Chorus I vs Chorus II

@SonicSeeker, if the price is right go get ‘em. You will always wonder “what if” if you don’t.

Do you think you could sell them again in a heartbeat for what they cost? As has been mentioned on here before, that’s free rent while you give them a try in your own home. If the answer is “yes” it’s a no-brainer.

I have never owned Chorus 1s, I have had a couple pairs of Chorus 2s and Cornwalls over the years and still have a pair of KP-301s (pro version of Chorus). I went head to head with the Chorus 2s and KP-301 and wound up keeping the KP-301s when forced to decide which to keep for space constraints.

My son and I preferred the ported bass of the KP-301s over the passive radiator Chorus 2s.

It’s tricky to describe, but the bass seems more consistent, not prone to over-emphasis? Seemed to result in a little more definition at perhaps the expense of a little low end rumble.

• Like 3

Unless the OP has some C2s waiting in the wing, for a better deal, would go with the C1s.

And exactly that on the price thing.

Again, awesome speakers, but can't make the deal for them.

Only by going and looking, listen ending can price paid be made to buyer's satisfaction.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtr20 said:

the midrange sound from the chorus II was more detailed and laid back. The chorus 1 by comparison seemed more shouty. 

The Chorus 1 can get shouty sounding at higher volumes so if high level playback is what you're looking for the II's are probably the way to go. I personally feel that the 1's though are more precise and detailed when toed in aimed at the listening position at lower to mid volumes where the Tractrix is open and airy but not as crisp but again all of our experiences are unique in our own spaces and with our own equipment as stated already if the price is reasonable I'd strongly encourage @SonicSeeker to pick them up and give them a try. 

• Like 1

I have Chorus 1 and find them bright with some songs if turned up, but very very good at “reasonable” levels. Very accurate. They are on the keep list. I’m curious about the mid horn on the 2, but hate the rear passive. Placement issue for my space(s). I’ve had KG4 and Quartet and the environmental issues were horrible. 

• Like 2

Picked them up a few hours ago.

I have been listening to them at my house for about an hour or so and they sound great so far.

I have them hooked to my Marantz SR8015 using pure direct. Neil Young playing on cd and he sounds as he should.

I am happy so far.

I will play a variety of genre's and give an update but initial reaction is very positive.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SonicSeeker said:

Picked them up a few hours ago.

I have been listening to them at my house for about an hour or so and they sound great so far.

I have them hooked to my Marantz SR8015 using pure direct. Neil Young playing on cd and he sounds as he should.

I am happy so far.

I will play a variety of genre's and give an update but initial reaction is very positive.

Party time .  blast away :rolleyes:

image.jpeg.7c067d7fe29036e994753829adbf6560.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 10:18 AM, nickyboy6100 said:

Same here. If I didn’t have La Scala’s, it would be Chorus or Chorus II or the pro version. I’m surprised I chose the La Scala’s over the Chorus II to be honest. There is just something magical about the La Scala’s that I really can’t put in words. 

I actually ended up selling my black LaScalas I bought new in 1986 after I picked up my 1st pair of oak Chorus 1's a few years ago. It took about 6 months of listening to decide, (& it may shock some of you), but 3-4 years later I have NO regrets... (& have since added another pair of pristine walnut C1's to my collection) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chorus1 Fan said:

I actually ended up selling my black LaScalas I bought new in 1986 after I picked up my 1st pair of oak Chorus 1's a few years ago. It took about 6 months of listening to decide, (& it may shock some of you), but 3-4 years later I have NO regrets... (& have since added another pair of pristine walnut C1's to my collection) 

Not shocking at all, but I did the exact opposite. I started with Chorus II and ended up with La Scala’s. Chorus II is really hard to beat when set up properly. I prefer both. 

• Like 1

I am a big fan of the Chorus 1 because you can play it anywhere. Outside, inside, in the middle of a room it does not matter because they do not need a wall or corner behind them to work right. Never tried port tubes just a recap and new tweeters and they sound really good. My favorite Vintage and only the KP-301 is better for my tastes.

• Like 3