Tube Amp and Klipsch RP-8000F II

Binothebear

Thinking about pairing Klipsch RP-8000F II speakers with my 1960 Marantz 8B Tube Amp, I would appreciate feedback on using this amp with these new/modern speakers. Please take a look at the specs on the Marantz amp here. Would appreciate your feedback.
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/0008b.html
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Marantz/Marantz-8-B-Owners-Manual.pdf

Edited by Binothebear

13 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I am very familiar with that gorgeous Marantz amp, and personally own one.  If you have the room and the budget, I would highly recommend pairing it with La Scalas, Belles, or Klipschorns.

Hi Jimjimbo, I hear ya, but don't have the right room (or the budget) for the La Scalas, Cornwalls, or the Klipschhorns... wish I did.

10 hours ago, Binothebear said:

Thinking about pairing Klipsch RP-8000F II speakers with my 1960 Marantz 8B Tube Amp, I would appreciate feedback on using this amp with these new/modern speakers. Please take a look at the specs on the Marantz amp here. Would appreciate your feedback.
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/0008b.html
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Marantz/Marantz-8-B-Owners-Manual.pdf

The RP-8000F II set is a two way concept, while in the Heritage line, all models are three way. This means there's a woofer for the lows, a squawker for the mids, and a tweeter for the highest frequencies. The overall effect is that you will have a fuller sound, with the human voice richer and fuller, compared to a two way speaker. 

I own a set of Heresy speakers, these are the smallest and most affordable of the Heritage line. I can tell you they can play LOUD, even with my 12wpc Leben Hifi tube amp. 

I also own the RP160Ms in my writer's den, and on their own they are fine, but when I a/b them with my Heresies, they clearly don't have the muscle nor fullness, even when near ear listening. 

In the US, you should be able to find a pre-owned Heritage set within your budget, I'm sure. PSX_20210705_155518.thumb.jpg.4da51e982323a2aa6df3b667a7321df3.jpgPSX_20220715_110938.thumb.jpg.ab6be48aedde5756b1c941ecca7c4ff7.jpgPSX_20220726_191929.thumb.jpg.679059abba89bc9db157fe6489d4d147.jpg

• Thanks 1

The RP-8000 has great reviews so I say go for it. You will not be disappointed matching them with your tube amplifier. The majority of posters on this forum are very Heritage line leaning but that does not mean the main selling Klipsch speakers are not outstanding sounding within their price point.  We are talking $940 vs $3200 between the price of a pair of 8000's vs Heresy's at Amazon and the size difference is substantial as well. Not every wife, GF, is going to like a big box in their living room. My ex never liked my huge LaScala's wanting to get rid of them not fitting her décor. A 2 way system has advantages in some areas over a 3 way. The top of the line Jubilee's are 2 ways.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Binothebear said:

Thinking about pairing Klipsch RP-8000F II speakers with my 1960 Marantz 8B Tube Amp, I would appreciate feedback on using this amp with these new/modern speakers. 

I would think they'd work together just fine assuming the amplifier is working correctly and your room isn't too large or expecting rock concert sound levels. Honestly I'd probably rathe have the 8000-II's over the Heresy's myself if I couldn't run a sub with them. Tweeter height and bass should be significantly better with the 8000's plus they're thinner tower speakers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 8:28 AM, Crankysoldermeister said:

I ran RF-7’s for years with a lot of different tube amplifiers, even zero feedback SET. That 8B will drive these just fine and will sound great. 

What the heck are you doing around here? I seem to recall you saying "a cold day in hell" LOL!!! 

• Like 1