Replacement Woofer and Midrange Diaphragm for Klipsch Heresy II

Zuffer

Recently acquired a pair of beautiful Heresy IIs in New Zealand. I had the house to myself and was playing them on the louder side. I noticed a small distorted sound come from the right speaker followed by silence in both the Midrange and Woofer. 

I've made sure it wasn't an issue with the amplifier, nor the crossovers and connections, by switching crossover between the speakers and checking connections.

I have been doing my research reading similar posts on this forum. However, I'm at a loss as to how to replace the Midrange diaphragm? There doesn't seem to be any replacements in stock online currently.

As for the woofer, it seems like the best action would to be either by a secondhand woofer from eBay, or completely swap out both drivers with third party replacements from someone like Crites?

Thanks for any information. I desperately want to resolve the issue to get back to listening again.

Welcome! And I take it, their are no sources for parts where you are. You may have to continue troubleshooting to determine if in fact both mid and tweet did blow diaphragms for sure.

Also your crossovers may be stock or have been refreshed.

Suppose Australia may have some Klipsch parts, BTW.

Will check back but meanwhile, others here may well chime in.

Thanks. @Zuffer

2 hours ago, Zuffer said:

Recently acquired a pair of beautiful Heresy IIs in New Zealand. I had the house to myself and was playing them on the louder side. I noticed a small distorted sound come from the right speaker followed by silence in both the Midrange and Woofer. 

I've made sure it wasn't an issue with the amplifier, nor the crossovers and connections, by switching crossover between the speakers and checking connections.

I have been doing my research reading similar posts on this forum. However, I'm at a loss as to how to replace the Midrange diaphragm? There doesn't seem to be any replacements in stock online currently.

As for the woofer, it seems like the best action would to be either by a secondhand woofer from eBay, or completely swap out both drivers with third party replacements from someone like Crites?

Thanks for any information. I desperately want to resolve the issue to get back to listening again.

Klipsch sell the k-28 in the USA for 100$ each , this is the woofer used in the  Heresy III  ,   it's a  drop-in  factory  replacement for your k-24 woofers ...  only problem is klipsch USA parts dont ship overseas   , so you can inquire with klipsch NZ  or Australia ,

klipsch also manufactures a Titanium diaphragm for the Heresy III  , the diaphragm fitS in your Heresy II .so you can  also  inquire with klipsch NZ  or Australia ,

Last  , the best option is a  Heresy II to Heresy  III KIT which cost 280$ per speaker and includes everything needed , the woofer , the Titanium midrange driver and Titanium tweeter plus the  H III crossover   , but once more , these are klipch USA parts , and you would to have a local USA Forum member  buy these parts for you and ship them overseas to your location .

Just now, OO1 said:

Klipsch sell the k-28 in the USA for 100$ each , this is the woofer used in the  Heresy III  ,   it's a  drop-in  factory  replacement for your k-24 woofers ...  only problem is klipsch USA parts dont ship overseas   , so you can inquire with klipsch NZ  or Australia ,

klipsch also manufactures a Titanium diaphragm for the Heresy III  , the diaphragm fitS in your Heresy II .so you can  also  inquire with klipsch NZ  or Australia ,

Last  , the best option is a  Heresy II to Heresy  III KIT which cost 280$ per speaker and includes everything needed , the woofer , the Titanium midrange driver and Titanium tweeter plus the  H III crossover   , but once more , these are klipch USA parts , and you would to have a local USA Forum member  buy these parts for you and ship them overseas to your location .

@OO1 Yeah, honestly being in NZ is an issue in regards to get my hands on any replacements. Kinda annoying. I'll enquire with Klipsch Australia or NZ to see if they have anything available.

If I get there K-28 woofer replacement no updates are needed to the cross over?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Zuffer
Tagging user

Just now, billybob said:

Welcome! And I take it, their are no sources for parts where you are. You may have to continue troubleshooting to determine if in fact both mid and tweet did blow diaphragms for sure.

Also your crossovers may be stock or have been refreshed.

Suppose Australia may have some Klipsch parts, BTW.

Will check back but meanwhile, others here may well chime in.

Thanks. @Zuffer

@billybob

Thanks for the welcome. 

Yeah, very little in New Zealand. I made contact with some companies to enquire about repairs, but no response. I don't think they have access to replacement parts to carry out repair. 

I bought a multimeter to test the drivers in question, the woofer is definitely blown and the mid is still reading, however it does sound slightly muffled so I will probably repair that too.

• Like 1

Take the raw drivers out and tap With with a multimeter for a resistance load (ohms).  If you register 0 ohms or an open circuit, drivers are toast. If not, perhaps crossover maintenance is in order or something was loose.   This will give you the chance also to check driver to speaker connector as well as driver to crossover connection. Either may be at fault.  Post some pics of your speakers mate.   Cheers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Westcoastdrums said:

Take the raw drivers out and tap With with a multimeter for a resistance load (ohms).  If you register 0 ohms or an open circuit, drivers are toast. If not, perhaps crossover maintenance is in order or something was loose.   This will give you the chance also to check driver to speaker connector as well as driver to crossover connection. Either may be at fault.  Post some pics of your speakers mate.   Cheers. 

Tested the drivers today, the midrange is okay but still sounds distorted and the woofer is definitely dead. 

IMG_2309.heic

Just now, Zuffer said:

Tested the drivers today, the midrange is okay but still sounds distorted and the woofer is definitely dead. 

IMG_2309.heic 1.06 MB · 0 downloads

Its VERY difficult to blow a midrange driver based on its xover freq and power handling.   Were you clipping the hell out of your amp?  Perhaps a replacement Diaphragm is in order.   If you do one, do both.  We have a company in the US that is very affordable for said diaphragms. 

Its VERY difficult to blow a midrange driver based on its xover freq and power handling.   Were you clipping the hell out of your amp?  Perhaps a replacement Diaphragm is in order.   If you do one, do both.  We have a company in the US that is very affordable for said diaphragms. 

Yeah, it's not blown, just putting out a slightly subdued sound in contrast to the other speaker..

Would you be able to send me in the right direction?

Any help is much appreciated 

Just now, Zuffer said:

Yeah, it's not blown, just putting out a slightly subdued sound in contrast to the other speaker..

Would you be able to send me in the right direction?

Any help is much appreciated 

I need more than that. Slightly subdued how?  Only the mid driver?  That's strange frankly.  They do have a mid driver gasket that likely needs replacing, but if one does, both do.... What does your multimeter show in impedance for both drivers?   They should be close in impedance.   Less than 1 ohm from one another. 

I need more than that. Slightly subdued how?  Only the mid driver?  That's strange frankly.  They do have a mid driver gasket that likely needs replacing, but if one does, both do.... What does your multimeter show in impedance for both drivers?   They should be close in impedance.   Less than 1 ohm from one another. 

Sorry, I suppose it's just hard to explain. When the impaired speaker is ran by itself it sounds a lot quieter than the other speaker, not only because of the lack of bass. I'll test impedance again and get back to you with the numbers.

Just now, Zuffer said:

Sorry, I suppose it's just hard to explain. When the impaired speaker is ran by itself it sounds a lot quieter than the other speaker, not only because of the lack of bass. I'll test impedance again and get back to you with the numbers.

Lack of bass has NOTHING to do with the mid driver. Sounds to me like you MAY have a crossover issue more than likely. 

REWIND, I apologize.  BEFORE you tap the raw drivers, tap both speakers at the binding posts/hookup available.   Compare them.  If one tests 6 ohms per se and the 20, beginning investigation. Your statement changed from problem in the mids to lack of bass to speakers mismatched?   Sounds like one speaker to another, mismatched OVERALL?  Network, connection problem or both me thinks. 

REWIND, I apologize.  BEFORE you tap the raw drivers, tap both speakers at the binding posts/hookup available.   Compare them.  If one tests 6 ohms per se and the 20, beginning investigation. Your statement changed from problem in the mids to lack of bass to speakers mismatched?   Sounds like one speaker to another, mismatched OVERALL?  Network, connection problem or both me thinks. 

Sorry I've probably done a bad job at explaining the situation.

So I've actually swapped over the crossovers between both speakers, the issue doesn't follow the crossovers. 

I can confirm that the woofer is definitely dead in the defective speaker, and the overall sound is quiet and a little subdued regardless of which crossover is used. Does that make sense?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Just now, Zuffer said:

Sorry I've probably done a bad job at explaining the situation.

So I've actually swapped over the crossovers between both speakers, the issue doesn't follow the crossovers. 

I can confirm that the woofer is definitely dead in the defective speaker, and the overall sound is quiet and a little subdued regardless of which crossover is used. Does that make sense?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Makes MUCH better sense. So perhaps the woofer only is the problem?  Tap the impedance of each speaker with the same crossover connected and the woofers disconnected on each and you will KNOW me thinks. 

Makes MUCH better sense. So perhaps the woofer only is the problem?  Tap the impedance of each speaker with the same crossover connected and the woofers disconnected on each and you will KNOW me thinks. 

I hope so! 

I'll do it tonight and report in. 

Thanks for the guidance. :)

Edited by Zuffer
spelling mistake

Just now, Zuffer said:

I hope so! 

I'll do it tonight and report in. 

Thanks for the guidance. :)

I try, only VERY rarely here. Too many cooks in the kitchen aka geniuses here (I'm not).  Good luck my friend. I may chime in again or not. By the morning, you'll have plenty of responses I'm sure 

• Like 1