Filling Speaker Stands Whats Best

neosoul

Hello all,

I have quartet speakers on speaker stands that I've purchased. Curious as to what material would be best to fill them with? I bought these overseas but are similar to what is currently being sold at deer creek. Just trying to get ideas on what you guys that have stands that are fillable use

On 7/31/2022 at 10:54 AM, neosoul said:

Hello all,

I have quartet speakers on speaker stands that I've purchased. Curious as to what material would be best to fill them with? I bought these overseas but are similar to what is currently being sold at deer creek. Just trying to get ideas on what you guys that have stands that are fillable use

there is no need to fill them with anything  ..

• Like 3

When the smaller boxes on stands became popular in the UK and Europe in the 90's there were many recommendations. The mainstream in audio magazines recommended sand or shot for about 1/3 of the stand height. Then you should fill it up with kitty litter or not do it at all. The problem with not filling a stand is that the stand can resonate and the treble can sound very grainy. But if someone fills in too much e.g. sand, then it sounds, according to the statements of the time, lifeless and without dynamics as if the soul had been robbed from the music. I would personally try it out with different fill levels.

I had at that time "Target" stands that were very heavy and not additionally filled. Today I use with medium-sized LS3/6 speakers stands of the British brand "something solid". They have a thin frame and they are not filled at all because they do not have hollow thick tubes. They also sound very good.

If your stands are assembled rather than welded, sand will likely leak out of the junctions. FYI.

I had assembled stands for small monitors (6.5" woofers) I filled with lead shot. I made the mistake of filling them completely. They must have weighed 90lbs. each

and were a pain to move around. I suggest starting with perhaps 10 or 20 lbs. per stand. The good thing is, low center of gravity will make them very stable.

• Like 1

I think I like the sound of rice vs sand, just wondering if it would be heavy enough to keep the speakers steady enough because they also sit on carpet

On 8/2/2022 at 5:16 AM, michaelwjones said:

I've used shot, but thought it was pricey and the stand became nearly unadjustable due to weight. Skylan recommends dustless kitty litter for their stands. Sand and rice work as well.

Go with the lead shot. There's not much interior volume in those tubes. Looks like mitered corners so you can safely assume the entire interior volume is accessible, at least in the base.

I envision drilling holes into the back side of the base AFTER you find plugs of the appropriate size. Use a funnel to drop the shot in.

4 hours ago, neosoul said:

Hey guys, I apologize for any confusion but here is a picture of my stand to help everyone understand better

063c3519a27e263ff992bdc3f117255c.jpg

I'm not sure I would put much in with your stands. You have a kind of "open frame" stand. I would fill in stands like this one in the picture where you fill a thick column. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

8A289CEC-D24F-44F0-B032-2E8D9401BC03.png

5 hours ago, neosoul said:

I think I like the sound of rice vs sand, just wondering if it would be heavy enough to keep the speakers steady enough because they also sit on carpet

The weight of the speaker should give stability to the stand; the fill is to damp resonance of the tubing (and add "some" weight).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neosoul said:

If you're worried about stability throw a 45 / 50lb weight on the bottom shelf buy or paint it black 

• Like 2