. Decent reviews. Should be enough power.

Just another to look at. There are other models brands out there. The Rogue does MM and MC phono. 

• 1 year later...