Craig/Kelly Scott 299 model differences?

Hofy

The differences are mainly in the tranformers between A and B it seems. Actually, there were TWO A versions, one with the slightly smaller output transformers on the side while the Mk II version has the larger outs in the back. The B has even slightly larger outputs and has a bit more extension in the low end (ever so slight from what I hear). Besides a few other minor differences they are very similar. Looking at a 299a MkII and a 299B there is not different appearance wise from above. I'll let Craig fill in as I am not the Scott man but that is what I have gathered between those two.

kh

Hofy,

299A second version and the 299B are almost Identical and the sound is very close in fact I think I should of never bother for the little difference switching up. Right now there are 2 very nice 299A models up for grabs on ebay and they both look great. Don;t hesitate to go the A route they usually cost about $100 less than a B and this isn't because the B is that much better its just supply and demand there are nopt many 299B to be had I waited 8 months to get mine and now I feel it just wasn;t worth the trouble and doing a entire extra rebuild to get it. Actually the 299a first version isn;t that bad either just have to be careful and get a garrantee that the transformers are good because they had a record of transformer failure but if there still good after 40 years they will probably never go bad. There is also the 222C which is a nice amp by all means and shouldn't be left out here. There also a nice HF-81 on ebay right now.

The 299C/D uses a different Output power tube the hard to find and expensive 7591's as a whole these amps are nice units but I like the 7189 tube better and its has the added benifit of being less expensive and fairly easy to find.

Its a buyers market out there right now time to get a good deal. Keep in mind that its not unusaul for these amps to need at least $200 in parts and labor repairs. Still a steal for the quality of the sound !!!

Hope this helps Craig

Thanks for the info, Craig.

I see that the C/D models use the 7591. That is the same as my Eico ST70. Also the reason I am looking for something that uses a more common tube. I have seen the ones on eBay and I am watching them. I am also watching the HF81 but those have been going high lately, but we will see. I just sold my little NAD 304 integrated on eBay, so I now have extra tube money. 9.gif If, make that WHEN I get one of these units, I will keep your services in mind. I may only need parts but if I run into something hairy it will probibly come your way.

Thanks again!

Tim

The 304 is a nice little amp as far as SS goes. It has a phono section that works fairly well. One of the main reasons I got it was the pre out / main in for using a sub with my sats. I remember reading the review Corey Greenberg did on it along with the 502 CD in 1993. I got the 502 shortly after that but couldnt afford the 304. I did run across it in 1996 on my birthday of all days and on sale! ($299). Guess I didnt do too bad. 7 years later and I sold it for $202.50.

Here is the auction link with pictures. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=1948759997&rd=1