Center speaker for my Belles?

harleyfatboy

I have a Klipsch Academy center right now and wondering if some of the newer centers out there now are better? Was looking at 504c and curious of any experiences or opinions.  For some movies it doesn’t seem like the academy plays the dialogue as clear as I would like…

34 minutes ago, harleyfatboy said:

it doesn’t seem like the academy plays the dialogue as clear as I would like…

The Academy is 30 years old  , and the  tweeter contains   Ferro-fluid ,     you should  check to see if the FF is dried out , as it  can affect  the sound quality of the diaphragm , and yes , the RP-504 C  is an exceptional center ,

8 hours ago, OO1 said:

The Academy is 30 years old  , and the  tweeter contains   Ferro-fluid ,     you should  check to see if the FF is dried out , as it  can affect  the sound quality of the diaphragm , and yes , the RP-504 C  is an exceptional center ,

Thanks for the input I just read up on ferro fluid and how to change seems straightforward enough.  Outside of changing the fluid - any opinions on one Vs the other? I know two different series and make up… but if you heard both - one over the other? 

3 hours ago, harleyfatboy said:

one over the other? 

as the opinion of an average listener ,  imho the RP-504 C wins  with  a whole new experience

if you want to keep the Academy   , the cleaning of the VC area is VIP  ,   a klipsch original  Titanium  diaphragm  would enhance the sound  .

The klipsch part  #   is 127123 , the same diaphragm is used on the Cornwall /Heresy III-IV  , costs  around  $35 .

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

as the opinion of an average listener ,  imho the RP-504 C wins  with  a whole new experience

if you want to keep the Academy   , the cleaning of the VC area is VIP  ,   a klipsch original  Titanium  diaphragm  would enhance the sound  .

The klipsch part  #   is 127123 , the same diaphragm is used on the Cornwall /Heresy III-IV  , costs  around  $35 .

Awesome thank you!  appreciate it

Go with Lascala or another Bell , unfortunately they are  the only speakers that will offer you a no compromise center  . Using any thing else is like settling for the Camaro instead of the Vette , or  like taking the kids to a petting zoo  instead of Disney World ,  you can put anything in there as center ,but  a Bell center  ( or Lascala ) is about as good as home theater gets , and your 2/3’s there right now .🤓

Nice set up , I love the Heresy , used one as center for my Khorns a  long while ago, it offered a very good timbre match , but dynamic qualities made them a bit less than a perfect match for my taste. It was only when I went Lascala center that I was truly satisfied , not to discount your opinion at all , Heresy does work.🤓

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

Never noticed much of a issue with using an HIP for a center between my Belles. Sounded fairly nice to me. The subs helped to not notice the reduction of bass (I guess)

b5.thumb.jpg.2ffb3425d945363dd9a9b5cabcf2478b.jpg

• Like 1

I've put a LS in that spot and it was very nice but didn't make as much of a difference as I thought it would. The K500 mid horn in the Belle is considerably smaller than the K400 is the LS. The difference between the K500 to the K700 in that Heresy is probably about the same. All had the same mid driver and tweeter. I am not really good at critical listening though. I know crap when I hear it, but subtle differences are lost on these old ears. I guess my point is, if you don't have the room or budget for a LS or third Belle, you wont suffer much if you have to use a Heresy. 

• Like 3

All great suggestions - I have LaScalas in another room and another belle or lascala for center wouldn’t work due to space limitations and furniture.  My theatre room is a bit cramped given I have klipschorns behind my belles for my 2 channel set up.  I have a spare set of heresy’s but plan on selling those.  Hence why I was looking at 504c for center for space and aesthetics to possibly replace my academy.  I watch movies and shows with my HT set up and for music I have my 2 channel set up. Thanks for all the great input! 

You may be surprised to hear that many people can make out every word of a song more easily over a phone than over a full-range hi-fi speaker.  This is because the phone is focussed on the all-important midrange ("The midrange is where we live." -- PWK), without the distracting bass and treble that allows the instruments that play in those ranges to sort of bury the vocals on some recordings.  This is why the centre speaker does not have the same requirements as the Main Left and Right speakers.

However, the La Scala was first designed as a PA speaker, so vocals are good through them.  The Heresy was likely the world's first centre speaker, so it's also good with vocals.

In any case, before you spend any money, have you done any experimenting with the volume level of your Academy?  Many people find that it's much easier to hear and understand TV and movie dialogue when the centre speaker volume is bumped up 1 or 2 dB relative to the other speakers.  It's worth a try.

As well, some preamps and AVRs have some kind of EQ available for the Centre channel.  If you dial down the bass and treble so the tonal balance emphasizes the midrange, that might give you the vocal clarity you're after.  Also free and also worth a try.

Good luck on your quest for clarity!  

• Like 2

Ok so i got a 504C last week - and have been doing some A/B testing... I cant tell them apart.. the both sound awesome! the 504C fits better aesthetically....the Heresy doesn't fit in the mix due to space...re running Audessy and getting the room set up really got my Academy rocking....I believe I had the Academy too high before and now that I changed the set up it sounds so much better....I wanted to thank everyone for their input...Im testing the waters of selling the Academy...if it doesn't sell Ill keep it and return the 504C....or reuse the Academy elsewhere...thanks again!

• Like 1