Klipsch Jubilee vs. JBL M2 vs. JBL 4367

diamonddelts

Has anyone heard both? I'm having a hell of a time finding an affordable house build with a home theater big enough for the Jubilees. I might have to downsize but I don't want to give up dynamics with movies or sound quality with music. I'm wondering if the JBL M2 or 4367 are a clear step up in sound quality from the jubilee or would they be roughly equal?

The Jubilees are a fine system, I used to own some. They are large however, which is why I am gearing up to build some JBL M2's.

The JBL factory parts are currently available and will run approximately $1400-1500 per cabinet. It does require a DSP crossover / equalizer. Many brands are available and you can then use your own amplifiers. You will need 4 channels of amplification and the DSP settings have been verified and published. Don't bother trying to "adjust by ear".  The M2 is about 20 in wide, 49 tall and 14 deep. If you keep the volume the same, then you can build them about 42 in tall and a little wider and a little deeper.  Plenty of info on Lansing Heritage site (the threads are long and the earlier posts have some misinformation which is later corrected). The threads over at the AVS forum tend to be even longer and with even more misinformation

I have not heard the JBL 4367. It shares some similar parts to the M2 and has an analog crossover.  I have not heard them, although some that I trust say they are almost on par with the M2 (albeit with a "different" kind of sound). 

My change was simply due to needing something that is more "living room size". 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, diamonddelts said:

JBL M2 or 4367 are a clear step up in sound quality

Heard the JBL 4367's at a local pro audio shop a couple of months ago.  Was impressed, but not enough to spend $8K each on these as an upgrade to my system. Running KPT-904's (DOUBLE 15" woofers instead of a single in the 4367's) with a JBL 4722 HF section (32" horn instead of a 20"?? one). Thought my system was better :)  Yes, these 4367's are good but terribly overpriced :( 

My last exposure to (underground) Jubilees was about a year ago. From memory, the Jubes "won."

• Like 3

15 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

. I'm wondering if the JBL M2 or 4367 are a clear step up in sound quality from the jubilee or would they be roughly equal?

these are 2 totally different kind of speakers  , you cant compare the 2  at all   . audition both and see  which speaker  you prefer .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OO1 said:

these are 2 totally different kind of speakers  , you cant compare the 2  at all   . audition both and see  which speaker  you prefer .

5 hours ago, OO1 said:

JBL states the M2 can be used for cinema and music playback. Can you  expound on why you say they are too totally different speakers?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

The Jubilees are a fine system, I used to own some. They are large however, which is why I am gearing up to build some JBL M2's.

The JBL factory parts are currently available and will run approximately $1400-1500 per cabinet. It does require a DSP crossover / equalizer. Many brands are available and you can then use your own amplifiers. You will need 4 channels of amplification and the DSP settings have been verified and published. Don't bother trying to "adjust by ear".  The M2 is about 20 in wide, 49 tall and 14 deep. If you keep the volume the same, then you can build them about 42 in tall and a little wider and a little deeper.  Plenty of info on Lansing Heritage site (the threads are long and the earlier posts have some misinformation which is later corrected). The threads over at the AVS forum tend to be even longer and with even more misinformation

I have not heard the JBL 4367. It shares some similar parts to the M2 and has an analog crossover.  I have not heard them, although some that I trust say they are almost on par with the M2 (albeit with a "different" kind of sound). 

My change was simply due to needing something that is more "living room size". 

I have received several PMs regarding this, so let me answer publicly about the M2 (I am not involved in building the "alternative"  4367). The parts can be purchased from an authorized JBL dealer. Choices include Simply Speakers in Florida or Pro Sound Solutions in MA. Be sure to understand whether the price includes taxes and shipping and are the parts currently available. Over the last several years the prices have varied all over the place (both up and down) and sometimes the parts were restricted to "replacement parts only" with the usual restrictions. Right now things seem to be available and affordable.

You will need the tweeter horn, the tweeter driver (skip the idea of trying to "upgrade" unless you know what you are doing), the woofer (and hint: the 2216nd is not the same as the 2216nd-1) and the flange plate. There is also a protection circuit ( a cap and a 2 resistor voltage divider). There are reasons why you may want to skip this circuit  or modify it, but you need to think it through. The cabinet stock (for a pair) amounts to about almost 5 sheets of MDF or plywood and the cabinet is well braced. There are factory diagrams / depictions shown over at Lansing Heritage. The ports are not available but you can get "similar" flared ports from Parts Express. With this sort of change, the best advice is to make the cabinet about 10% larger and the ports about 10% longer. Then cut the ports down until you get the port tuning down to about 26Hz (measured with an impedance sweep).  All the parts and their numbers, filters, and cabinet diagrams are discussed over at Lansing Heritage (you will need to do a considerable amount of reading and note-taking). Do not assume there is a Cliff Notes version. There are many details and they are mostly there for a reason. The JBL M2 is special. 

The crossover/equalization is done with a DSP. Skip the idea of creating an analog version. Use the EQ on the tweeter exactly. For the woofer, the factory settings are the best starting point but keep in mind there are some "minor" filters that probably deal with some resonances in the factory built versions. Yours will differ a bit. Use REW and measure outdoors (properly). Do not try and do it by ear. The guy over at Lansing Heritage named "POS" is a real resource. Read his comments and suggestions carefully. There is a good deal of home work on this project. The actual build is easier than the Jubilee and it is easier to to do a nice job on the cosmetics.

I think this is a great DIY project especially since you can get actual parts and info on the actual factory design.  This is in contrast to other projects that I see around here where folks pick parts and crossovers randomly with the "chorus of someone on the internet said it sounded great". 

Either way, good luck,

-Tom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 9:40 AM, diamonddelts said:

JBL states the M2 can be used for cinema and music playback. Can you  expound on why you say they are too totally different speakers

Yes , let me help , you have randomly chosen 2 speakers thinking they are the same  equivalent , well the answer is NO  because there are at least 1000 more that can  play the same type of music 

I am talking of buying Factory speakers .   worth 29k$  for the JBL and 36k$ for the Jube  , and we can throw in a 3rd contender ,  the Tannoy Westminster but these are 55k$  .

Differences ,2 totally different sounding speakers    yes both play cinema and music but that's the only common point  ,

you have to sample both speakers , since you may not like either one , or you may prefer one over the other .

the JBL is a Studio Monitor .......a reference speaker used for recording  Studios in a sealed Booth  for accurate sound reproduction  like a fine instrument ,  the JBL has a dual voice coil compression driver  --Frequency response 20Hz to 40kHz.    smaller HF horn  waveguide ,  bass reflex LF single 15 inch dual voice coil woofer .  weight is 129 lb

the  Heritage Jube is not a Studio Monitor  , it has huge horns for small cinema  theaters   the Jube has  a single voice coil compression driver and 2 ....12 inch woofers  -Frequency  response is under 20Hz to 20kHz  , weight is  a tad above 400 lbs 

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

Yes , let me help , you have randomly chosen 2 speakers thinking they are the same  equivalent , well the answer is NO  because there are at least 1000 more than play the same type of music 

1st of all , I just want to clarify , we are not talking of building DIY speakers , I am talking of buying Factory speakers .   worth 29k$  for the JBL and 36k$ for the Jube  , and we can throw in a 3rd contender ,  the Tannoy Westminster but these are 55k$  .

Differences ,2 totally different sounding speakers   with no comparison at all , yes both play cinema and music but that's the only common point  ,

you have to sample both speakers , since you may not like either one , or you may prefer one over the other ....... the JBL is bass reflex with a smaller horn  waveguide  , the Jube is horn loaded in the LF and the HF has huge horns , some people like the sound of   horns , others dont  .

the JBL is Studio Monitor .......a reference speaker used for recording  Studios in a sealed Booth  for accurate sound reproduction  like a fine instrument ,  the JBL has a dual voice coil compression driver  --Frequency response 20Hz to 40kHz.    smaller HF horn  waveguide ,  bass reflex LF single 15 inch woofer .  weight is 129 lbs so quite light weight 

the Jube is not a Studio Monitor  , it has huge horns for small cinema  theaters   the Jube has  a single voice coil compression driver and 2 ....12 inch woofers  -Frequency  response is under 20Hz to 20kHz  , weight is  a tad above 400 lbs 

Thank you for your reply. I already have a older pair of Jubilee's. But I'm not sure where I can hear a pair of JBL M2s in the Austin Texas area. They are hard to find locally.

If the JBL M-2 speakers are discernibly more accurate than the Jubilees, I would be willing to make a change.

Thank you for your reply. I already have a older pair of Jubilees. But I'm not sure where I can hear a pair of JBL M2s in the Austin Texas area. They are hard to find locally.

If the JBL M-2 speakers are discernibly more accurate than the Jubilees, I would be willing to make a change

To the OP: the price and packaging of the JBL M2's are incorrectly stated in this  thread. They are not being sold at $25 k with amplifiers. New ones can be purchased for thousands less. They are also on the used market, and they can also be purchased without the Crown amplifiers. 

If you are intent on the Jubilees (new or old style);   1) the new ones are cost prohibitive (IMHO), 2) the older style are no longer being produced and there are very few on the used market (there is an exception but the price was incredibly jacked up to the point where it no longer had a good performance to price ratio). 

Good luck,

-Tom

EDIT: I see you just posted that you have the old style Jubilees. At this juncture you really need hear the other speakers (JBL M2's or 4367's etc, etc). At this price point there are some great speakers out there, each with their own personalities. Is there something specific that you don't care for with the old style Jubilees? I thought they were very good, especially at $8.5K. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OO1 said:

Audition the speakers 1st , then make a decision 

I agree, just my 2 cents, but if I was going to spend $10k on speakers that I wasn't sure I would like, I would spend an additional $1k and take a trip somewhere where I could audition.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LTusler said:

Seems to me that any room large enough to be a decent HT room, should be large enough to use Jubilees in.

Most of the HT rooms I've seen are narrow and deep. I haven't seen any wide enough to have 2 jubilees flanking a  small pj screen such as 110" diagonal.

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

I agree, just my 2 cents, but if I was going to spend $10k on speakers that I wasn't sure I would like, I would spend an additional $1k and take a trip somewhere where I could audition.  

I've searched everywhere.  I've not seen anyone with a show room  containing a pair of JBL M-2s in the state of Texas.

If you like your Jubilee’s, then the new Klipsch Lascala would be a logical downsize replacement, the JBL is going to take you in another direction , so I’d listen to them very closely before you give  up on the biggest Klipsch sound .🤓

I've searched everywhere.  I've not seen anyone with a show room  containing a pair of JBL M-2s in the state of Texas.
I think you missed my point. Take a plane trip to a location such asNew York city, Cincinnati, LA, anywhere. Stay over a couple nights and spend a day auditioning.

I live in Nebraska, if I was going to buy Jubilees, I would fly/drive to PHT and audition. One could also get on every forum to search for a private owner that would be willing to let you visit. I think it would be worth the investment, plus the bonus of the trip.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2