What Speakers to Get?

Hi,
I have acquired the following Marantz components and need to buy speakers (new or used) in the $1000-$2000 range for a medium sized room.
We currently have a pair of RP-160M speakers hooked up to another system and was considering using these with the Marantz components but have heard such great reviews of the Hersey, Forte, and Cornwalls that I would love to try to find a pair of used ones. If I went with a new pair of Klipsch speakers what would you all suggest. Keep in mine of the $1000-$2000 budget and the specs on the old 8B amp
Marantz 8B Amp.  (https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2010/12/marantz-8b-1962.html)
Marantz 7 Preamp
Marantz 10B Tuner
+ Need to buy a device to stream Apple Music, and my stored digital collection.
Thanks

SYSTEM.jpg

• Like 3

Keep in mind that in the world of Klipsch, it tends to simply get better, as you go bigger.  So you may as well face the reality and go as large as you can afford up front.  Down the road, you will likely want to go bigger anyway so it will be less of a jump

My advice - Cornwalls  or  bust !     Of course I am biased as I currently have 5 Cornwalls = circa 1982 - 1985....

Your Marantz equipment is primo   -  reward yourself with something equal to the task  - if you must go to an alternate go LaScala or K-Horns.  

You only live once  -  and life is short ...

Edited by Guest Vahorns

Nice Marantz stuff! Yes, Cornwall's but also will suggest CF3/4's - smaller footprint and IMO equal or better than CW's. (Haha; NOT a Forte fan.) All can be found used for about $800-1500. Good luck :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Binothebear said:

Hi,
I have acquired the following Marantz components and need to buy speakers (new or used) in the $1000-$2000 range for a medium sized room.

dont waste your money on used speakers 

klipsch has a helluva deal on the RP-8000F  piano black  ,I am not sure if there are any left   ,  hurry up before they are all gone

https://www.acousticsounddesign.com/5982-klipsch-rp-8000f-pb-piano-black-floorstanding-speaker-each

6 hours ago, Binothebear said:

Marantz 8B Amp.  (https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2010/12/marantz-8b-1962.html)
Marantz 7 Preamp
Marantz 10B Tuner

Those old Marantz components generally tied McIntosh for the audiophile rank of the best of the best.

If you like it loud and clean, get high sensitivity speakers.  In a room like ours (4,257 cu. ft.) the 8B's 35 watts per channel ought to get you about 110 dB (113 dB peaks) at a listening position of 13 feet with Klipschorns or Klipsch La Scala (La Scala's bass is attenuated just below 60 Hz, but responds down to about 45 Hz).  The best of the best is reputed to  be the new Klipsch Jubilee, but, from what you say, you would have to save up quite a while to get them.image.jpeg.f6b4177ec4b78ea599c84d047f1c0561.jpeg

Your budget isn't going to get you Heritage Series speakers, new. You almost certainly can get Heresies used at that price range, and most likely Forte's.

If you already have a subwoofer, get Heresies. Most people on this forum will agree with me when I say Heresies are much better paired with a subwoofer. Of course, don't be scared away from trying them; you can always add a sub later. That's the budget entry. Next would be Forte's, which wouldn't need a sub for music and you'll all out crap your pants when you hear them! You'd be very lucky to find a pair of used Cornwalls in your price range.

If you went with any of the new Klipsch speakers, obviously get the floorstanders. The only real difference between them is efficiency and low end extension, but they all play under 40Hz so that should please virtually any music lover. I would choose my floorstander based on how much they would aesthetically fit the room.

For instance, in my room one speaker would have to be positioned in front of a window. Since I don't want to block my window glass, I would pick a speaker under 39" tall and for me that would be the 5000 Series.

P.S. I fully agree with MeloManiac's advice above!

Report back and tell us what you got, and how they sound!