Klipschorn Info help

Hello folks,

My Klipsch corner horns seem to have a problem.  I’ve had them for around 10 years, bought them, hooked them up, and simply enjoyed them.  Now when I first turn on the receiver and play music after about 30 secs one of the speakers drops out, but not completely, just sounds scratchy and full of muted static sound.  I have found if I blip the volume up to 5-7 very quickly then back down to listening volume of 1-2 it comes back alive and will be good till I shut down the system.  I’ve noticed it’s not a scratchy volume pot, but seems to be associated with the amount of power I sent to the speaker.  Just blipping the volume to 3-4 won’t do it.  Also if I don’t mute the receiver before I shut it off a loud pop comes through the speakers at power off.

Could these old korner horns need an upgrade of some sorts? How do I tell if is my receiver or the speakers?

1961 Klipscorns

receiver is Marantz 2270

82E9967E-367C-4CFE-A8DB-CDA968E4DCC9.jpeg

BED1B832-CF68-4580-8DDA-F6E6919EE6C5.jpeg

E3847536-262E-4172-B351-CF0BB8DACEAA.jpeg

2EEF7F6F-3348-4F22-A732-5FEF28C2899E.jpeg

4F21B5E4-8D92-4A46-B5A6-51D71C294045.jpeg

39C9A0B2-13E1-47AA-BF02-C4B1782D1042.jpeg

EDD33460-A2FC-4642-ACAD-DE4950E8B67E.jpeg

5B372CD4-2552-4B1D-863C-0E38E222633F.jpeg

• Like 1

Make sure the connections are snug where your speaker wires connect to the crossovers. If that doesn’t solve it, then swap the speaker wires between the left and the right channels at the back of the receiver. If the problem moves, the receiver has a problem in it.

I got my 1967 Khorns 31 years ago due to a problem like this. They were being sold by a little old lady who was on her way to a nursing home. She had a portable CD player connected to an Onkyo receiver, and one of the RCA plugs had an oxidized connection. The first guy that came over to hear them thought that the scratchy sound was a problem with the speakers. He passed on the deal. That was the best $900 I’ve ever spent.

• Like 2

That problem sounds like the classic dirty or arced speaker protection switches in the amplifier or receiver. When you turn the volume up high that sends some voltage through the dirty switch and it jumps the carbon buildup and makes contact, until next time you use the amp. I have cleaned and replaced these switches on several units over the years. I think the high efficiency of the K horn means you don't put much voltage across the switch and it makes the problem more noticeable. People with 82db/W/M speakers are always cranking it up and may never notice your dirty switches. Turning the amps on and off while a source is playing music with the volume above zero will cause the switches to arc and lead to carbon and pitting over time.

Ok, I ended swapping in a pair of Polk Audio SDA-2 speakers and the problem persists ( Have to blip to volume on startup to get one speaker to work, and at shut down there is an audible pop) so it’s as you all predicted, it’s the Marantz.

I have a gig tonight, but tomorrow I can investigate the internals of the marantz, deoxit contacts and pots.  I have deoxit, but will need to attend some YT university to get some direction.  Does anyone have a good link to a legit video on cleaning a Marantz?

Thanks for all your help on this.

5 hours ago, CaptainChaos said:

I have a gig tonight, but tomorrow I can investigate the internals of the marantz, deoxit contacts and pots.  I have deoxit, but will need to attend some YT university to get some direction.  Does anyone have a good link to a legit video on cleaning a Marantz?

Thanks for all your help on this.

Yes deoxidize anyway, especially the volume pot...

Thanks!

lol. Well, I had this problem once and a month later the amp had a catastrophic failure and my loudspeakers caught on fire.

If you are going to use "deoxit", make sure you buy the right kind. Caig makes several different types depending on what you are trying to do.

Vintage gear developing issues should always be serviced.

And typically, gear that has not been deoxidized since new develop problems. Would do the balance, speaker contacts and even source input RCAs.

If fixes fine. If so, likely good to have a tech give it a check-up anyway.

Even switch relays act up, like mine did.  Talking just a little bit. If what you have evaporates quickly, completely, that is good.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CaptainChaos said:

I was talking to my guitar amp tech friend.  He’s does not work on receivers but he suspects with the pop on shut off, that I have a capacitor(s) out of spec.

He could well be right. Have you another something to power your speakers while you are looking for someone to check out your Marantz?

The only other receiver I have is a Technics SA-300, but that is hooked to a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers out in my shop.

Looks like I should start hunting for a backup receiver, then I can send the Marantz out.  I bought the Marantz 15 years ago at a yard sale for $100.  My audiophile friend years ago looked at it and said I got a deal, said it was an early production run, I think he called it a champagne.  Something about the printing on it being embossed and not printed.  All I know is it sounds great with the Klipsch corner horns.  The Polk audio SDA-2 don’t even compare.

• Like 1