H series speakers crossovers

3 hours ago, Scott Analog said:

So I have a pair of 1963 H series speakers.

Type HH12

The crossovers are identified as type 4 on the warranty card.

I have not been able to find any info about this crossover, and I would like to replace the caps.

Help

The 1st  post is  Wrong   Advice and  Complete  misinformation  , Crites are not a Klipsch Authorized seller , the products they sell are not approved , nor tested by klipsch   Engineering for klipsch speakers , common aftermarket capacitors  , and worse cloned or repaired  crossovers with such parts cannot  sound as good as klipsch Original  parts  .

JEM    @JEM Performance   https://jemperformanceaudio.com/   , are a klipsch Dealer , JEM  sell exclusively  Klipsch  capacitors that  are approved   by klipsch Engineering  and supplied by klipsch directly  ,   these parts will restore the klipsch Sound  in your speakers 100 %

VIP  These networks require  NOS  or New klipsch  capacitors  , 1963-64 Heresy speakers may not be as historical as late 40's  klipsch speakers , but they deserve to be preserved .

• Thanks 1

Let me post the Correct Advice and  Information .

Chief bonehead

• Klipsch Employees

It’s pretty simple and it’s not very complicated.  It’s just not “Roy” endorsing JEM, it Klipsch.  And for the umpteen time, crites and alk or anyone else and the products they sell, are not Klipsch approved. 

Most people who modify a part on their network have no idea how it might affect the overall voltage transfer, which affects the spectral balance of the speaker. But it’s your speaker....do what you want. If you want the original intent, then replace with original specified parts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OO1 said:

It’s pretty simple and it’s not very complicated.  It’s just not “Roy” endorsing JEM, it Klipsch.  And for the umpteen time, crites and alk or anyone else and the products they sell, are not Klipsch approved. 

Most people who modify a part on their network have no idea how it might affect the overall voltage transfer, which affects the spectral balance of the speaker. But it’s your speaker....do what you want. If you want the original intent, then replace with original specified parts. 

So, you have options...your speakers.

Would listen to them for abit before deciding on crossover refresh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I took the backs off and everything looks perfect. 

The speakers sound great, especially since I added a subwoofer to the mix.

I think perhaps I was considering the caps because the highs are ont as crisp as I thought they should be, but I might be affected by years of exposure to electrostatic tweeters.

Perhaps I'll leave them be and add some nice new bookshelf speakers to enhance the highs.

Thanks for everyone contributing 

Those are the old paper in oils. The sound probably is a little muted after almost 50 years. If you want closest to the original factory sound or voicing, then use the capacitors from JEM that Randy is recommending. If you want a more forward presentation, go the Crites route. 

If you go the JEM route and don’t want to do the work yourself, you can also contact me via PM. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

Sure Randy so since you know where this resource is give me a link. Otherwise just more words for post counts as far as I am concerned. I do know that there are lots of boxes of info that Hunter is aware of slowly deteriorating that there is not enough man power to archive and catalogue and each year they deteriorate more. We saw many of them at the Hope Airport Fieldhouse a couple of years ago. There is a lot of stuff in New Mexico that is not available. I knew an electronic engineer who loves audio that had a chance to see some stuff in the PWK section of the university including a book in a display case on PWK's crossover notes but there was no access allowed. Why don't you post the crossover the OP references here since you say have access. Better yet why don't you make this info available when asked rather than snide answers like "says who".

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

Absolutely correct. I have in the past been able to get information on old Pro crossovers I could get no where else. Bob Crites archived a ton of stuff Klipsch did not save in this area and I have no idea where else you could go to get info like this and believe me I have spent a lot of time looking. Bob loved Klipsch products and was fortunate enough to earn a living in part on something he really liked working with and he kept all the info along the way.

Dave   , You said ,  a Forum Member  "  archived a ton of stuff Klipsch did not save  "

Well , whatever info this Forum Member archived  could only be sourced from the klipsch web site or the Forum threads or klipsch Internal data   , meaning   klipsch  does have the  saved Backups  since it emanated from klipsch's   informational Systems in the 1st place .

I think it’s funny that everyone knows what PK would have thought, done, etc., except the people who actually knew him and worked with him. 

Klipsch is under no obligation to share their intellectual property with anyone. Generate your own data. 

No one was “bad mouthing” Crites, just the normal differing opinions lining up on their respective sides.

If you like the Klipsch sonic signature, do what Klipsch says. If you want something else, do that. What is there really to debate here?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OO1 said:

Dave   , You said ,  a Forum Member  "  archived a ton of stuff Klipsch did not save  "

Well , whatever info this Forum Member archived  could only be sourced from the klipsch web site or the Forum threads or klipsch Internal data   , meaning   klipsch  does have the  saved Backups  since it emanated from klipsch's   informational Systems in the 1st place .

Well I can get schematics from Crites I could find no where else and they were copies of schematics from Klipsch that found their way into the public domain some way or another.  Lots of vintage crossovers from Klipsch in the crossover thread for example which has been my single largest source but not complete by any means. I still want that link to your source for schematics.

6 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Klipsch is under no obligation to share their intellectual property with anyone. Generate your own data.

Sure that is right but on the older vintage speakers, which is the topic of this thread after all, many schematics are out there and proof Klipsch did not and does not care is the thread on crossovers in the tech section. The OP was asking for the schematic first and second opinions on what to do. You even stated those old oil and paper caps were probably muted by now inferring that you just might change them out to new caps. I am interested in the idea of the mylar caps by the way so I am not dismissing what JEM sells. Have you tried them yet?

There was a post after yours that got deleted, and now my post has lost context. I wasn’t really addressing anything you said. This other person was practically demanding measurements, etc., and an assumption that PK would have been cool with that. 

Most of the schematics Bob had, he actually got from Trey. Klipsch normally doesn’t have an issue with releasing schematics once something is out of production. 

another legit cap question... if these speakers are from the 1960's & used paper in oil caps,  how are modern polyester caps going to be the same specs for ESR or voltage curve etc?  if changing to polypropylene caps will mess with the original voltage curve & sonic signature of all klipsch speakers, wont using modern mylar caps change these things too on speakers that didnt originally use mylar caps?  or are modern mylar caps the same as 60+ year old PIO caps? 

this whole capacitor thing is getting hard to follow, apparently modern jem mylar caps will work for all other types or eras of klipsch speakers/caps.  but all PP caps are bad .. mmm k. :unsure:     

PIO has higher ESR than polypropylene, which probably explains the choice to use Mylars when the PIOs were no longer widely available and affordable. 

Roy never said polypropylenes are “bad”, he said if you use them you have to rebalance the network. They most definitely tip the balance up, and most everyone hears this pretty easily.  

• Like 2