Hersey Info

Hello, I'm thinking of getting these speakers at a local consignment shop and wanted to ask if anyone could give me any additional info based off of the product label.

Here is what the seller is saying:
"Klipsch Heresy H-700 Speakers Pair
From ORIGINAL OWNER w/ registration cards showing sequential serial numbers. Oiled Walnut. 3rd digit in serial# is a 'P' so I am guessing 1980.
Tested and sounding great. If you want to upgrade the crossovers it's an easy plug and play from Crites https://critesspeakers.com/ I did it to a pair of Quartets and it was worth the time and effort."
Asking $850

I'd be hooking these up to a Marantz 8B amp, 10B Tuner, and a 7 Preamp. 

HERSEY Label.jpg

Edited by Binothebear
missing info

@Binothebear

these Heresy speakers  were made in 1976   , Walnut oiled ,  more pictures are needed , I would need to see the condition of the cabinets  ,  as far as crossovers ,    klipsch sell original Capacitors through JEM  @JEM Performance   https://jemperformanceaudio.com/   , so avoid aftermarkets if you want the klipsch sound  .

@willland  was selling a pair of excellent  condition Heresy 1 for 600$ , maybe you 2 can communicate   , if these are still available , grab them

The cost of new crossovers   from Crites is several hundreds of $ ,  plus they use Sonicaps or Dayton capacitors  which color the sound  of klipsch speakers   , 

JEM klipsch capacitors are  not more expensive than aftermarkets + a superior product  , approved by  klipsch Heritage Engineering    .

@JEM Performance   https://jemperformanceaudio.com/   

Ah, much better pics.

Thought they might be in a shop. As for crossover refresh, at least give a month long or more listen before even thinking about breaking the seal on any Klipsch you get.

Guess you could make a counter offer if even interested.

Thanks!

Opinions. All opinions. Here’s mine. 

Laser badge era=higher collectibility (opinion) (to some)

Sequential serials?

Crites vs. JEM. If your pockets are deep enough you can have both and see which one you like best. Can you solder? I have used both with great results, but it comes down to what end you desire. Listen a while before you decide. You may just not care because you think they sound wonderful. 

Are all the corners sharp? All labels intact? How’s the finish? Has anyone “varnished” them (hehe)? All of this is important. The price isn’t bad if all is good. Start counting scratches. How are the grills? Every nick, scratch, bump, chip, snag are deductions. 

Reality is none of this matters if they sound like crap. Personally I would consider maybe $700 for a near mint pair, but I have 2 pair already. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

Opinions. All opinions. Here’s mine. 

Laser badge era=higher collectibility (opinion) (to some)

Sequential serials?

Crites vs. JEM. If your pockets are deep enough you can have both and see which one you like best. Can you solder? I have used both with great results, but it comes down to what end you desire. Listen a while before you decide. You may just not care because you think they sound wonderful. 

Are all the corners sharp? All labels intact? How’s the finish? Has anyone “varnished” them (hehe)? All of this is important. The price isn’t bad if all is good. Start counting scratches. How are the grills? Every nick, scratch, bump, chip, snag are deductions. 

Reality is none of this matters if they sound like crap. Personally I would consider maybe $700 for a near mint pair, but I have 2 pair already. 

Agree with most all of the above, except a little nit.

How are they going to "sound like crap", unless they are run off a phone or have some other physical/electrical defect, or in an airplane hangar.......  If so, well, that's a problem.

Cosmetics are about 75% of the game these days in vintage resale.  (sorry to you naysayers)......everything else is easily fixable.  Not cheap, but fixable.

If you have any interest in a more efficient pair (~102db @ 1W) and don't mind the industrial look I would offer one pair of my Heresy Industrial Ported (HIP)'s for $700 and they are far more potent than a standard Heresy.  They were also more expensive to purchase than the standard Heresy as well.  These would be turn key no updates or modifications needed.  The aluminum trim is removable revealing perfectly sharp edges and corners.  Plug and Play.  Take a nice drive up to Vermont.  

85 Heresy HIP's.jpg

• Like 2

I've seen the ad since I'm in Mass as well. They look like they are in very good condition, but kinda pricey at $850 in my opinion considering they have the old capacitors still in the crossovers. JEM has good caps, sonicaps are good as well. Dayton are decent, kinda flat sounding in my opinion. Contact Crites if you need the work done for you. JEM only sells caps, they don't install anymore. If you can solder or have access to someone who can solder, then you can choose whatever brand you want. I'm in Mass towards the Rhode Island border. I can do basic soldering if you are kinda near me, I can help out.