Is Music getting worse...

Schu

IT IS relative.  My parents, RIP, hated The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin (my favorites to this day).  "How can you listen to that noise, it's obviously not music".  Hmmm....listening to that, noise, courtesy of my LaScalas right now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Seadoc said:

IT IS relative.  My parents, RIP, hated The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin (my favorites to this day).  "How can you listen to that noise, it's obviously not music".  Hmmm....listening to that, noise, courtesy of my LaScalas right now.

My thoughts are that music hit a high point in the late 60s and through the 70s, then somewhat crashed in the 80s due to too much of the new hot sauce (synthesizers).

It rebounded in the early 90s going 'back to basics' with a lot of great alternative together with a huge amount of crappy alternative.  I have seen nothing since that I really like.  

About ten years ago I had a few 20 year olds delivering some building materials, they were listening to 40 years old (at the time) Hendrix.  When I was 20 we did not listed to music from the 1940s (although I do respect the early blues influences to Led Zeppelin) so I am on to something. 

I do like several other music genres (Disco, folk, Jazz, druggie dance music is surprisingly good on a good system), but these are the big ones.

• Like 3

Worshipped at the altar of the Zeppelin for the first 20 years of my stereo life.

A few years ago youtube recommended a Japanese idol video and it was life changing, unlike anything I had ever seen before.  Quickly became fully immersed.

Currently there is a Japanese hard rock band of 5 beautiful extremely talented young women that far surpasses any admiration and appreciation I felt for the Zeppelin.  They will be touring the U.S. in the fall and I am greatly looking forward to seeing them again in a small intimate club atmosphere ( Hard Rock cafe ).  This is just the tip of the iceberg, I've become convinced that no matter the genre, there are young Japanese girls ( mostly ) that are currently ( or recently ) just killing it.

Music is relative to the listener BUT I do think music has gotten worse in my years!  Back in the 80's and 90's, music was fun and you could dance to it!  There were dance clubs and under 21 clubs and DJ's everywhere but now, the music has gone down hill (to put it nicely) and the clubs have dried up, people don't dance as much or as often and all the new stuff sounds the same.  DJ's use digital songs to play their gigs and they are a lot fewer in number with higher prices!  Simple observation on my behalf but I truly think the downhill evolution of music is to blame.

• Like 1

OK, finally took some time to watch Schu's suggested video ( another hot tip:  use closed captions and double speed ).

While  La la la,  la la la,  la la la,  la la la,  la la la,  la la la,  la la la  will forever be a classic, I hope I never suffer Row, row, row your boat ever again.

Certainly not an expert on music structure or composition, but music is repetitious by nature.  Even the great Jimmy Page would often repeat phrases twice within his leads, otherwise they are just runs of notes, which can also be interesting.  Check his leads in "When the Levee Breaks" :  he repeats the same slide lead again, with an extra measure the second time around.

Now back to dissing all the crappy new music....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Racer X said:

Worshipped at the altar of the Zeppelin for the first 20 years of my stereo life.

A few years ago youtube recommended a Japanese idol video and it was life changing, unlike anything I had ever seen before.  Quickly became fully immersed.

Currently there is a Japanese hard rock band of 5 beautiful extremely talented young women that far surpasses any admiration and appreciation I felt for the Zeppelin.  They will be touring the U.S. in the fall and I am greatly looking forward to seeing them again in a small intimate club atmosphere ( Hard Rock cafe ).  This is just the tip of the iceberg, I've become convinced that no matter the genre, there are young Japanese girls ( mostly ) that are currently ( or recently ) just killing it.

Time to name names, X.  Are you referring to Band-Maid?  If you are, I agree with your description of them, and I’ll add that their music can be as heavy or even heavier than any Zeppelin songs, belying their cute appearance, which is their deal, being cute but heavy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Schu said:

the video is talking about the structure of music... not the technical ability of the musicians.

watch the entire video as the conclusions are very interesting.

I need to actually watch the video.

5 hours ago, Racer X said:

If we are talking about Zeppelin, I remember an interview with some famous musician in the 80s who said he would never do a 'ooohhhh baby baby' song which of course Robert Plant did with Zeppelin. 

Are you old enough to remember your parents saying “The music by The Beatles is good, because it can be orchestrated.”, meaning it could be played by a symphony orchestra, no matter how annoyingly.  Hollyridge Strings, anyone?  They seemed to think that this was the litmus test to distinguish between music and noise, “... like that Rolling Stones noise.”, not realizing that with the Stones they were listening to a valid musical form, just not one that was familiar to them, i.e. British rock based on US blues.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Islander said:

Are you old enough to remember your parents saying “The music by The Beatles is good, because it can be orchestrated.”, meaning it could be played by a symphony orchestra, no matter how annoyingly.  Hollyridge Strings, anyone?  They seemed to think that this was the litmus test to distinguish between music and noise, “... like that Rolling Stones noise.”, not realizing that with the Stones they were listening to a valid musical form, just not one that was familiar to them, i.e. British rock based on US blues.

I have Pink Floyd played by a symphony, and I am not a fan, but there is also Metallica played by a symphony which is pretty good.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Islander said:

Oh yea, and the Beatles good really good after they went to India and did a bunch of drugs with the Rolling Stones and Mia Farrow and her sister, Prudence. 

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

So...Pat. are you saying you don't like the Beatles or George Martin's orchestral arrangments?  String settings for pop music can suck you in without realizing it.

Not at all.  The Beatles are great, and George Martin was a great composer and producer.  I just felt sorry for the poor kids who got Hollyridge Strings Play the Music of The Beatles for Christmas because their parents thought that sanitized version was somehow better, or maybe “safer”, without all those inappropriate lyrics.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Oh yea, and the Beatles good really good after they went to India and did a bunch of drugs with the Rolling Stones and Mia Farrow and her sister, Prudence. 

So you’re not a fan of the later, say post-Rubber Soul, music of the Beatles?  I like all of it, from Love me Do on. For me, it was great to see how their music progressed along with their life experiences, although heroin didn’t do John Lennon any good.  It was bad news for Jimi Hendrix, too, for that matter.  John was lucky to get out, while it sent Jimi on a downward spiral with a sadly predictable ending.

I didn’t know that the Stones made it to India, especially at the same time as the Beatles.  Thanks for that info.  So was that Prudence the inspiration for the song of that name?  BTW, the inspiration for their song Michelle seems to have been Michelle Finney, the young Canadian TV personality, who met the Beatles around 1964 or ‘65.

9 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

My thoughts are that music hit a high point in the late 60s and through the 70s, then somewhat crashed in the 80s due to too much of the new hot sauce (synthesizers).

It rebounded in the early 90s going 'back to basics' with a lot of great alternative together with a huge amount of crappy alternative.  I have seen nothing since that I really like.  

About ten years ago I had a few 20 year olds delivering some building materials, they were listening to 40 years old (at the time) Hendrix.  When I was 20 we did not listed to music from the 1940s (although I do respect the early blues influences to Led Zeppelin) so I am on to something. 

I do like several other music genres (Disco, folk, Jazz, druggie dance music is surprisingly good on a good system), but these are the big ones.

You’re overlooking something very important, the huge societal change that took place in the mid to late 1960s, depending on where you lived.  The Birth of the Cool?  Maybe.  Everything was different after that.  Most existing bands changed with it, while some, like Herman’s Hermits, remained in the past.  Up until then, young people listened to more energetic music than their parents did, but it was essentially the same thing.  With the arrival of rock-and-roll in the Fifties, moving on to hard rock and psychedelic rock, there was a dividing line between pre-Sixties and post-Sixties music.

In a broad sense, the young workers were listening to music from the era that started back then and still is in effect to some degree.  However, modern pop music like that from Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, and many more, seems more like Las Vegas show music than the pop or rock music that we grew up with.  All the supporting dancers and singers, the songs written by a committee looking for a guaranteed hit, it’s so different from the singer-songwriter or rock band music that I’ve always loved.

Those young guys likely listen to more modern music as well, by modern rock bands, because the spirit is still living and being carried on, just not at the top of the charts as often as it used to be.  I just listened to the new song by Billie Eilish, TV, and she and her brother Finneas are keeping the singer-songwriter “genre” alive and kicking.  Great music is still being made, it’s just not as dominant as it used to be and still deserves to be.  Why?  Changing tastes, I guess.  People started to get bored with prog rock, and disco came in to please those people.  Later, they moved on, but disco never disappeared, leaving us with another flavour of music to keep our musical palates intrigued or at least interested.

Music is still good.