Chorus I vs Chorus II

Well I have been listening to the Chorus speakers now for almost a week and I am very pleased with them.

I just picked up a tube amp today and switched them over from the Marantz SR8015.

The sound is absolutely fantastic, excellent synergy I could not be happier.

My first pair of Klipsch speakers were Chorus II's and I had always regreted selling them to my friend.

Some of what I have owned through the years, Khorns Belles Lascalas Cornwalls Heresy's Kg's RF7II's etc. the list goes on.

Happy to be back with some Chorus.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

Well I have been listening to the Chorus speakers now for almost a week and I am very pleased with them.

I just picked up a tube amp today and switched them over from the Marantz SR8015.

The sound is absolutely fantastic, excellent synergy I could not be happier.

My first pair of Klipsch speakers were Chorus II's and I had always regreted selling them to my friend.

Some of what I have owned through the years, Khorns Belles Lascalas Cornwalls Heresy's Kg's RF7II's etc. the list goes on.

Happy to be back with some Chorus.

Well, you’ve got some of the best speakers Klipsch ever made. Enjoy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

Question, I have seen pictures of these speakers with  the typical flared port tubes instead of just the round holes in the speaker like mine. Are there two versions?

No, it is a modification...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

Question, I have seen pictures of these speakers with  the typical flared port tubes instead of just the round holes in the speaker like mine. Are there two versions

If you get interested later on 

@Chorus1 FanFan.. My has a decent mod for Chorus and has chased down the paraphernalia for doing it, and the sources.

• Like 1

Just be aware that longer ports change the tuning of the system and what you may gain in deeper bass just might be mushy sounding and you can lose definition real easily doing this. At least port tubes allow for experimentation and easy reversal if you don't like them.

5 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Just be aware that longer ports change the tuning of the system and what you may gain in deeper bass just might be mushy sounding and you can lose definition real easily doing this. At least port tubes allow for experimentation and easy reversal if you don't like them.

I was just curious if the factory had produced a different version or update before the II's with the tubes.

He did some things about different than I would do but, he did some measurements also.

Just one of several mods here doing the same over time. You can find them here in the archive by doing a search.

Would enjoy them as is unless.

As said, reversible mod.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

I was just curious if the factory had produced a different version or update before the II's with the tubes.

I have been through a fair number of Chorus 1's and all I have ever seem was the motorboard cutout with no tube.

• Like 1

I searched & read ALL the old threads on here for port mods before I did it (far from the 1st one to try it) The consensus was a 7" total extension was ideal (others calculated it based on Chorus box volume using computerized speaker building programs)

All I know is it added about 5hz on the low end w/o ANY flabbiness (or I would have reversed it) I also bought a bass test tone cd just to test the results (never measured it with a mic), but see the "ear test" results below that I copied from the old thread when I did it:

PRE- RESULTS:

I could hear a noticeable dropoff in volume & sound "fullness" around the 45 Hz test tone prior to my modifications

POST-RESULTS:

After the ports were installed, I can now play a 40 to maybe 39 Hz test tone without any dropoff. They will play lower tones as well, but past 39,  it decreases in volume as it gets lower (bass volume is consistant @ 39-40 Hz and above)

To this day, I still think the bass is tighter & generally just sounds better than before, & I'm VERY happy with the 5-6 Hz I gained on the low end  😎     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sonicseeker,

If you use a hi-res source (I'm a CD fan myself) these songs are all recorded/mixed extremely well & will sound GREAT on most Klipsch. (especially Chorus!)

Police: "Murder by Numbers"  #1 !!!

ZZ Top: "Fool for Your Stockings" (best recording i've found is on "One foot in the Blues")

Pat Donohue: "The Road to Kingdom Come"

Dire Straits: "Six Blade Knife" (remastered version)

Los Lobos: "Kiko & the Lavendar Moon"

Steve Winwood: "Higher Love"

Pink Floyd: "Time"

Thin Lizzy: "Cowboy Song" (remastered version)

KD Lang: "Constant Craving"

Cowboy Junkies: "Sweet Jane"

Shannon: "Let the Music Play"

Copeland: "Fanfare for the Common Man"

Pachelbel: "Kanon" (On Telarc)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

murder by numbers sounds great at any volume, one of my favs.   many other police songs are good too,  walking on the moon, cant stand losing you, de do do do . 

paul simon graceland album has many very well recorded songs too. 

i think moray james was one of the first to suggest the extended port mod for chorus as well as adding 1.5-2oz of weight to the passive of chorus2 to extend the bass a little lower.   

• Like 1