Has anyone out there upgraded vintage binding posts?

I was wondering if anyone in vintage Klipsch-land has found that upgrading the original binding posts is worth the money spent. The Cardas posts seem to be the standard these days and they run about $35 per speaker in copper and $50 in gold. One advantage to the upgrade would be that one could use better quality spades or heavy guage bare wire with these 5-way posts.

The barrier strips used on vintage Klipsch are actually pretty good connectors. The benefit from changing them would be more flexibility in the type of speaker cable termination you could use. If you want a 5-way binding post that will take big spades, banana plugs, or 10 gauge bare wire, go for it. I don't think you will be able to hear the difference between the cheap ones available from $3.95 from many sources and $50.00 ones.

• 1 month later...

I changed the connections several years ago to accommodate thicker speaker wire. It was fairly easy and worked well. I replaced the old connections with gold plated ones. I would also recommend replacing the wire from the new connectors to the 8 post terminal the is near the capacitors. The current wire is a thinner grade and there are better products on the market today.

Don

I have some Forte I's (circa 87/88) that have binding posts on them, but the hole that is drilled through the post to accept bare wire is not large enough to accept 12 gauge wire. What's the best (read easiest-for-a-non-tweaker-like-me-who-has-never-opened-a-speaker-cabinet) remedy for this -- and using banana plugs is not a correct answer. I'm already doing that, but I'd like to eliminate them and have a direct wire connection.

TIA-

Doug

Do you think eliminating the banana plugs will make a difference in the sound?

I have had mine hooked with bare wire and then put banana plugs on them and heard no difference at all before and after.

I really only use banana plugs for ease of hooking them up.....it is much easier to pop in and out a banana plug then it is the unscrew for the bare wire....which barely fit in the little hole to begin with.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player