Chorus I vs Chorus II

I used to own Chorus II's and I really enjoyed them.

I have an opportunity to pick up some excellent shape walnut Chorus I's and I was wondering if ya'll could give some first hand experience comparing the two and describing the differences.

Thank you

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

I used to own Chorus II's and I really enjoyed them.

I have an opportunity to pick up some excellent shape walnut Chorus I's and I was wondering if ya'll could give some first hand experience comparing the two and describing the differences.

Thank you

the midrange horn is different ,   same driver , there are no drones in the back or placement issues , there are twin ports in the front , I doubt you'll even note a difference with the grilles on 

I too owned Chorus II’s for many years. I’ve only heard the original Chorus once and it was probably 10 years ago. I remember it sounded really good and couldn’t tell much of a difference between the two. I think Chorus speakers are the most underrated in the Klipsch lineup. It was really hard to give up the Chorus II for La Scala’s. That said, you can’t go wrong with either Chorus. 

• Like 2

Chorus I sound better at lower volumes. Chorus II takes a little more juice IMO to bring the bass out and equal out the tonal balance. Chorus I is super easy to place anywhere, Chorus IIs are pickier due to passive radiator and needed space from rear wall and side wall to give me what I wanted (perhaps not as ideal in a small room).  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OO1 said:

the midrange horn is different ,   same driver , there are no drones in the back or placement issues , there are twin ports in the front , I doubt you'll even note a difference with the grilles on 

I should have stated that I do know the build differences between the two models. 

I have not listened to the Chorus I's but loved my II's.

The mid horn was a particular point of interest as in the difference betweeen the two models as well as the bass.

If you have the room, are willing to spend the time playing with placement and don't listen at 65 dB (exaggeration) , I would pick the chorus IIs, but they tend to show up less often and for double the price (not worth it to me) in my neck of the woods.   If that were even close to the case, I would pick the chorus I.  If they are close in price and both available considering what I mentioned above, I would pick the chorus IIs 

32 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Chorus I sound better at lower volumes. Chorus II takes a little more juice IMO to bring the bass out and equal out the tonal balance. Chorus I is super easy to place anywhere, Chorus IIs are pickier due to passive radiator and needed space from rear wall and side wall to give me what I wanted (perhaps not as ideal in a small room).  

Well, when I had my Chorus II’s they were cranked to 11 most of the time.😁 That is one speaker that sounds better the more watts you put to it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Well, when I had my Chorus II’s they were cranked to 11 most of the time.😁 That is one speaker that sounds better the more watts you put to it. 

Absolutely agreed.  I would go as far as to say, from my experience, the chorus II is NOT a lower volume speaker.  Perhaps some low watt tube or class A amps could change my mind.... But I haven't auditioned with anything like that. 

7 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

when I had my Chorus II’s they were cranked to 11 most of the time.

No wonder you had those big *** setups and pro LA scalas ha. I don't listen quietly that's for damn sure.   I also don't listen at 11 either... Depends on what's powering the speakers I should say... M never played with 1-5 watts.... 

3 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

No wonder you had those big *** setups and pro LA scalas ha. I don't listen quietly that's for damn sure.   I also don't listen at 11 either... Depends on what's powering the speakers I should say... M never played with 1-5 watts.... 

Probably not quite 11, but I used to crank those babies. Yamaha M-85 puts out a lot of power. I tried many amplifiers/ integrated amps with those speakers. Nothing came close to the Yamaha. If I bought another set of Chorus it would be version one just to avoid the placement issues. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

I should have stated that I do know the build differences between the two models. 

I have not listened to the Chorus I's but loved my II's.

The mid horn was a particular point of interest as in the difference betweeen the two models as well as the bass.

I've had many pairs of each and both are great in their own way exponential vs Tractrix horn is a big difference I personally prefer the Chorus 1 here in the mids low to mid volume sitting right in the sweet spot sounds cleaner and more detailed cost is smaller sweet spot and they get shouty at louder volumes. 

Bass on the Chorus 1 is noticeably less deep but snappier, tighter clean sounding although in certain rooms and with certain equipment they can sound a bit lean at lower volumes. I've said many times I'd much rather have Chorus 1's with a good sub over Chorus II's but without a sub I prefer the II's. Both are great should check them out for yourself only real way to know for sure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Bass on the Chorus 1 is noticeably less deep but snappier, tighter clean sounding although in certain rooms and with certain equipment they can sound a bit lean at lower volumes. I've said many times I'd much rather have Chorus 1's with a good sub over Chorus II's but without a sub I prefer the II's

Has to be room dependent.  I disagree. At lower volumes, Chorus I sound MUCH fuller. Chorus IIs didn't come alive in two drastically different rooms/homes until fed power and turned up. I would give the nod of leaner to Chorus II unless you place them ON or very close to the wall (sounded awful IMO that way and for my taste). 

8 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I would give the nod of leaner to Chorus II unless you place them ON or very close to the wall (sounded awful IMO that way and for my taste). 

I have Chorus II bass cabinets running right now about 12" off the back wall and 6ft from the side walls bass is enveloping even at low volume imaging and sound stage is great no complaints and no need for a sub. Admittedly I have not had Chorus 1's in this place but that has generally been my experiences over the years rooms make all the difference so do seating positions and equipment matching as you know that is why I encourage OP to give them a try.  

11 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I have Chorus II bass cabinets running right now about 12" off the back wall and 6ft from the side walls bass is enveloping even at low volume imaging and sound stage is great no complaints and no need for a sub. Admittedly I have not had Chorus 1's in this place but that has generally been my experiences over the years rooms make all the difference so do seating positions and equipment matching as you know that is why I encourage OP to give them a try.  

We have similar taste in speakers and gear I'd like to think 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I've had many pairs of each and both are great in their own way exponential vs Tractrix horn is a big difference I personally prefer the Chorus 1 here in the mids low to mid volume sitting right in the sweet spot sounds cleaner and more detailed cost is smaller sweet spot and they get shouty at louder volumes. 

Bass on the Chorus 1 is noticeably less deep but snappier, tighter clean sounding although in certain rooms and with certain equipment they can sound a bit lean at lower volumes. I've said many times I'd much rather have Chorus 1's with a good sub over Chorus II's but without a sub I prefer the II's. Both are great should check them out for yourself only real way to know for sure. 

I will be using a sub, SVS SB16-Ultra. One thing I remember from the Chorus II's was the bass hit me right in the chest, it was very tactile. I loved that.

La Villa Strangiato never sounded better on any other speaker.

• Like 1

I've owned both at the same time and have done some A+B comparisons. The speakers weren't setup probably in my room for the best bass sound, but I felt like the chorus 1 had more bass. In my option (everyone's tastes are different) the midrange sound from the chorus II was more detailed and laid back. The chorus 1 by comparison seemed more shouty. You probably wouldn't be disappointed with either, but if you had them side by side, you would probably have a preference.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

It was really hard to give up the Chorus II for La Scala’s. That said, you can’t go wrong with either Chorus. 

I picked up and held a pair of CHII for someone a few years ago. I would pick them as a speaker to have after my LS. The CH would rate up there for easier placement.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I picked up and held a pair of CHII for someone a few years ago. I would pick them as a speaker to have after my LS. The CH would rate up there for easier placement.

Same here. If I didn’t have La Scala’s, it would be Chorus or Chorus II or the pro version. I’m surprised I chose the La Scala’s over the Chorus II to be honest. There is just something magical about the La Scala’s that I really can’t put in words. 

• Like 2