Is Music getting worse...

Schu

On 8/6/2022 at 7:28 AM, Racer X said:

Following is a list of genres ( if one may be allowed to label, all Japanese ) I never knew existed before I chanced upon a suggested YouTube link:

Japanese idol

Classic Japanese idol

Growth Period idol

Kawaii Metal

Techno Electro Pop

Electro Rap

Jazz idol

Goth rock

Jazz rock

City Pop

Pop rock

Hard rock, World Domination 

All girl bands.  Japanese have a penchant for "The Gap", merging kawaii ( cute ) and cool.  The music, production, and talent is off the charts, and often has unexpected breaks and twists.  The artistry is top notch, fresh, and extremely prolific.  Some of the groups or artists I follow drop songs almost weekly.

Western music is stale, repetitious, unimaginative, and full of hipster posers by comparison. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 9:08 AM, Schu said:

Is Music getting worse?

not necessarily.

Different frequencies create different effects in the brain depending the the desired effects. This has been studied extensively and is well understood.

Brainwave entrainment, also referred to as brainwave synchronization or neural entrainment, refers to the observation that brainwaves (large-scale electrical oscillations in the brain) will naturally synchronize to the rhythm of periodic external stimuli, such as flickering lights,[1] speech,[2] music,[3] or tactile stimuli.

As different conscious states can be associated with different dominant brainwave frequencies,[4] it is hypothesized that brainwave entrainment might induce a desired state. Researchers have found, for instance, that acoustic entrainment of delta waves in slow wave sleep had the functional effect of improving memory in healthy subjects.[5]

wiki

General Concepts and Formal Models of Entrainment by a Periodic External Drive

One property of oscillating elements commonly found in nature is that they are self-sustained and dynamic (e.g., Glass, 2001; Pikovsky et al., 2003). Such oscillators can be perturbed by an external force. If this force is periodic, the natural oscillation may then become synchronized to the periodic event. Synchronization here means that the oscillating element starts to cycle with the same period as the external force. Or in other terms, the oscillator becomes entrained or locked to the external event. In this context, synchronization, entrainment, and locking are synonymous1 (Pikovsky et al., 2003). We will use the term entrainment to denote synchronization to a rhythmic stream (or train) of external events.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2011.00170/full

On 8/5/2022 at 3:45 PM, billybob said:

Early digital had a greater quantization error, and was clipped or compressed to fit the CD limits 20Khz top end.

MP3 is the wholesale slaughter with psycho acoustics added in for the missing music....

If you have a quality analog recording, and digitally encode it at high bit rates, the quantization saw tooth is certainly much less pronounced, although even with in finite processing speed will always be there.

The encoding and decoding algorithms also vary greatly in their effect.

It would be interesting to measure the frequencies above the CD limit on one of their vinyl records to see what is there.....

I believe an analog master encoded with current state of the art hardware and software, can sound as good or better than pure vinyl.

The truth in labeling remains a requirement..

• Thanks 2

The Quadraphonic LPs had frequency content all the way up to 45 kHz.  The problem was that the top frequency limit would gradually become lower due to wear from being played.  I’m not sure how many plays would reduce the limit down to below 30 kHz, or if there’s a frequency below which the grooves would be safe if the record was played on good quality equipment.

The other extreme, of course, was the old gramophones, with steel styli that looked like nails and tracking forces measured in ounces, not grams.  Their 78 rpm records only contained content to 14 kHz or so, and after 20 or 30 plays, it would be down to 12k, and so on, until a 78 with lots of plays would be down to 8 or 9 kHz.  Music reproduction equipment and media has really come a long way.

• Like 1

Just opened my computer today to be greeted by this:

Freshest of the fresh, as usual a great tune along with spectacular video, but only to be expected as business as usual with this band.  Very thankful and I am not worthy....

Was also greeted today by a teaser snippet of new tune from the Jazz idol group I follow, did not expect to hear from that group again....

• Like 1